Anyone has SOLID recommendation for a Screen Protector for Pixel 2 XL?

ymaz108

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Since I got Pixel 2 XL at the end of July 2018 as a replacement for LG G4 (I've replaced it so many times, the VZ rep recommended to go Pixel 2 XL), I have been TRYING several Screen Protectors...

As it has CURVED edges (Dome), everything I tried has FAILED...

The current one (I bought on Amazon) HAD been working, but a week or so ago, I dropped my phone and the screen protector POPPED right out...!
Fortunately, my phone was fine, and I put the protector back right away... but I noticed the whatever the adhesive had before was almost gone...

And since then, a few times, the protector slid off, then this morning while I was driving to work, I had it on the cradle which is on the windshield. As I was trying to adjust the brightness of the screen, the protector slid a bit, and ALMOST fell off!... :(

So, I'm in search of a different Screen Protector.

I wanted to know if anybody has a GOOD one actually working without the problem.

By the way, the item I got from Amazon was no longer available... although the seller has a different item page... not sure if it's the same one or not.

Anyway, I'm a bit hesitant to buy from them (I did send a complain to the seller as well, so I will see).

And I searched extensively on Amazon WITH a help of www.fakespot.com... and I found out quite a few of the higher star-rated items had deceitful, unreliable and low quality reviews unfortunately... :(

SO, I decided to reach out fellow Pixel 2 XL Users for Help!

I hope someone can help me!

Thank you in advance.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Same issue for my wife, i have to replace hers every few days, it's getting expensive

I'll look into the Whitestone Dome, look forward to other suggestions.... if there are any

Thanks in advance
Rick

ymaz108

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Whitestone Dome on mine for almost a year. Expensive but good.

Hi chriskwarren,

Thank you for the recommendation.
I did see it while I was browsing Amazon... But as you stated it is pretty expensive...! And also I noticed and read some pretty high ratio (28%) of 1 Star reviews... So, I skipped it. :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JR1HT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6393895

I take very seriously about the customer service quality and even though they offer "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty", to receive the replacement for you have to pay for $15 shipping cost?! hummm...

Hope fully I get other recommendations...

But Thank you for anyway, and I'm glad to hear it's working for your wife!

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Agree, i'll keep searching for a solution, didn't care for the shipping info, lack of customer service and some of the reviews regarding how to protect the speakers... with tape while applying the glass.... have turned me away

Thanks, Rick

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hope fully I get other recommendations.
You can look through the Pixel 2 Accessories sub-forum, which is where this topic has been discussed extensively.
If you want a quick and dirty recommendation, I got a tempered glass screen protector from the Verizon store that fit very well and lasted quite a while (until I dropped the phone at night taking pictures; a slight crack developed over time and I finally removed it).

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Since I got Pixel 2 XL at the end of July 2018 as a replacement for LG G4 (I've replaced it so many times, the VZ rep recommended to go Pixel 2 XL), I have been TRYING several Screen Protectors...

As it has CURVED edges (Dome), everything I tried has FAILED...

The current one (I bought on Amazon) HAD been working, but a week or so ago, I dropped my phone and the screen protector POPPED right out...!
Fortunately, my phone was fine, and I put the protector back right away... but I noticed the whatever the adhesive had before was almost gone...

And since then, a few times, the protector slid off, then this morning while I was driving to work, I had it on the cradle which is on the windshield. As I was trying to adjust the brightness of the screen, the protector slid a bit, and ALMOST fell off!... :(

So, I'm in search of a different Screen Protector.

I wanted to know if anybody has a GOOD one actually working without the problem.

By the way, the item I got from Amazon was no longer available... although the seller has a different item page... not sure if it's the same one or not.

Anyway, I'm a bit hesitant to buy from them (I did send a complain to the seller as well, so I will see).

And I searched extensively on Amazon WITH a help of www.fakespot.com... and I found out quite a few of the higher star-rated items had deceitful, unreliable and low quality reviews unfortunately... :(

SO, I decided to reach out fellow Pixel 2 XL Users for Help!

I hope someone can help me!

Thank you in advance.
I'm confused. Why get a screen protector? Had my P2XL a year and never thought of getting one. No scratches that I can see.

That said, I have heard Whitestone Dome is neat.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi chriskwarren,

Thank you for the recommendation.
I did see it while I was browsing Amazon... But as you stated it is pretty expensive...! And also I noticed and read some pretty high ratio (28%) of 1 Star reviews... So, I skipped it. :(

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JR1HT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6394267

I take very seriously about the customer service quality and even though they offer "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty", to receive the replacement for you have to pay for $15 shipping cost?! hummm...

Hope fully I get other recommendations...

But Thank you for anyway, and I'm glad to hear it's working for your wife!
One star reviews for that product are by people who cannot follow instructions and have a short attention span.

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I recommend any Armour suit product. I've used a bunch of them on all sorts of different devices. They're moderately priced, last forever and easy to install. They also come with a lifetime warranty..

ymaz108

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Well, I don't think I'm clumsy, but there had been at least 4 occasions I dropped my phone... on the tiled floor twice, on the carpeted floor once, then just yesterday morning, on the chunky rocked surface of backyard (it slid out of the pocket of my robe...), which finally shattered the already-POPPING-Off screen protector...
Fortunately, the package came with TWO, so I right away replaced, but now when I touch the bottom area of the screen, it makes clicking sound... :'(

So, I DO feel better with a screen protector.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, I don't think I'm clumsy, but there had been at least 4 occasions I dropped my phone... on the tiled floor twice, on the carpeted floor once, then just yesterday morning, on the chunky rocked surface of backyard (it slid out of the pocket of my robe...), which finally shattered the already-POPPING-Off screen protector...
Fortunately, the package came with TWO, so I right away replaced, but now when I touch the bottom area of the screen, it makes clicking sound... :'(

So, I DO feel better with a screen protector.
Sounds like you need an OtterBox AND a screen protector!!

ymaz108

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I recommend any Armour suit product. I've used a bunch of them on all sorts of different devices. They're moderately priced, last forever and easy to install. They also come with a lifetime warranty..

Hi jonathan,

I was skeptical about the Armour Suit screen protector... as it comes ROLLED UP instead of flat... I guess it's because it's NOT tempered glass material...
Also, it doesn't have cut-outs for the upper area, instead cut around... I thought it might get dusty in those sections?

Sounds like you need an OtterBox AND a screen protector!!

Ha Ha, Michael!

As I live in AZ, I got THIS instead and it has been protecting my phone AROUND & BACKSIDE!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6394932

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have up trying to find a good tempered glass one to be honest. Most have that air gap under the screen, so rainbow distortion is common. There are a few that don't, but they are really pricy...

I ended up going with a plastic one for the first time in about four years.. the IQShield one. It was cheap, at $10 for two in the box, and really easy to install... It uses a wet install method. It was the first time I did a wet install so the first time was a little odd. But the wet install method, by a Grand Canyon wide margin, is the easiest install I've ever done. And the fact that you can adjust it a bit made for a perfect fit.

The plastic has self healing properties, scratches and gouges fade over time, and the feel isn't bad. It's not glass, but it's does not have that plastic wrap sticky feel. And it does a great job with fingerprints too. I get obsessive with smudges on my phone, cleaning constantly. But I don't feel the need to clean this much. And to top things off, the 'case friendly' version I have fits my Spigen tough armour case perfectly... Unless you look really carefully, it almost has the appearance of an fully enclosed case

I'm on my second one (in a year) and they hold up really well... It's not beat up and no bubbles or places where it pulled up on the edge. The other day I took it out of the case to clean out some of the dust that had accumulated along the edge and I accidently peeled up the corner a bit and it got gunked with the dust... I used the spray it came with to clean up the dust on the flap and pressed it back and it sealed back like nothing happened.

It has completely changed my opinion of plastic SPs...

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
It really depends which screen protector you get. The armor suit screen protector for the pixel 3 xl comes in a flat box. But some of the older ones do come rolled up but has never been an issue for me either way. Again I've Installed 3 in total and all of them were easy and never bubbled or peeled at the corners even a little bit. The Problem I have with the glass screen protectors in they never sit fully flush with the glass and can break if you drop your phone even with a solid case on. Also armour suit has what they call "case friendly" screen protectors and both those and the regular ones work amazing. Just saying it might be worth looking into. Good luck.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
just yesterday morning, on the chunky rocked surface of backyard (it slid out of the pocket of my robe...), which finally shattered the already-POPPING-Off screen protector...

You dropped your phone, the screen protector broke but your actual screen is intact. Sounds like it did its job.

What brands/models of screen protectors have you tried and found wanting?

ymaz108

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
You dropped your phone, the screen protector broke but your actual screen is intact. Sounds like it did its job.

What brands/models of screen protectors have you tried and found wanting?

Hi PowerDroid,

Here's the detail reviews from my experiences for them...

1st SP: [2-Pack] Supershieldz for Google Pixel 2 XL Tempered Glass Screen Protector, [Full Screen Coverage][3D Curved Glass] Anti-Scratch, Bubble Free, Lifeti
Supershieldz
Sold by: Supershieldz
Returned due to it was difficult to keep it clean and when I tried to clean, it was making some crunchy popping sound.

2nd SP: Google Pixel 2 XL Screen Protector Bubble Free 9H Hardness Anti-Fingerprint Easy to Install HD Ultra Clear Premium Tempered GlassScreen Protector for
July Electronic Sold by: July Electronic

Returned due to there were several issues:
1) Upon opening the package, I noticed there were cuts on the side for both Styrofoam envelopes… Fortunately, they were not too big to affect the products inside, But still I didn’t feel good about it.

2) Although it was 2 screen protectors in the package, there was only 1 set of cloths, stickers and alcohol wipe. 

3) Then when I opened the only alcohol wipe, it was COMPLETELY DRY!!!  

4) When I aligned the screen protector above my phone, it was WAY TOO SMALL, and the all around the edges were NOT Sticking… *Now, 4 hours later, they are still NOT sticking…

5) I use Google Map when I commute to work every morning. I wear Sunglasses as we are in Arizona any time I go out. So, when I placed my phone on the cradle, I noticed I could not clearly see the display… There was some kind of rainbow hued glare… It was HORRIBLE!

3rd and current SP:
Google Pixel 2 XL Screen Protector (2 Packs), Basesailor Anti-Scratch, HD Clear, Case Friendly Tempered Glass Protector for Pixel 2 XL (Black)
Basesailor
Sold by: Basesailor Direct
Current one which shattered the other day, but it seems protected my phone, although it was kept popping off since the initial fall a few weeks ago, and towards the end, it was sliding off while the phone was in the cradle while driving:

As the link to the original product no longer exist, I checked the seller’s page and found the similar one here…
https://www.amazon.com/Basesailor-P...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6397403

Their Customer Service Report:
As it came with a Lifetime warranty, I contact the seller. It took 3 days until they responded to me… and although I explained that the screen protector has been popping off, even before it finally shattered, they said:

“Hi, Yumi, but the warranty covers against manufacturing defects only. It did protector your phone right? if we keep sending replacement if people drop their phone, we can't survive on Amazon. I beg for your understanding.”

… Well, I HAVE HAD the other screen protectors which also came with the Lifetime Warranty, and when I contacted them after it shattered from drop (I don’t drop intentionally. These incidents happened over the course of several years…), they always sent me the replacement…
So, I replied to them:

“Well, as I mentioned, it POPPED OFF when I dropped my phone a couple weeks ago, then ever since that happened, the screen protector KEPT sliding off during the normal use!
The Lifetime Warranty means you'd replace when your product doesn't work as supposed.”

Then, they came back with:

“we can't keep sending replacement if people drop their phone, I am so sorry. we offer one year warranty for product with manufacturing defects and I beg for your understanding.”

… I know it came with a Lifetime Warranty when I purchased it… :(

I might to try the Plastic Screen Protector per LeoRex and jonathan tyrrell’s recommendation…

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Zagg glass screen protector on my P2XL almost since I got the phone shortly after it's release. I bought it from a Zagg kiosk stand at the mall. It stays on and doesn't scratch. I used a Incipio screen protector first, it kept popping off. Incipio might have gotten better with time, it fit well just wouldn't stay on. I use an Incipio Dual-Pro case which I love.

spwexler

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm not in love with the whitestone dome, even on the 2nd take I didn't get it to take properly and I have a small bubble. However, it has a lifetime warranty, so thinking about submitting a claim and see if 3rd time is the charm.

PaulQ

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I finally gave in and got the Whitestone glass for my 2XL. The first time, the install went wrong. I watched the video multiple times, executed the steps exactly. I ended up with a double-bubble right in the middle of the screen when I dropped the glass on the screen. I couldn't figure out what happened. I didn't see any dust.

The Dome people said I could order a replacement kit without the installation hardware (light, etc.) at a discounted price. So I did. More money.

This time it worked and I LOVED it... best screen protector ever! (keep reading)

About 2 weeks in, as other Amazon reviewers have pointed out, I started getting micro-cracks at the corner. They started to get a little bigger and ruined the look. I'm easy on my phones, they live a nice life.

I just yanked the dome glass off and went back to the troublesome, traditional tempered glass. I now have a rainbow effect at random times of the day. Sometimes, nothing, other times, I'm looking for the pot of gold. I just live with it.

Interesting side note - I also have a Pixel 2 (small one). The tempered glass I got for that one is perfect. No rainbow. Unfortunately, that company doesn't make one for the 2 XL. Maybe they did before but the 2 XL is older now.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I finally gave in and got the Whitestone glass for my 2XL. The first time, the install went wrong. I watched the video multiple times, executed the steps exactly. I ended up with a double-bubble right in the middle of the screen when I dropped the glass on the screen. I couldn't figure out what happened. I didn't see any dust.

The Dome people said I could order a replacement kit without the installation hardware (light, etc.) at a discounted price. So I did. More money.

This time it worked and I LOVED it... best screen protector ever! (keep reading)

About 2 weeks in, as other Amazon reviewers have pointed out, I started getting micro-cracks at the corner. They started to get a little bigger and ruined the look. I'm easy on my phones, they live a nice life.

I just yanked the dome glass off and went back to the troublesome, traditional tempered glass. I now have a rainbow effect at random times of the day. Sometimes, nothing, other times, I'm looking for the pot of gold. I just live with it.

Interesting side note - I also have a Pixel 2 (small one). The tempered glass I got for that one is perfect. No rainbow. Unfortunately, that company doesn't make one for the 2 XL. Maybe they did before but the 2 XL is older now.
So if you are easy on your device, why have a screen protector?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463