Why dammit, why? Love the phone, and never had an issue with random ads, but do on this pixel. One in particular, pops up when opening chrome or messages. Sometimes,when searching, I'll get these annoying ads in the middle of a search. I've never had this problem in 10+ years of Android use and they started with this phone.

How do I get this to stop?

Thanks
    milleniumdroid likes this.
    12-06-2018 08:20 AM
    This happens when either an ad-supported app is running in the background and going rogue (some "free" VPN apps did this to me an I switched to a paid VPN for that reason). It could also be that some in-app ads downloaded Chinese adware to your phone. I hate to say this, but you actually might need to temporarily install clean master (despite the data mining scandal) and run the junk file cleaner. To my knowledge, Clean Master is the ONLY cleaner app that can find/erase Chinese adware properly.
    Jim Williams likes this.
    12-06-2018 08:36 AM
    Or you could just reboot into Safe mode and when you've satisfied yourself that the ads are no longer appearing, uninstall whichever 3rd party applications you put on there around the same time this problem started.
    12-06-2018 02:53 PM
    Thanks.
    Figuring out which apps might be the hard part. This started pretty much from the beginning..
    Or you could just reboot into Safe mode and when you've satisfied yourself that the ads are no longer appearing, uninstall whichever 3rd party applications you put on there around the same time this problem started.
    12-07-2018 05:16 AM
    Thanks.
    Figuring out which apps might be the hard part. This started pretty much from the beginning..
    See if this helps to identify the culprit.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=901497
    12-07-2018 05:20 AM
    Thanks for that link. Really great. I see this 2 min ago, and only 5 min ago uninstalled some apps before I knew to disable etc first. Now I know.
    See if this helps to identify the culprit.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=901497
    12-07-2018 05:35 AM
    Thanks for that link. Really great. I see this 2 min ago, and only 5 min ago uninstalled some apps before I knew to disable etc first. Now I know.
    Oh Did you manage to solve the issue after uninstalling those apps or are you still getting the ads?
    12-07-2018 05:41 AM
    So far so good?! I also switched back to the google launcher from Nova. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd give it a try. I'm not super techy. I'm hoping I won't have to just reset the phone, but if I have to ..

Thanks for the help so far. I should know more throughout the day
    Oh Did you manage to solve the issue after uninstalling those apps or are you still getting the ads?
    12-07-2018 05:58 AM
    Google launcher!
    So far so good?! I also switched back to the good launcher from Nova. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd give it a try. I'm not super techy. I'm hoping I won't have to just reset the phone, but if I have to ..

12-07-2018 05:58 AM
    So far so good?! I also switched back to the google launcher from Nova. No idea if that has anything to do with it, but figured I'd give it a try. I'm not super techy. I'm hoping I won't have to just reset the phone, but if I have to ..

You don't need to worry about Nova launcher, even if you only have the free version. This is one of the most reputable apps in the Play Store and the first one many of us install when setting up a new phone.
    Jim Williams likes this.
    12-07-2018 06:05 AM