Microphone problems - works on video, nothing else

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
My microphone isn't working for voice to text (keyboard microphone button), or for Assistant, or for phone calls. However, recording a video it picked up sound just fine, so it's not like the microphone has physically failed.

All updates are installed (the problem started before the latest security patch). Everything was working fine at some point yesterday, so it didn't begin with an update either. Reboots haven't helped.

I've only had this for about 2 weeks, and I've taken very good care of it. I'm pretty sure this is a software issue, not hardware.

Any thoughts?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Chatted with Google's support. We tried turning off Bluetooth, tried Safe Mode, couple other things... and they're having me return/exchange the phone. A bit frustrating when I bought it at a Target that's 2+ hours away... :p Waiting to hear back from Target for a hopefully better solution.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My microphone isn't working for voice to text (keyboard microphone button), or for Assistant, or for phone calls. However, recording a video it picked up sound just fine, so it's not like the microphone has physically failed.

Any thoughts?
FYI the items that you listed use the front (bottom) microphone and video recording uses a different microphone. I'm willing to bet that if you put your phone call on speakerphone that would work (since it uses the same microphone that video recording does).
Sounds like your microphone died. Sorry.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
FYI the items that you listed use the front (bottom) microphone and video recording uses a different microphone. I'm willing to bet that if you put your phone call on speakerphone that would work (since it uses the same microphone that video recording does).
Sounds like your microphone died. Sorry.

Thanks. Yeah, I ended up trying the speakerphone as well, and it does work. Good to know about the 2 different mics, sounds like that's the issue. *sigh*