Any difference between 3xl and 2xl camera?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same? Looking at buying a Pixel phone because of the camera picture quality and wondering if no difference, I probably should get the pixel 2 xl then.

Thanks!

toiday

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Pixel 3 camera has optical stabilizer. Not for stabilizing but to take multiple pictures at slightly different angles to create “Super Res Zoom”. The results is much better than Pixel 2.
0caa3746b8568c69e875dab34e4180b4.jpg

That doesn't mean the Pixel 2 is bad. I would prefer the Pixel 2 XL because it doesn't have the knot and much cheaper.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same?
There are a few hardware differences and a few software differences, but the base resolution (12.2MP) is the same and they both include OIS.
Hardware:
- Pixel 3/3XL uses a slightly different sensor (still trying to track down the darn model numbers)
- Pixel 3/3XL has a newer Pixel Visual Core (supposedly allowing better AI for processing, which gives it additional software features that are limited to this family)
- Pixel 3/3XL only uses dual-pixel phase detection for auto-focus (Pixel 2/2XL also uses laser range detection)
Software (features made possible by upgraded Pixel Visual Core)
Pixel 3/3XL supports Top Shot (multiple shots taken from one shutter press that may include a better pose or whatever; note that additional images don't have the same 12.2MP resolution as the original Pixel)
Pixel 3/3XL supports High Resolution Zoom (overlays multiple images to provide better detail when zoomed in vs traditional digital zoom)

And of course Pixel 3/3XL includes additional wide-angle front-facing camera.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
There are a few hardware differences and a few software differences, but the base resolution (12.2MP) is the same and they both include OIS.
Hardware:
- Pixel 3/3XL uses a slightly different sensor (still trying to track down the darn model numbers)
- Pixel 3/3XL has a newer Pixel Visual Core (supposedly allowing better AI for processing, which gives it additional software features that are limited to this family)
- Pixel 3/3XL only uses dual-pixel phase detection for auto-focus (Pixel 2/2XL also uses laser range detection)
Software (features made possible by upgraded Pixel Visual Core)
Pixel 3/3XL supports Top Shot (multiple shots taken from one shutter press that may include a better pose or whatever; note that additional images don't have the same 12.2MP resolution as the original Pixel)
Pixel 3/3XL supports High Resolution Zoom (overlays multiple images to provide better detail when zoomed in vs traditional digital zoom)

And of course Pixel 3/3XL includes additional wide-angle front-facing camera.
Dang Sir. Now that's a 5 star quality answer. Thanks!!!

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Is there any difference between 3 and 2 or is it the same? Looking at buying a Pixel phone because of the camera picture quality and wondering if no difference, I probably should get the pixel 2 xl then.

Thanks!
If you want to save some $$$, the 2 takes some pretty amazing pictures. My iPhone addicted friends and family swoon over my pics and always want me to use my phone to take a pic and send to them!

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
If you want to save some $$$, the 2 takes some pretty amazing pictures. My iPhone addicted friends and family swoon over my pics and always want me to use my phone to take a pic and send to them!
My friend has a 2xl Panda 128gb. Almost brand new that I could buy for probably $300 (friend special deal). I am having hard time saying no to that.

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
My friend has a 2xl Panda 128gb. Almost brand new that I could buy for probably $300 (friend special deal). I am having hard time saying no to that.
Wow, that's a fantastic deal. Bought my wife a Pixel 2 XL in the spring (she had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and she's been more than pleased.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Done deal. Will have it Monday. $300 for 128 2XL Panda. Mint condition. I currently have OnePlus 6T. Love that phone. So so smooth and joy to use. I think it is gonna be a struggle which one to use. It is why I didn't want to get the 2XL
Wow, that's a fantastic deal. Bought my wife a Pixel 2 XL in the spring (she had a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge) and she's been more than pleased.
Get on that!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If he hasn't done it already, add Camera 3 (it's from an XDA dev - the Pixel 3 camera app modified for the 2), and you get Night Sight. You also get Top Shot (and you still have laser focus). About all you're missing is the slight improvement to the Visual Core (and I've never noticed any difference) and the high res zoom (although unless you're trying to read a license plate way down the block, I've never had a problem with).

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I thought pixel 2 camera was updated with Night Shot. No?
If he hasn't done it already, add Camera 3 (it's from an XDA dev - the Pixel 3 camera app modified for the 2), and you get Night Sight. You also get Top Shot (and you still have laser focus). About all you're missing is the slight improvement to the Visual Core (and I've never noticed any difference) and the high res zoom (although unless you're trying to read a license plate way down the block, I've never had a problem with).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Based on photos I've seen taken with the Pixel 2 and the Pixel 3, I'd say there is barely any difference. I'm not a camera buff by any means, so all I see are "really good photos." If you put two pictures of the same scene taken by the two different phones, I wouldn't be able to tell which photo had been taken with which phone.

Now, the P3 does have some new camera features; but I'd still say the improvement is incremental/minimal.

Byrese

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Done deal. Will have it Monday. $300 for 128 2XL Panda. Mint condition. I currently have OnePlus 6T. Love that phone. So so smooth and joy to use. I think it is gonna be a struggle which one to use. It is why I didn't want to get the 2XL
Ya that would be a hard choice. Good luck!

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Lots of misinformation. The Pixel 2's have Night Sight already and it is amazing. The actual sensors are very close...iterative if you will. You will not see much of a difference in day-to-day activity. Heck my wife's original Pixel has Night Sight. It still takes great photos but handles a little slower. Serious amateur photographers will like the 2 or 3.

Mark Weiner

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Got my Pixel 2 less about 6 months ago...I'm not upgrading to the Pixel 3 over a specification on paper...LOL...

It's basically the same camera, I have night mode, same lens, as someone else said it's impossible to see the difference ...I can believe that....

Save your money.. for the Pixel 4.. especially if you just got your phone... there's always a new model around the corner....

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the feedback. Picked up Panda 2 xl 128gb from a friend for $300. Looks brand new. Been using it since Monday. Camera and AOD are the only things I like over my 6T.

Wish stock Android has the little nice features Oxygen OS brings to the table.

Anyway, I think I'll be using it as my daily driver just because of the camera and AOD. otherwise, I like 6T much more.

Rmagruder

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Actually you get super res zoom on the 2 using the modded Camera as well. I've tested head to head with stock and compared to my wife's Pixel 3. It works. Using the modded camera all I am really missing is the front wide angle lens. Every other feature works and is virtually indistinguishable from the 3.