This just happened, light saber line

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Do I wait until Google runs out of pixel 2 xl and get a replacement pixel 3 xl (maybe in 6 months) since I'm under warranty for two years or just replace now?
f2e8a77bbc6ef9129b13e5875f26da7e.jpg

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Was there a drop involved? This happens due to a disconnect of part of the display connection to the motherboard. Google can either provide a warranty replacement or direct you to a partner, such as uBreakiFix to get it repaired. I wouldn't count on waiting out the Pixel 2 stock... they're still being made and sold; and you're advertising your intentions in a public forum.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
No drop, just showed up this morning after it had been on an hour.
Was there a drop involved? This happens due to a disconnect of part of the display connection to the motherboard. Google can either provide a warranty replacement or direct you to a partner, such as uBreakiFix to get it repaired. I wouldn't count on waiting out the Pixel 2 stock... they're still being made and sold; and you're advertising your intentions in a public forum.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't count on waiting out the Pixel 2 stock... they're still being made and sold...

This. Even if the Pixel 2 isn't being actively produced anymore, they still likely have a lot of refurbish units that are waiting for warranty claims to come in and replace those phones.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ya, but what if I wait until the 23rd month of my warranty? Although I don't see that happening, this line is distracting.
This. Even if the Pixel 2 isn't being actively produced anymore, they still likely have a lot of refurbish units that are waiting for warranty claims to come in and replace those phones.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Does the green line appear only on the lock screen?
It doesn't look terrible, but I'd worry about more battery drain because of it.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why would that make a difference? Warranty exchanges are based on what's available for exchange, not what is actively being sold.

I took it as instead of replacing now, wait until the Pixel 2s are no longer available and hope to get a Pixel 3 as a replacement.
I know someone who received an OG Pixel XL when a Nexus 6P was warranteed, due to the bootloop issue, after 6Ps were no longer available as replacements.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Exactly.
I took it as instead of replacing now, wait until the Pixel 2s are no longer available and hope to get a Pixel 3 as a replacement.
I know someone who received an OG Pixel XL when a Nexus 6P was warranteed, due to the bootloop issue, after 6Ps were no longer available as replacements.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I just got a second warranty replacement (mic stopped working on the replacement, and that one was sent due to the volume rocker falling out of my original phone), and they actually sent me a new phone. It was in the retail packaging, unlike the special box they have for the refurbished phones that they send out. Maybe I got a new phone because the refurbished phone that they sent me wasn't working right.

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Just got a replacement Pixel 2 from Verizon last week. USB C port went bad on my original.
Assuming it was a refirb since the phone itself was all that I received - no Google box, cables, etc
But looks and performs like brand new

mahers

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Totally dead, they are sending me a replacement this week and the original warranty stays in place!

My XL2 did this late night on Day 30 after buying it from Target. I took it back the next day, and asked them to do a swap for a new one. I had reached out to Google about a warranty replacement, but, A. they wanted me to ship it to them before I could get a replacement, and B. the replacement would likely be a refurb (which infuriated me since I had it for a month). Luckily, Target was cool about it and I got a new one. I had found that this issue was more prevalent on the black and white model, so I was ok with an all black replacement. Sounds like you are getting the replacement before having to send yours back, which is much more accommodating.

bigbearballs

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they said I could do that since I bought it from the Google store
My XL2 did this late night on Day 30 after buying it from Target. I took it back the next day, and asked them to do a swap for a new one. I had reached out to Google about a warranty replacement, but, A. they wanted me to ship it to them before I could get a replacement, and B. the replacement would likely be a refurb (which infuriated me since I had it for a month). Luckily, Target was cool about it and I got a new one. I had found that this issue was more prevalent on the black and white model, so I was ok with an all black replacement. Sounds like you are getting the replacement before having to send yours back, which is much more accommodating.