Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same? Looking at buying a Pixel phone because of the camera picture quality and wondering if no difference, I probably should get the pixel 2 xl then.

Thanks!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-13-2018 10:46 PM
    Pixel 3 camera has optical stabilizer. Not for stabilizing but to take multiple pictures at slightly different angles to create “Super Res Zoom”. The results is much better than Pixel 2.

That doesn't mean the Pixel 2 is bad. I would prefer the Pixel 2 XL because it doesn't have the knot and much cheaper.
    Lepa79 and Morty2264 like this.
    12-13-2018 11:28 PM
    Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same?
    There are a few hardware differences and a few software differences, but the base resolution (12.2MP) is the same and they both include OIS.
    Hardware:
    - Pixel 3/3XL uses a slightly different sensor (still trying to track down the darn model numbers)
    - Pixel 3/3XL has a newer Pixel Visual Core (supposedly allowing better AI for processing, which gives it additional software features that are limited to this family)
    - Pixel 3/3XL only uses dual-pixel phase detection for auto-focus (Pixel 2/2XL also uses laser range detection)
    Software (features made possible by upgraded Pixel Visual Core)
    Pixel 3/3XL supports Top Shot (multiple shots taken from one shutter press that may include a better pose or whatever; note that additional images don't have the same 12.2MP resolution as the original Pixel)
    Pixel 3/3XL supports High Resolution Zoom (overlays multiple images to provide better detail when zoomed in vs traditional digital zoom)

And of course Pixel 3/3XL includes additional wide-angle front-facing camera.
    Lepa79 and Michael Detwiler like this.
    12-14-2018 02:21 AM
    There are a few hardware differences and a few software differences, but the base resolution (12.2MP) is the same and they both include OIS.
    Hardware:
    - Pixel 3/3XL uses a slightly different sensor (still trying to track down the darn model numbers)
    - Pixel 3/3XL has a newer Pixel Visual Core (supposedly allowing better AI for processing, which gives it additional software features that are limited to this family)
    - Pixel 3/3XL only uses dual-pixel phase detection for auto-focus (Pixel 2/2XL also uses laser range detection)
    Software (features made possible by upgraded Pixel Visual Core)
    Pixel 3/3XL supports Top Shot (multiple shots taken from one shutter press that may include a better pose or whatever; note that additional images don't have the same 12.2MP resolution as the original Pixel)
    Pixel 3/3XL supports High Resolution Zoom (overlays multiple images to provide better detail when zoomed in vs traditional digital zoom)

And of course Pixel 3/3XL includes additional wide-angle front-facing camera.
    Dang Sir. Now that's a 5 star quality answer. Thanks!!!
    Michael Detwiler and deltaTgm like this.
    12-14-2018 03:59 AM
    Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same? Looking at buying a Pixel phone because of the camera picture quality and wondering if no difference, I probably should get the pixel 2 xl then.

Thanks!
    If you want to save some $$$, the 2 takes some pretty amazing pictures. My iPhone addicted friends and family swoon over my pics and always want me to use my phone to take a pic and send to them!
    Byrese likes this.
    12-15-2018 10:33 AM
    If you want to save some $$$, the 2 takes some pretty amazing pictures. My iPhone addicted friends and family swoon over my pics and always want me to use my phone to take a pic and send to them!
    My friend has a 2xl Panda 128gb. Almost brand new that I could buy for probably $300 (friend special deal). I am having hard time saying no to that.
    12-15-2018 11:03 AM
    My friend has a 2xl Panda 128gb. Almost brand new that I could buy for probably $300 (friend special deal). I am having hard time saying no to that.
    Wow, that's a fantastic deal. Bought my wife a Pixel 2 XL in the spring (she had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and she's been more than pleased.
    Lepa79 and Byrese like this.
    12-15-2018 11:04 AM
    Get on that!
    12-15-2018 12:42 PM
    Done deal. Will have it Monday. $300 for 128 2XL Panda. Mint condition. I currently have OnePlus 6T. Love that phone. So so smooth and joy to use. I think it is gonna be a struggle which one to use. It is why I didn't want to get the 2XL
    Wow, that's a fantastic deal. Bought my wife a Pixel 2 XL in the spring (she had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and she's been more than pleased.
    Get on that!
    12-15-2018 12:48 PM
    If he hasn't done it already, add Camera 3 (it's from an XDA dev - the Pixel 3 camera app modified for the 2), and you get Night Sight. You also get Top Shot (and you still have laser focus). About all you're missing is the slight improvement to the Visual Core (and I've never noticed any difference) and the high res zoom (although unless you're trying to read a license plate way down the block, I've never had a problem with).
    12-15-2018 01:36 PM
    I thought pixel 2 camera was updated with Night Shot. No?
    If he hasn't done it already, add Camera 3 (it's from an XDA dev - the Pixel 3 camera app modified for the 2), and you get Night Sight. You also get Top Shot (and you still have laser focus). About all you're missing is the slight improvement to the Visual Core (and I've never noticed any difference) and the high res zoom (although unless you're trying to read a license plate way down the block, I've never had a problem with).
    12-15-2018 01:55 PM
    That's not the camera, it's the app. Camera doesn't have it, Camera 3 does. The 2 is capable of doing it (if you want to see the difference between Night Sight and regular on the 2, see post #3060 [page 123] in https://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ml#post6417361).
    12-15-2018 02:20 PM
    The P2's have been updated with the Night Sight already. It was a slow roll out, but I think by now all of them have it.
    I hope you are happy with your purchase!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-15-2018 02:58 PM
    Based on photos I've seen taken with the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 3, I'd say there is barely any difference. I'm not a camera buff by any means, so all I see are "really good photos." If you put two pictures of the same scene taken by the two different phones, I wouldn't be able to tell which photo had been taken with which phone.

Now, the P3 does have some new camera features; but I'd still say the improvement is incremental/minimal.
    12-18-2018 01:16 PM
    Yes they have been! I use it to take pictures of my cat early in the morning when the apartment is still dark!
    12-18-2018 01:17 PM
    Done deal. Will have it Monday. $300 for 128 2XL Panda. Mint condition. I currently have OnePlus 6T. Love that phone. So so smooth and joy to use. I think it is gonna be a struggle which one to use. It is why I didn't want to get the 2XL
    Ya that would be a hard choice. Good luck!
    12-19-2018 08:03 PM
    Wow. Lots of misinformation. The Pixel 2's have Night Sight already and it is amazing. The actual sensors are very close...iterative if you will. You will not see much of a difference in day-to-day activity. Heck my wife's original Pixel has Night Sight. It still takes great photos but handles a little slower. Serious amateur photographers will like the 2 or 3.
    12-20-2018 08:31 AM
    Got my Pixel 2 less about 6 months ago...I'm not upgrading to the Pixel 3 over a specification on paper...LOL...

It's basically the same camera, I have night mode, same lens, as someone else said it's impossible to see the difference ...I can believe that....

Save your money.. for the Pixel 4.. especially if you just got your phone... there's always a new model around the corner....
    Ben_70 likes this.
    12-20-2018 09:16 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. Picked up Panda 2 xl 128gb from a friend for $300. Looks brand new. Been using it since Monday. Camera and AOD are the only things I like over my 6T.

Wish stock Android has the little nice features Oxygen OS brings to the table.

Anyway, I think I'll be using it as my daily driver just because of the camera and AOD. otherwise, I like 6T much more.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-20-2018 11:21 AM
    Actually you get super res zoom on the 2 using the modded Camera as well. I've tested head to head with stock and compared to my wife's Pixel 3. It works. Using the modded camera all I am really missing is the front wide angle lens. Every other feature works and is virtually indistinguishable from the 3.
    12-20-2018 11:23 AM
    Thanks for all the feedback. Picked up Panda 2 xl 128gb from a friend for $300. Looks brand new. Been using it since Monday. Camera and AOD are the only things I like over my 6T.

Wish stock Android has the little nice features Oxygen OS brings to the table.

Anyway, I think I'll be using it as my daily driver just because of the camera and AOD. otherwise, I like 6T much more.
    I've always wanted to try OP because of Oxygen OS - what are your favourite features about it?

Congratulations on your Panda! How exciting! Enjoy it!
    12-20-2018 12:58 PM
    I've always wanted to try OP because of Oxygen OS - what are your favourite features about it?

Congratulations on your Panda! How exciting! Enjoy it!
    Hi Morty. Here are something on Oxygen OS that I like:

* FAST and SMOOTH. believe it or not, feels so much faster than stock Android
    * OnePlus take on gestures navigation tons better than Google
    * Oh that Notch on the 6T is so sexy looking. Yep, notch looks good, can you believe that?
    * Don't like the notch? You can hide it, and guess what, that black area is usable as your notifocations, time, and your icons all remain in that blacked out notch area (looks so good). Why Google didn't do that for the Pixel 3xl is crazy.
    * Screen off gestures. They come in so handy.
    * The way folders open (feels like a finished product vs the folders on stock Android)
    * A TRUE dark theme. Yep, it's possible. Taking Google forever to figure it out
    * You don't like the battery icon, you can change it. I have it set to a circle. Love having that choice.
    * OnePlus shelf. I have some of my favorite widgets there. So nice as you can tuck them away and pull them out with a simple swipe.

These are just a few. There is more.
    GSDer likes this.
    12-20-2018 08:18 PM