Anyone with a Pixel 2/XL and OP6T?

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Please watch Erica Griffin's take on both these phones. She explains it better.
Ok shoot me a link, or better yet just quote the values she arrives at for delta-e, luminosity, reflection, etc. We can then compare to others who measured these aspects of the devices.

However, I do recall she was one of the people pushing the terrible display nonsense last year, so I would prefer to use an objective source. Her "take' is not interesting, only the facts are, and the facts are the numbers. Unfortunately, display mate and anandtech seek to have outright ignored this comparison.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I take a photo on the pixel 2 or from my DSLR (export to the pixel). Tweak colors. Upload on Instagram. Look at it on my brothers iPhone x. It looks washed out when I'm on boosted and too saturated when I'm on basic. I can never get the colors right with this phone.

This is pretty strange unless you're using boosted or saturated on the pixel 2. The pixel 2 and iPhone X color reproduction are so close in terms of white point, delta-e, etc. that they are virtually indistinguishable, both from each other and from perfect. The distance between their mean Delta-e scores is less than .04. Thus things on the pixel 2 are going to look almost identical on the iPhone X.

It's possible that the problem is Instagram or the color editing that you mentioned, or it could be that one or more of the phones you're talking about are defective. There is no way to tell with the limited information available.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Yeah I understand your view that she might not be objective but she compares the same images on all of her devices so thats pretty objective for me. Also, I'm not going to give out the conclusion you'll have to watch the reviews by yourself

Ane about 5h3 calibration of displays. We will just have to agree to disagree here. I think the pixel 2 xl and the iPhone x look really different.
This is pretty strange unless you're using boosted or saturated on the pixel 2. The pixel 2 and iPhone X color reproduction are so close in terms of white point, delta-e, etc. that they are virtually indistinguishable, both from each other and from perfect. The distance between their mean Delta-e scores is less than .04. Thus things on the pixel 2 are going to look almost identical on the iPhone X.

It's possible that the problem is Instagram or the color editing that you mentioned, or it could be that one or more of the phones you're talking about are defective. There is no way to tell with the limited information available.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 XL. I like it, and the camera is very impressive. Yet I still hear the OP6T calling my name lol. As a longtime Samsung user, I find it pretty frustrating not being able to hide the navigation bar to maximize the screen. Not looking to root my phone just for that reason

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Display? Hahaha really?

Software is better on the OnePlus. It's what pixel offers and then some.

It's just the camera which I'm confused about. I think I might give it a shot.

Also, the alert slider! Such a good feature.

"Software is better on the OnePlus. It's what pixel offers and then some. "
It's the "...and then some," that many want to avoid. I've heard Samsung finally got the message and is cutting back on bloat.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I got my Pixel 2 XL. I like it, and the camera is very impressive. Yet I still hear the OP6T calling my name lol. As a longtime Samsung user, I find it pretty frustrating not being able to hide the navigation bar to maximize the screen. Not looking to root my phone just for that reason
You don't need to root to hide the navigation bar. Just use adb to hide navigation bar or full immersive with both navigation bar and status bar hidden

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
"Software is better on the OnePlus. It's what pixel offers and then some. "
It's the "...and then some," that many want to avoid. I've heard Samsung finally got the message and is cutting back on bloat.
Funny thing is, I'd become a stock Android or die kinda guy until I started using the Note 9. Such a great experience.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Stock Android is extremely overrated.

OnePlus is smoother and snappier with better implementation of everything.

Samsung Experience is richer.

iOS is well... iOS.

Even the YouTube tech community has converged to this view.

It's just the people who bought the pixel 3 who keep justifying it. It's a shame to see Google fans turning into...

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
Stock Android is extremely overrated.

OnePlus is smoother and snappier with better implementation of everything.

Samsung Experience is richer.

iOS is well... iOS.

Even the YouTube tech community has converged to this view.

It's just the people who bought the pixel 3 who keep justifying it. It's a shame to see Google fans turning into...

I wasn't about to buy a Pixel at full retail price. I love my note 9. But as a techie I get bored sometimes lol. At $475 off swappa I thought a 128gb Panda Pixel 2xl was a good deal for a backup/alternative, but I'm still tempted by the OP6T. I have a hard enough time justifying two phones to my gf, not sure how it would be getting a 3rd lol

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't about to buy a Pixel at full retail price. I love my note 9. But as a techie I get bored sometimes lol. At $475 off swappa I thought a 128gb Panda Pixel 2xl was a good deal for a backup/alternative, but I'm still tempted by the OP6T. I have a hard enough time justifying two phones to my gf, not sure how it would be getting a 3rd lol

I got a tip for yah: get the OP 6T for your girlfriend and then play on it a lot. 🤣

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I got a tip for yah: get the OP 6T for your girlfriend and then play on it a lot. 🤣

Ordered the OP6T yesterday. Giving myself the 15 day window from OP to test drive it and see how the camera with Google camera port works out, and plan on either returning it or reselling the Pixel 2XL I just picked up off Swappa. I think I have a problem lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ordered the OP6T yesterday. Giving myself the 15 day window from OP to test drive it and see how the camera with Google camera port works out, and plan on either returning it or reselling the Pixel 2XL I just picked up off Swappa. I think I have a problem lol

Let us know when you get your 6T and how you like it!

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Yes please get back to us with your experience.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Currently been using 6T for about a month. LOVE IT. what a smooth OOS.

Found a great deal on 2XL 128gb Panda. So I will have that Monday. I didn't want to buy it but I needed to see for myself what's up with everyone going crazy about pixel 2nd gen camera.

Was looking to get pixel 3 for the camera but this deal I found is so hard to pass. So much cheaper than pixel 3. So will be testing 2xl next week and see if it will convince me to switch from 6T that I really like.

usedtolovephones

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
Make sure to use the Google Camera apk for the OnePlus while comparing both. I don't think you'll find much differences.

With the stock OnePlus camera app you will see differences. Especially with the front facing and the portrait mode results. They're much better with the Google camera apk on the OnePlus.
Currently been using 6T for about a month. LOVE IT. what a smooth OOS.

Found a great deal on 2XL 128gb Panda. So I will have that Monday. I didn't want to buy it but I needed to see for myself what's up with everyone going crazy about pixel 2nd gen camera.

Was looking to get pixel 3 for the camera but this deal I found is so hard to pass. So much cheaper than pixel 3. So will be testing 2xl next week and see if it will convince me to switch from 6T that I really like.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm in my 15 day return window with the OP6T, been testing the phone and camera like crazy. Even with the Google cam apk there's a noticable drop-off in picture quality. The back camera portrait mode of the Google cam apk doesn't work unless it's used on people, can't get blur effect on objects or my pets. I'm finding myself enjoying the OP6T experience more, but going back to the Pixel 2 XL for the camera. Having a tough time deciding on either returning the OP6T or listing the Panda Pixel on Swappa. The fact i paid more for the OP6T because of a steaI off swappa makes it more confusing lol

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm in my 15 day return window with the OP6T, been testing the phone and camera like crazy. Even with the Google cam apk there's a noticable drop-off in picture quality. The back camera portrait mode of the Google cam apk doesn't work unless it's used on people, can't get blur effect on objects or my pets. I'm finding myself enjoying the OP6T experience more, but going back to the Pixel 2 XL for the camera. Having a tough time deciding on either returning the OP6T or listing the Panda Pixel on Swappa. The fact i paid more for the OP6T because of a steaI off swappa makes it more confusing lol
I think that's where I am going to find myself next week when I get my 2xl Panda. I have been enjoying the 6T A LOT. that oxygen OS makes it a joy to use this phone.

The camera is not bad by all means but man, put the Google camera on the 6T and this would be one killer smart phone.

The way 6T runs, looks, and feels makes it so hard to out down. Let me know what you decided to do cause I will be in the same situation comes Monday lol.

6T is one good phone.

ScottRx82

Dec 10, 2009
Visit site
I think that's where I am going to find myself next week when I get my 2xl Panda. I have been enjoying the 6T A LOT. that oxygen OS makes it a joy to use this phone.

The camera is not bad by all means but man, put the Google camera on the 6T and this would be one killer smart phone.

The way 6T runs, looks, and feels makes it so hard to out down. Let me know what you decided to do cause I will be in the same situation comes Monday lol.

6T is one good phone.

It definitely is a great phone even. And there are actually shots here and there that with blind testing I pressed the OP6T. But it's the consistency of the Pixel camera that is hard to look away from. I think if the g cam apk back camera portrait worked as well as it did on the Pixel (ie actually creating blur effect on pets/objects) I'd be leaning more towards the OP6T.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
It definitely is a great phone even. And there are actually shots here and there that with blind testing I pressed the OP6T. But it's the consistency of the Pixel camera that is hard to look away from. I think if the g cam apk back camera portrait worked as well as it did on the Pixel (ie actually creating blur effect on pets/objects) I'd be leaning more towards the OP6T.
Why is it so hard lol. I am also not impressed with the gcam port. Tons of issues with it still. I am selling my Note 9 for the 6T. Been a note user since the Note 4 and so regretting trading my Note 8 for Note 9. There is a major design flaw with the Note 9 model. I had to replace my Note 9 twice and replace the model, again, just last week at UbreakIfix. I am DONE. going to sell it for that. So disappointed.

Was going to just stick with 6T and then a friend of mine offered me his 2xl 128gb Panda like new condition for $300. Getting that Monday and my life is complicated again lol. I should have said no, but how could I?