Anyone with a Pixel 2/XL and OP6T?

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Just curious if anyone owns both devices and if so, how you choose to use both. The two main advantages that the Pixel has are camera and front facing speakers. Although with the Google camera Port, I've heard the camera quality gap isn't as dramatic as once thought. I'm just so darn curious about picking up a OP6T lol. If anyone has both or some good feedback on the comparison of the two I'd appreciate it, thanks!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I currently use the 2 XL and I'll say that while I love it, if/when OnePlus and Verizon get their stuff together on compatibility, I'll be getting another 6T.
Just curious if anyone owns both devices and if so, how you choose to use both. The two main advantages that the Pixel has are camera and front facing speakers. Although with the Google camera Port, I've heard the camera quality gap isn't as dramatic as once thought. I'm just so darn curious about picking up a OP6T lol. If anyone has both or some good feedback on the comparison of the two I'd appreciate it, thanks!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
if/when OnePlus and Verizon get their stuff together on compatibility, I'll be getting another 6T.
Are you saying that you had a 6T but had some issues using it on Verizon? If so I'd like to have you expand on that - that's a combination that I've considered if my Pixel 2 XL meets an untimely demise.

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
The phone worked fine. Text messages came through without issue. But, there's the lack of WiFi calling that is a big deal for me.
Are you saying that you had a 6T but had some issues using it on Verizon? If so I'd like to have you expand on that - that's a combination that I've considered if my Pixel 2 XL meets an untimely demise.

toiday

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I have both the Pixel 2 and the OP6T and both are used on T-Mo. The OP6T is fast, display is great, but much larger than of the Pixel 2. The One+ launcher is very similar to the Pixel launcher. I prefer Google apps so I disabled One+ apps like contacts, messages, etc, and use Google app for them. It's great that One+ allow to do that. The onscreen finger is pretty cool but sometimes not as responsive/fast as the rear from the Pixel 2. However, to me, rear finger print sensor is not as convenience as in the front. There is nothing to complain about OP6T except the camera. At daylight, you probably don't see much different. But at night there is big different. Let me show you these two pictures taken in a dark room with OP6T in Night Mode and Pixel 2 in Night Sight. You can easily tell the different in two pictures but I was very impressed with the OP6T before I took the second one for Pixel 2 because the first picture shows more details than what my eyes can see from where I toke those pictures. Bottom line is OP6T has very good camera and Pixel 2 has great camera. Another thing about the 6T is it has fast software update. They said they will provide updates every two months. I got the Nov update on Nov 15, a few days after the Pixel 2. Not bad at all.

7616945634809431594.jpgIMG_20181121_213230.jpg

TANDC

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I had both just sold my Pixel 2 xl...

6t is so much better on so many levels

Screen is brighter and colors more vibrant on 6t

Size of 6t is a better fit in ones had vs the wider Pixel.

With the camera Pixel 3 and Night Shot hack the 6t is equal.

Bigger storage for a lot less money.

Google voice commands work a lot better on the 6t then voice control on Pixel.

Wifi calling works for me because I am on TMO but its wasnt a deal break if it didnt work.

Paid $311 from TMO and phone is unlocked and works fine on At&t and Verizon no issues.

There is no way Pixel 2 or 3 is $400+ better then a 6t...

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I had both just sold my Pixel 2 xl...

6t is so much better on so many levels

Size of 6t is a better fit in ones had vs the wider Pixel.

Bigger storage for a lot less money.

Google voice commands work a lot better on the 6t then voice control on Pixel.

Wifi calling works for me because I am on TMO but its wasnt a deal break if it didnt work.

Paid $311 from TMO and phone is unlocked and works fine on At&t and Verizon no issues.

There is no way Pixel 2 or 3 is $400+ better then a 6t...
I actually had the opposite experience picking between the Pixel 2 XL and OP6T. Ended up keeping the 2 XL and returning the 6T after 10 days.

Here's my take after using both phones for over a week:

- OP6T screen isn't much brighter
- the phones are pretty much the same size
- 2 XL has the clearly superior camera
- great battery life on both
- Oxygen OS has some nice customization options
- the 6T display FPS doesn't work as well as the 2 XL rear FPS
- prefer the 2 XL dual front speakers over the 6T bottom firing speaker

Don't really care about the extra storage on the 6T since I save pictures and videos on Google Photos and have never needed 128 GB. Having call screening on the 2 XL is nice. I also have AT&T HD voice on the 2 XL.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I ordered a mint condition Pixel 2XL 128GB off Swappa for $475. I'm looking forward to getting the pure Google experience but the rave reviews for the OP6T make me wonder if I made the right decision. Time will tell I guess. I think the edge to edge display of the OP6T is the thing I'm stuck on at this point. The way OP minimized the notch is pretty impressive in my opinion

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site

6T max brightness (453) is 43 nits less than the 2XL (496) and colors are more accurate on the 2 XL. You might prefer boosted mode on the 2 XL if you prefer oversaturated colors.

This is not even close to true. The 6T camera is good, but the 2 XL camera is great. As OnePlus improves, so does Google - including many of the improvements that came directly from Google from the 3.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have both the Pixel 2 and the OP6T and both are used on T-Mo. The OP6T is fast, display is great, but much larger than of the Pixel 2. The One+ launcher is very similar to the Pixel launcher. I prefer Google apps so I disabled One+ apps like contacts, messages, etc, and use Google app for them. It's great that One+ allow to do that. The onscreen finger is pretty cool but sometimes not as responsive/fast as the rear from the Pixel 2. However, to me, rear finger print sensor is not as convenience as in the front. There is nothing to complain about OP6T except the camera. At daylight, you probably don't see much different. But at night there is big different. Let me show you these two pictures taken in a dark room with OP6T in Night Mode and Pixel 2 in Night Sight. You can easily tell the different in two pictures but I was very impressed with the OP6T before I took the second one for Pixel 2 because the first picture shows more details than what my eyes can see from where I toke those pictures. Bottom line is OP6T has very good camera and Pixel 2 has great camera. Another thing about the 6T is it has fast software update. They said they will provide updates every two months. I got the Nov update on Nov 15, a few days after the Pixel 2. Not bad at all.

View attachment 294671View attachment 294672

For sure the 2nd picture is MUCH better in my opinion!

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I've been on the fence too. I have the pixel 2 xl and don't think of pixel 3 as a worthy upgrade. Been eying the 6t. Actually I wasn't thinking of changing phones till the time I went into a store and held the 6t. Damn, it felt nice. The only thing stopping me is the camera. I am a heavy camera user and most of my purchasing decisions are based on it.

Having said that, this video by Jerome Ortega and another by Pixel Peepers show how close both Pixel 3 and 6t (with Google camera app) cameras really are. In some cases the 6t does better.

Another thing is the 6 months cycle of the 6t. I just can't stand knowing that in a few months my phone isn't going to be the best one out there. I was so happy when I saw the Pixel 3 because there wasn't anything new in it and I didn't have to buy it. My pixel 2 xl still seem to be the best pixel deal out there.

I've been using the 2 xl since it came out and I need a change. Not sure what to do here.

I love the 6t for it's design, screen, gestures, snappiness, customisation and all the cases and accessories.

I love the 2 xl because of the camera. That's it.

Video 1: https://youtu.be/RhsxNcuz6Qg
Video 2: https://youtu.be/pOWA4at9x6M

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I've been using the 2 xl since it came out and I need a change. Not sure what to do here.

I love the 6t for it's design, screen, gestures, snappiness, customisation and all the cases and accessories.

I love the 2 xl because of the camera. That's it.

Your 2 XL has a better display, camera and software, and is more secure, etc.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just switched to a 6T from a Pixel 2 a week ago. I got the Pixel 2 for the software and camera. It has been fantastic for still camera shots. Video I've not been as impressed with, it looks ok but the audio has been mediocre at best. The software has been mostly fine, but I'm not a fan of the lack of customization options and I don't care for the Pixel launcher so it always had Nova on it.

For me the Pixel 2 was a very love and hate affair. I'm on my third one and for me the hardware has been an issue. All three were brand new. The current one has been the best but between the touch response lag and poor haptics alone I just couldn't take it anymore. As much as I like nice pictures I need a phone to be usable and work. Not to mention the battery life wasn't great, it would eat a couple percent an hour sitting on my nightstand with the screen off overnight.

The 6T has been a breath of fresh air for me. The touch response is fantastic, there's no lag, no hesitation. The haptics we're reported to feel sluggish of "muddy" and for me they have been great. I love the feel of the haptics. The screen is big and beautiful, colors are fantastic. The bottom firing speaker isn't a big deal to me asls I rarely used my Pixel 2 in a way that the front firing speakers were an advantage and this speaker gets quite loud. When I pick up the phone the ambient display lights up, and double tap to wake works. Neither of these things worked consistently or reliably for me on the Pixel 2.

Is the camera as good, yes and no. I think the colors and the lighting can be better on the 6T, as the Pixel 2 always seemed to really darken the shadows. But detail is a little better on the Pixel 2. Honestly the camera seems to be getting better the more I use it which means I'm learning how it works better.

For me the 6T blows away the Pixel 2 in the software department. A lot of really nice custom touches that are things that bug the hell out of me with Google's version. Things like the brightness slider being at the bottom of the quick settings where you can reach it easily with your thumb. In recent apps, the clear all button is at the bottom of the screen no matter which app you scroll to. Not all the way at the end half way up the damn screen making me scroll through every recent app to get to it. There are thoughtful customization options that make it more user friendly and you can tailor them to your liking. YOU CAN HAVE A DARK THEME EVERYWHERE not a half assed few apps and you still have a white settings menu like the pixels but a dark settings menu, notification shade and quick settings. This is the first phone I can remember since IDK when that I've kept the stock launcher. There's no search bar in my way I can't remove. If you swipe down in the middle of the screen it drops the notification shade, swipe up and you get the app drawer, double tap and it locks the screen. All things I always had setup in Nova launcher that every launcher should do especially with 6" screens so I'm not reaching to the top awkwardly all the time. And the other nice touch, I can draw a "V" on the locked turned off screen and my flashlight turns on. Do it again and it turns off, not making me unlock the phone and hit the quick settings or saying ok Google and telling it to turn it on. Circle to launch the camera, two finger swipe to pause and resume audio.

Finally the hardware feels great. Outside of the pointless glass on the back it feels sturdy and well built. The alert slider is fantastic and so much better than any software implementation in my opinion. No stupid squeeze to accidentally trigger picking up your phone. I know it sounds like I hate the Pixel 2 and love the 6T and I don't hate the Pixel 2 but based on my experience the past few months with the Pixel 2 these are all the things I think the 6T does better. I think the software touches are fantastic and based on some of the issues plaguing the Pixel 3 devices I cannot recommend anyone get one of those over the 6T, for the price you are getting so much more with the 6T.

Also this is the best battery life I've gotten hands down on any Android phone going back to the first Galaxy S. I never get through a workday without topping up mid afternoon or on the way home in the car and I've had two days in a row that I'm going to bed with over 30%. The battery life is fantastic.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
@Theot How were you accidentally triggering active edge? There's sensitivity settings or it can just be disabled.
Even with it turned all the way up sometimes I'd still trigger it picking up the phone. I guess I have a firm grip? I did turn it off at times but it actually made the phone less responsive and lag more with the squeeze turned off (like they engineered it so your want it on) so I'd keep it on. I didn't use it much but would occasionally.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I take photography really seriously.

Display settings: Basic is too meh and washed out, boosted is too much. I don't understand what saturated does really. Just warms up the screen a bit.

I take a photo on the pixel 2 or from my DSLR (export to the pixel). Tweak colors. Upload on Instagram. Look at it on my brothers iPhone x. It looks washed out when I'm on boosted and too saturated when I'm on basic. I can never get the colors right with this phone.

So, higher resolution yes. But more accurate? Hahaha no please.

If you can't get the calibration right, at least give us some detailed settings to tweak the damn thing.

Bright? The unit I saw in stores seemed plenty bright. Also, Google has broken the brightness slider on pie anyways.
Yes, the display is higher resolution, more accurate, brighter, etc.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I take photography really seriously.

Display settings: Basic is too meh and washed out, boosted is too much. I don't understand what saturated does really. Just warms up the screen a bit.

I take a photo on the pixel 2 or from my DSLR (export to the pixel). Tweak colors. Upload on Instagram. Look at it on my brothers iPhone x. It looks washed out when I'm on boosted and too saturated when I'm on basic. I can never get the colors right with this phone.

So, higher resolution yes. But more accurate? Hahaha no please.

If you can't get the calibration right, at least give us some detailed settings to tweak the damn thing.

Bright? The unit I saw in stores seemed plenty bright. Also, Google has broken the brightness slider on pie anyways.

I mean that it is technically more accurate, in natural mode. Whether or not it is preferable to any single person is a different thing, but it is accurate to the target color gamuts, sRGB and DCI-P3, and more so than the OnePlus devices.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Please watch Erica Griffin's take on both these phones. She explains it better.
I mean that it is technically more accurate, in natural mode. Whether or not it is preferable to any single person is a different thing, but it is accurate to the target color gamuts, sRGB and DCI-P3, and more so than the OnePlus devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton