Google Play notifications not working

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Running standard Android 9 (including October 5 update) on Pixel 2. Recently Google Play stopped sending notifications of available updates. Settings in Google Play seem to be correct. I suspect the problem relates to permissions either for Google Play or something more generic, but for the life of me I cannot find anything.

Any ideas?

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I am not having the issue are you sure all notifications are on and the play store is updated? Try resetting your phone I reset mine daily and never have any issues.

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not having the issue are you sure all notifications are on and the play store is updated? Try resetting your phone I reset mine daily and never have any issues.

Yes, notifications are activated and Play Store is up-to-date (12.3.19-all)

I reset my phone regularly.

I suspect the problem is related to some global setting (notifications, location, do-not-disturb) that is overwriting the settings for Play Store.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I suspect the problem is related to some global setting (notifications, location, do-not-disturb) that is overwriting the settings for Play Store.
You could try clearing the cache and data of the Google Play Store app and then checking the settings after firing it up again.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
OK, tried that, but problem still remains.
You could try taking a look at the Notification Log to see if it's being logged but not displayed for some reason.
To access the Notification Log long-press on the Home screen, choose Widgets, scroll through the list and select the Settings (1x1) widget and place it on the Home screen. It'll give you a list of options to choose from - pick (I think it's the first one) Notification Log.
Either you can periodically check the Google Play Store to see if there are any updates, then check the Notification Log to see if it previously listed them, or you could roll back a stock app by uninstalling the latest updates and then check the Notification Log to see if it's showing an update available (since there should be).

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You could try taking a look at the Notification Log to see if it's being logged but not displayed for some reason.
To access the Notification Log long-press on the Home screen, choose Widgets, scroll through the list and select the Settings (1x1) widget and place it on the Home screen. It'll give you a list of options to choose from - pick (I think it's the first one) Notification Log.
Either you can periodically check the Google Play Store to see if there are any updates, then check the Notification Log to see if it previously listed them, or you could roll back a stock app by uninstalling the latest updates and then check the Notification Log to see if it's showing an update available (since there should be).

Excellent suggestion! I rolled back the Clock app: Play Store indicated app waiting for update, but nothing logged in Notification log.

In the Play Store notification settings, Updates set ON, and Auto-Updates set ON. When I look at Google Play Store in Apps, Notifications is set to On; and for Google Play Services, Show Notifications is set On (but Devices and Devices within reached are both unchecked)

Any ideas?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Unless I'm misunderstanding something I believe when you have auto-updating turned on in the play store you don't get any notifications, your apps are silently updated in the background. I could be wrong though, I always turn off auto-updating and manually update everything....... and I do get notifications for available updates.

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have auto-update turned on - I like to know what apps are going to be updated. But I am not getting notifications that updates are available,

(BTW, in the Play settings, you can configure to receive notifications when Play "automatically updates your apps.")

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
for Google Play Services, Show Notifications is set On (but Devices and Devices within reached are both unchecked)
FWIW I have both of those enabled. Pretty sure they were checked by default; at least, I don't remember fiddling with them.

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Getting same problem here. Did you manage to solve the problem?

No. still have the problem that I do not receive notifications of Play updates.
I now have auto-update enabled, but it looks like the auto-update only works when the phone is plugged into the charger.
I get notification if I install a new app, but nothing when existing apps are updated.

Mendibil

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
No. still have the problem that I do not receive notifications of Play updates.
I now have auto-update enabled, but it looks like the auto-update only works when the phone is plugged into the charger.
I get notification if I install a new app, but nothing when existing apps are updated.

That's exactly what happens to me. I've looked through all the settings and i don't know what to do.

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what happens to me. I've looked through all the settings and i don't know what to do.

There is obviously a setting somewhere - not necessarily for Google Play - that is blocking the notifications. I am guessing that the problem is with some other (related?) app or some permission, but I haven't been able to figure it out.:(

Mendibil

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
There is obviously a setting somewhere - not necessarily for Google Play - that is blocking the notifications. I am guessing that the problem is with some other (related?) app or some permission, but I haven't been able to figure it out.:(

That's what I think, too. I'll let you know if I find it.

booke02

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I haven't made any progress with the original problem - no notifications before or after auto-update, but I have confirmed that auto-update only occurs when the phone is plugged into the charger. It doesn't matter what is the state of my battery - the apps only auto-update when it is plugged in.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

That's one of my main gripes with Android.... and it's a big one.... there's WAY to many settings buried WAY to deep. Not user friendly at all. We're tech geeks and we have to help each other out..... what's the average non forum reading Joe supposed to do? That's why I leave everything at default settings, I have WAY more important things to be doing than spending hours d*cking around with a phone.

Plus it makes factory resets MUCH easier..... I don't run any third party apps, so after an fdr I just pick a wallpaper and go! ;-)

I'll leave the in depth customizing to the folks with loads of patience...... and that ain't me lol.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Me too, and on both my LG V35 with current Android, and my Galaxy Tab S2 with the older version. Neither is getting updates anymore. Did anybody find anything??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar