Every evening I charge my Pixel 2, power it off, and in the morning when I wake up I turn it on. Android 9 boots in a hurry. I noticed a lot of people leave it on all night, some on the charger. Other than getting phone calls and messages at night, is there any advantage to leaving it on?
    12-31-2018 09:09 PM
    I use mine as an alarm to get up for work..
    pkcable and Hypnotoadd like this.
    12-31-2018 09:22 PM
    I don't remember I ever turned my cell phone off at night. That has been the case for years now. I don't charge them overnight though. Have a charger at home, work, and car. So no need to wake up to a 100% charger phone.

Why do you turn yours off? I just go on do not disturb mode or put it in silent.
    12-31-2018 09:28 PM
    My only phone so stays on always in case of any emergency. Only contacts are allowed thru tho during my snoozing hours. It is on charger until my mid-night pit stop then it is 100% and I unplug. I do reboot 2 or 3 times a week as well. Always have.
    pkcable likes this.
    01-01-2019 01:37 AM
    My only phone so stays on always in case of any emergency. Only contacts are allowed thru tho during my snoozing hours. It is on charger until my mid-night pit stop then it is 100% and I unplug. I do reboot 2 or 3 times a week as well. Always have.
    Pixel phones don't need that many reboots. I leave mine on with no reboots until monthly security patching . It never missed a beat. So one reboot a month.
    01-01-2019 07:30 AM
    Pixel phones don't need that many reboots. I leave mine on with no reboots until monthly security patching . It never missed a beat. So one reboot a month.
    Man that's crazy lol. The phones I've had in the past wouldn't be functioning after being on for a continuous month. I also have a land line so my phones get charged up then unplugged and shut off every night. Might explain why they've been mostly all trouble free for me. I would still recommend a daily reboot for optimum performance.

My wife was always leaving her windows phones and Kindles on 24/7 and having lots of problems.... once she started turning them off the majority of issues went away.
    01-01-2019 08:20 AM
    Man that's crazy lol. The phones I've had in the past wouldn't be functioning after being on for a continuous month. I also have a land line so my phones get charged up then unplugged and shut off every night. Might explain why they've been mostly all trouble free for me. I would still recommend a daily reboot for optimum performance.

My wife was always leaving her windows phones and Kindles on 24/7 and having lots of problems.... once she started turning them off the majority of issues went away.
    Daily reboot, oh boy that is an overkill. Pixel phones are optimized to not need a reboot every few days. Mine right now been on for 20 days and not a single hicup.

My latest Samsung phones, note 8 and note 9, I used to restart about once every 10 days or so.

My pixel 2 XL is tough like a mountain . On all the time until it tells me it needs a reboot or monthly security patch applied hehehehe
    01-01-2019 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the input. I don't reboot daily for the reboot but after thirty years of being on-call at night I enjoy turning my phone off at night if there is no reason not to.
    01-01-2019 09:32 AM
    I leave mine on all night (in case of emergency and it's also my alarm clock). I charge it in the morning though. Plug it in when my wife gets up and it's typically at least 95% charged by the time I'm ready to leave the house. Takes about an hour and a half to get from 30ish% to 95%+.
    01-01-2019 09:54 PM
    Daily reboot, oh boy that is an overkill. Pixel phones are optimized to not need a reboot every few days. Mine right now been on for 20 days and not a single hicup.

My latest Samsung phones, note 8 and note 9, I used to restart about once every 10 days or so.

My pixel 2 XL is tough like a mountain . On all the time until it tells me it needs a reboot or monthly security patch applied hehehehe
    You're an animal lol. This is my first pixel, and I have read that they're very well optimized and run like tanks ;-) I really like the seamless update system.... very sweet :-D
    01-02-2019 07:33 AM
    I leave mine turned on. I'm in 12 step recovery and want to be available in case of emergencies. Additionally I have parents that are in their 70ies, that I also want to be available for.

And as @hallux said, it's a great clock/alarm.
    01-02-2019 01:58 PM
    Leave it on charge all night. I want to make sure calls come in and I use it as my alarm. I don't recall when I last rebooted.
    01-02-2019 04:08 PM
    I keep mine on all night; but my phone sets to Do Not Disturb right at eleven o'clock. I use my phone as my alarm and so all of my alarms are set; and I have my mother, husband, brother, and two close friends as priority alerts, and so I keep my phone on in case someone significant needs to get a hold of me.
    01-02-2019 07:12 PM
    I should expand on my answer - I also use DnD on my phone, only favorite contacts can call through. I also don't leave mine on charge overnight - I charge it as much as will happen before I turn over to get to sleep, whatever it is it is but it's usually between 90 and 100%
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-03-2019 06:04 AM
    I should expand on my answer - I also use DnD on my phone, only favorite contacts can call through. I also don't leave mine on charge overnight - I charge it as much as will happen before I turn over to get to sleep, whatever it is it is but it's usually between 90 and 100%
    DnD?! Awesome! My husband loves D&D! What kind of app is it?
    01-03-2019 08:26 AM
    DnD?! Awesome! My husband loves D&D! What kind of app is it?
    DnD - Do not Disturb...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-03-2019 08:33 AM
    DnD - Do not Disturb...
    LOOOOOOOOOL I was thinking about Dungeons and Dragons...

You can tell that I haven't had enough coffee, right?

But in my defense, "DnD" or "D&D" are also used for Dungeons and Dragons abbreviations.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    01-03-2019 01:49 PM
    LOOOOOOOOOL I was thinking about Dungeons and Dragons...

You can tell that I haven't had enough coffee, right?

But in my defense, "DnD" or "D&D" are also used for Dungeons and Dragons abbreviations.
    You just reminded me of this....

Morty2264 likes this.
    01-03-2019 04:50 PM
    You just reminded me of this....

LOOOOOL I love that show! I do want to play! I already play Magic: The Gathering with him so I'm hoping I can figure out D&D!

But in Mobile land, DnD is also quite useful. 🤣
    01-04-2019 07:10 AM
    LOOOOOL I love that show! I do want to play! I already play Magic: The Gathering with him so I'm hoping I can figure out D&D!

But in Mobile land, DnD is also quite useful.
    M:TG is still around? I played that 20 years ago. I might still have a Mox Ruby and Black Lotus laying around. I got the Black Lotus (It's a beta) from one of the Wizard of the Coast guys at E3 in Atlanta in the late 90ies.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-04-2019 11:13 AM
    M:TG is still around? I played that 20 years ago. I might still have a Mox Ruby and Black Lotus laying around. I got the Black Lotus (It's a beta) from one of the Wizard of the Coast guys at E3 in Atlanta in the late 90ies.
    Oh yes, it's still around! And it's so much fun! They're making new cards now and are also combining the worlds of D&D and Magic! It's now the same universe.
    01-04-2019 01:22 PM
    It's still around, my brother is teaching my 12 year-old nephew how to play.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-04-2019 03:44 PM