I've never really been a big fan of AOD. I had always used LED notification lights as my method of retrieving notifications; and then when I got my Pixel 2, there was a long period of time when I disabled LED and AOD and just used double tap to wake. That actually worked really well. I never really found myself missing notifications.

On Sunday, I decided to turn on my AOD and also decided to try and keep it on for longer than an hour (🤣). It turns out that I don't mind it all that much! I'm not very afraid of screen burn-in but that being said, I do turn my phone screen-side down when I know I won't be "looking for" notifications and when I'm sleeping.

I don't find that it drains my battery much at all - maybe a few percent daily, but nothing extreme and it's not noticeable - and I find comfort in the fact that the time/date will move every so often.

How do you get notifications on your phone - do you use AOD, LED, or nothing at all? Or do you switch it up?
    11-29-2018 08:03 AM
    I use AOD, have not had any battery life issues through several phones.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-29-2018 08:55 AM
    I am using AOD. I don't believe that there is a battery issue. And, so far, I don't see any screen burn in, but I've only had my 2 XL for 5 months.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-29-2018 09:09 AM
    I used to love how Moto handled notifications when I had my 2014 Moto X. Then I got an HTC U11 (great phone but it sadly didn't play well with Verizon) and I really missed having notifications show up on screen. So when I got my P2xl one of the first things I made sure of in the settings was to have AOD turned on. I love that feature and now that they added the battery % and current temp it's perfect for my needs. :-)
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-29-2018 09:36 AM
    Any of the weather apps, like WeatherUnderground, AccuWeather, etc., also have current temps on the AOD. I especially like that.
    I used to love how Moto handled notifications when I had my 2014 Moto X. Then I got an HTC U11 (great phone but it sadly didn't play well with Verizon) and I really missed having notifications show up on screen. So when I got my P2xl one of the first things I made sure of in the settings was to have AOD turned on. I love that feature and now that they added the battery % and current temp it's perfect for my needs. :-)
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-29-2018 10:23 AM
    Any of the weather apps, like WeatherUnderground, AccuWeather, etc., also have current temps on the AOD. I especially like that.
    Wow, that's awesome! I didn't know that! Thank you so much for sharing.
    kmf1 likes this.
    11-29-2018 12:35 PM
    I love LED notifications. If I don't see the LED blinking I don't pick up the phone (for notifications). Unlike most people the less I look at a phone the better. A thousand better things to do.
    cyndie1030 and kmf1 like this.
    11-29-2018 01:13 PM
    I love LED notifications. If I don't see the LED blinking I don't pick up the phone (for notifications). Unlike most people the less I look at a phone the better. A thousand better things to do.
    Same here. One of the reasons I didn't want the upgrade to Pixel 3 was the lack of the notification LED. If they are going to get rid of that hereon out, not sure I'll stick with the Pixel then. I use that a ton.
    kmf1 and dennis246 like this.
    11-29-2018 01:58 PM
    If you use the blinking led for notifications, do you have AOD turned off?
    11-29-2018 04:48 PM
    Yes, I keep AOD off.
    kmf1 likes this.
    11-29-2018 05:07 PM
    Yes, AOD is turned off for me.
    11-29-2018 07:30 PM
    I use AOD, have not had any battery life issues through several phones.
    I still do not notice a change in my battery life. I'm enjoying the AOD thus far.
    11-30-2018 12:48 PM
    I still do not notice a change in my battery life. I'm enjoying the AOD thus far.
    In real world use, no, you won't notice it. However, the battery drain with it on vs. with it off is measurable, though trivial. Try an experiment. When you set your phone down for the night make a note of the battery percentage remaining. Leave AOD on. When you get up in the morning note the battery life remaining. How much percent battery did AOD use overnight.

Repeat the experiment the next night but this time with AOD off. Compare the two numbers.

IIRC, my phone used 6% battery life with AOD on; 4% with it off, over a period of 8 hours.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-30-2018 03:47 PM
    AOD compliments a LED light very well. The problem is AOD is you can't really tell what kind of notification you received from any distance. LED light solves that as you can assign colors to the light via 3rd party apps like light flow. I used both on the pixel 2 XL and my s9.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    11-30-2018 10:43 PM
    AOD compliments a LED light very well. The problem is AOD is you can't really tell what kind of notification you received from any distance. LED light solves that as you can assign colors to the light via 3rd party apps like light flow. I used both on the pixel 2 XL and my s9.
    You have a very good point!
    12-01-2018 01:52 AM
    In real world use, no, you won't notice it. However, the battery drain with it on vs. with it off is measurable, though trivial. Try an experiment. When you set your phone down for the night make a note of the battery percentage remaining. Leave AOD on. When you get up in the morning note the battery life remaining. How much percent battery did AOD use overnight.

Repeat the experiment the next night but this time with AOD off. Compare the two numbers.

IIRC, my phone used 6% battery life with AOD on; 4% with it off, over a period of 8 hours.
    It would be interesting to do a comparison. Thank you for sharing yours! I'll post my results soon!
    12-01-2018 01:53 AM
    I figured out AOD PDQ but not ASAP.

I get an audible notification and look at my watch. I also leave Always On Display on.
    12-01-2018 01:11 PM