Looking to replace my 1st Gen Moto X. I do *not* need latest and greatest, but I do prefer as clean an Android experience as I can get. I want AMOLED, good cambera, and _smallest_ phone I can get away with.

I had been thinking Pixel 1 but BH PHoto ran out of their good deal, and seems only option for 1st gen are used or, shady ebay/amazon dealers likely selling used as "new".

So, Pixel 2 is an option, and best price I see is $650 from Google. I'm committed to verizon but they no longer sell P2. I can't find any other reputable sellers doing better (e.g., Best Buy may have some verizon-plan P2 left, but also $650 so why bother?).

Before I buy from Google, anyone have any suggestions for better pricing?

A used Pixel 2 ("good", all "excellent" sold out) for $450 from Gazelle is an option, but at that price level I don't know that the risk and non-warranty status are worth $200 off.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
    11-18-2018 01:33 PM
    Check out www.swappa.com. I've got several phones from there.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-18-2018 02:29 PM
    Looking to replace my 1st Gen Moto X. I do *not* need latest and greatest, but I do prefer as clean an Android experience as I can get. I want AMOLED, good cambera, and _smallest_ phone I can get away with.

I had been thinking Pixel 1 but BH PHoto ran out of their good deal, and seems only option for 1st gen are used or, shady ebay/amazon dealers likely selling used as "new".

So, Pixel 2 is an option, and best price I see is $650 from Google. I'm committed to verizon but they no longer sell P2. I can't find any other reputable sellers doing better (e.g., Best Buy may have some verizon-plan P2 left, but also $650 so why bother?).

A used Pixel 2 ("good", all "excellent" sold out) for $450 from Gazelle is an option, but at that price level I don't know that the risk and non-warranty status are worth $200 off.

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
    If you can be patient for another couple of weeks. I bought my Pixel 2 last year on December 1. Verizon had $300 off making the Pixel 2 $349. A few days after that Target offered an additional $100 gift card. I didn't go through the hassle of returning to Verizon and buying at Target for a total of $400 of but I could have. Love my year old Pixel 2. Smooth, very durable and awesome camera. I also prefer the smaller size.

Notice that both these deals (Verizon and Target) were AFTER Black Friday. With the Pixel 3 and 3XL not jumping off the shelves sales wise my guess is in the next 2-3 weeks you will see very large discounts on the Pixel 3's and Pixel 2's.
    11-18-2018 02:39 PM
    The Verizon Christmas deal last year was fabulous, but came as monthly credits to your bill ... which I jumped on! It might not seem as fabulous if you didn't want Verizon. Hopefully they will do it again this year for Pixel 3 hopefuls ... and next year so that I can get the Pixel 4, as I have another year of bill credits to go in order to realize that $350 for my Pixel 2.
    11-18-2018 08:17 PM
    Yeah, the Pixel 2 is a really good option for a smaller phone. You should be able to get a like new warranty replacement pixel 2 on Swappa or Amazon at a really good price. Get the Google store purchase info (email used, shipping address, Google order ID#) and you'll be able to transfer the ownership and warranty. That's what I did with my Pixel 2 XL and it came with a new 2 year warranty.
    11-18-2018 08:17 PM
    Huh, I had thought warranties were not transferrable, but that does make a used more attractive and I see via Swappa people are mentioning that in listings (vs Gazelle where they phones become bulk items w/o warranty). Thanks for the tip.

Ditto to previous posts re late-year sales. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait and see if something materializes in a few weeks.

Yeah, the Pixel 2 is a really good option for a smaller phone. You should be able to get a like new warranty replacement pixel 2 on Swappa or Amazon at a really good price. Get the Google store purchase info (email used, shipping address, Google order ID#) and you'll be able to transfer the ownership and warranty. That's what I did with my Pixel 2 XL and it came with a new 2 year warranty.
    11-18-2018 09:36 PM
    Huh, I had thought warranties were not transferrable, but that does make a used more attractive and I see via Swappa people are mentioning that in listings (vs Gazelle where they phones become bulk items w/o warranty). Thanks for the tip.

Ditto to previous posts re late-year sales. I'm not in a rush, so I can wait and see if something materializes in a few weeks.
    The warranty does transfer if you tell Google support you want to transfer ownership. It needs to be originally purchased from Google and you need the order info. I got a bit lucky in buying a recent warranty replacement that seemed like a new phone instead of a refurb.
    11-18-2018 10:30 PM
    Well it started sooner than I thought it would. Best Buy will have $400 USD off on Pixel 3, Pixel 3XL AND Pixel 2XL.

This is the Verizon version but $400 off, especially for the lower cost Pixel 2XL is a pretty nice deal.

Will this be the best deal out there for Pixels, not sure but its a good start

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/11/1...r-2-days-only/
    11-19-2018 07:01 PM
    I'm definitely not interested in either XL version, even at a discount, but if a 3 comes down below the cost of a 2 that might be worth looking to. I know it may run against trend but frankly I'd pay extra to get the _smaller_ phone (the 2) if prices are reasonably close.

I don't plan to move away from Verizon so my understanding is there wouldn't be much difference in practice? Locked bootloader I know but it doesn't seem like that would matter much (right?)
    11-19-2018 08:11 PM
    Doh, finally clued in that the P3 dimensions are the same as the P2 give or take a mm, just bigger screen due to bezel diet. So never mind on preferring a P2 to a P3.

If the rumored $399 @ BestBuy friday deal pans out I may do that for a P3

I'm definitely not interested in either XL version, even at a discount, but if a 3 comes down below the cost of a 2 that might be worth looking to. I know it may run against trend but frankly I'd pay extra to get the _smaller_ phone (the 2) if prices are reasonably close.

I don't plan to move away from Verizon so my understanding is there wouldn't be much difference in practice? Locked bootloader I know but it doesn't seem like that would matter much (right?)
    11-20-2018 09:04 AM
    The Black Friday deals for Verizon I believe are only for new lines of service.
    11-20-2018 10:24 AM
    What if you buy a Verizon version? How does the warranty work through Google?
    11-20-2018 11:22 AM
    The Black Friday deals for Verizon I believe are only for new lines of service.
    Nope...
    11-20-2018 02:06 PM

Thoughts? Thanks!!!
    I am impressed you still have 1st Gen Moto X. I custom ordered my wife that device several years ago and it was a great device. Good luck on your Pixel search.
    11-20-2018 02:08 PM
    just purchased a mint condition Pixel 2xl 128gb for $475 on Swappa. Decided to go with that vs the one plus 6t for $579
    11-20-2018 11:34 PM
    just purchased a mint condition Pixel 2xl 128gb for $475 on Swappa. Decided to go with that vs the one plus 6t for $579
    Congratulations!! That sounds like a great deal for 128gb.
    11-21-2018 09:39 PM
    What if you buy a Verizon version? How does the warranty work through Google?
    I bought a Verizon version through Google and Google took care of any issues I had.
    11-22-2018 12:25 AM
    Thanks for assistance, all.

I ended up ordering a new Pixel 3 from the $399 deal at BestBuy.

Logic was that I'm not likely to want to switch away from VZ any any case, the BB deal is an upfront discount vs bill credits (i.e., I can pay off the phone immediately if I don't want the 24 months of installments), and available online with shipping by next week (at least, they say so so far).

With those terms, paying $450 for a used Pixel 2 didnt make sense
    11-22-2018 04:29 PM
    If I was on Verizon I'd totally be down for the black Friday deal.
    11-23-2018 01:00 AM
    Thanks for assistance, all.

I ended up ordering a new Pixel 3 from the $399 deal at BestBuy.

Logic was that I'm not likely to want to switch away from VZ any any case, the BB deal is an upfront discount vs bill credits (i.e., I can pay off the phone immediately if I don't want the 24 months of installments), and available online with shipping by next week (at least, they say so so far).

With those terms, paying $450 for a used Pixel 2 didnt make sense
    Yes, that is a great deal. Don't be surprised if another retailer offers an even better deal in the next couple weeks. It happened last year, great Black Friday deals on Pixel 2 and 2XL followed by even better deals a week or so later.
    edison2012 likes this.
    11-23-2018 02:21 PM