Google Play notifications not working

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't made any progress with the original problem - no notifications before or after auto-update, but I have confirmed that auto-update only occurs when the phone is plugged into the charger. It doesn't matter what is the state of my battery - the apps only auto-update when it is plugged in.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I haven't made any progress with the original problem - no notifications before or after auto-update, but I have confirmed that auto-update only occurs when the phone is plugged into the charger. It doesn't matter what is the state of my battery - the apps only auto-update when it is plugged in.

It might be time to factory reset and put this issue (and possibly others) behind you. I've noticed that after a certain amount of time my Android phones start developing niggling, irritating little problems, and a factory reset will make the phone feel like new, and fix problems you didn't even know you had.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What do I loose in a reset - not a problem if is just reinstalling all my apps and contacts. Anything else?
Assuming that you have your contacts synced to your Google account, and your pictures/videos automatically backed up via the Google Photos application, the two biggest things are your setup (Home screen layout, specific wallpaper, particular settings) and your messages. I wouldn't trust Google with my messages (IIRC it only does 60 days worth, and no MMS) so I'd recommend SMS Backup & Restore Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestorePro
Other than that you should be fine (barring any games or other apps that store data locally rather than in the cloud).

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I have notifications partially working. In Google Play Settings>Notifications I have turned on both Pre-registration and Deals and promotions. Now I get a notification when apps are auto-updated. I still do not get notification that app updates are available, but not yet applied.

Fig Wilson

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem on two Moto X4's after upgrading to Pie. After some time and factory resets, I started getting notifications from Outlook app that had been missing, but Play would not auto-update on the phone set to, and would not notify of updates on the phone set to notify only.

Finally I started on mine to go through developer options. Still no luck.

I even created a shortcut to settings widget on desktop to show the notifications log. No sign notifications were ever happening.

Finally, I went back and started digging through advanced settings. Here's what finally fixed it (confirmed on my wife's phone as well).

1) Settings...
2) Apps and notifications...
3) Advanced...
4) Special App Access...
5) Notification Access...

Here's where the two phones differed. Mine had Moto Launcher, Microsoft Launcher, and Android Setup enabled.
The other phone had two Android Setup enabled plus Moto Launcher.

When toggling these off and back on are some interesting comments about how this can allow apps to do things with notifications. Screenshot_20190317-172808.jpg
Screenshot_20190317-172756.jpg

In the end, we found that turning off this setting fixed it temporary, till the next restart, but the Android Setup would have this enabled again. When we went to apps.. show system... And disable Android Setup.... It continues working across restarts... What I don't know is whether there is any I'll effect in having Android Setup disabled.

We are getting play notifications (my phone)/ auto updates (hers).

Interested to know if this workaround solves the issue on Pixel..

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Fig,

I tried your settings on my Pixel 2. I don't have Android Setup (but I do have Action Services). Understandably I don't have Moto Launcher or Microsoft Launcher - I have Pixel Launcher. Pixel Launcher was enabled, but Action Services was not - I enabled Action Services but I still do not get notifications of available updates.

Sliver85

May 22, 2019
Visit site
I had the same issue, and disabling notification access for both Android Setup apps fixed it. I would guess it intercepts those during initial setup to avoid bombarding you with install/update notifications, but it never releases the hook. Anyway, disabling access fixed it here.

Fig Wilson

May 22, 2013
Visit site
What do you means by "android setup apps?" Which apps are you referring to?

Post #26 above should give the long drawn out explanation, but in short on our X4 phones,
1. Go to Settings... Apps & Notifications... Expand 'See all apps...'
2. Click the menu icon top right a ND choose 'Show system'

In the list that follows my phone had two named 'Android Setup' (my wife's running same version had only one). I disabled both these apps (and the one on hers).

We've gone through a couple cycles of the monthly security updates since disabling the setup apps with no ill effects.

Play store continues to behave as desired. My phone is set to prompt for updates and it does so daily. Her phone auto updates as needed. Neither were working before that change.

Regards!

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Fig,

My phone is a Pixel 2. I have no such app/s on my phone :(

Maybe the "Android Setup" app/s are specific to your phone manufacturer, and not generic Google apps?

The mystery continues ...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech