OK Google won't read texts

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
On my 2 XL, when I ask Google to read me my last text message it always responds that there are no new messages. Is this normal? I thought it used to read them. Pretty sure I have the relevant permissions enabled.

Attachments

• 76400.jpg
    76400.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 41

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I got the same message as you. Maybe it only works for new, unread messages? The next time I receive a new message, I will ask the Assistant to read it.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It always reads me my new texts.... I do most of my texting that way hands free, receiving and sending. The wording can make a difference though..... I don't remember now if I ask for new or recent text messages. I do believe it only reads new messages, that's why it said no new messages. It won't read messages you've already read if I remember correctly.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Thank you. My memory must be faulty. I thought it would read messages you had already read. Eg., read my last message from Jane. This would be a helpful feature to have. I'll look to provide feedback to the Google.

It won't read messages you've already read if I remember correctly.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. My memory must be faulty. I thought it would read messages you had already read. Eg., read my last message from Jane. This would be a helpful feature to have. I'll look to provide feedback to the Google.

That is a really good thing to suggest to Google!

Also, when I get a new text message, I'm going to try out the "read my last message" phrase and see what happens!

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Same issue on my Note 9. Google Assistant or "OK Google" was reading text messages aloud with no issue. Suddenly no more. I ask to read my last message or latest message and I get the response, "There aren't any new messages." even though the notification is still in the notification panel.
I am using Textra SMS app on a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy Note 9 with 8GB RAM and 512GB storage. Not exactly a slouch of a phone.

This has been an issue for several weeks.

Google Assistant will no longer read SMS aloud from Textra or other third party SMS apps.

Google Assistant will sometimes read SMS aloud from Google's Android Messages and Samsung Messages apps.

Google Assistant will never ask if I wish to reply after it reads an SMS aloud from the Samsung Messages app.

Google Assistant will only sometimes ask if I wish to reply after it reads an SMS aloud from Google's Android Messages app and usually will not understand my responses.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae