How to clean the charging port

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

My P2 is not making a good connection any longer and at times in the morning, it isn't charged. If I push the charger in pretty firmly, it starts charging. I suspect it to be dirty

I have tried different chargers all with the same result. My wife has a P2 XL and she is not having any issues. Also tried a gentle blast of air with no luck.

What is the best way to go about cleaning the port so the charger will make a good connection, OR what do you all suggest?

Rick

Last edited:

Hairy Brain

Apr 8, 2017
Visit site
Howdy,
A wee spray from a can of compressed air will clean out any debris of that's the issue. Get it DIY shop or office and stationary shops.

Ross

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What is the best way to go about cleaning the port so the charger will make a good connection, OR what do you all suggest?
I'd suggest using a wooden toothpick to prod around in the port to dislodge any gunk that may have been compacted. Additionally, a clean/dry toothbrush may help to swipe out any residue.
Obviously you'd want the phone turned completely off anytime you fiddle with the charging port.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

My P2 is not making a good connection any longer and at times in the morning, it isn't charged. If I push the charger in pretty firmly, it starts charging. I suspect it to be dirty

I have tried different charges all with the same result. My wife has a P2 XL and she is not having any issues. Also tried a gentle blast of air with no luck.

Rick

You may have some lint. As previously suggested try a wooden toothpick. I prefer a plastic one but not everyone has them. I assume you have tried different charging cables.

joe01880

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Is it the stock charger that came with the phone? If yes try reversing the usb-c connector. Exchange the end in the charger for the end that goes in the phone, see if that helps....
You can also try replacing the usb-c cable altogether..
Good luck!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like you've gotten some really good suggestions! Keep us posted with what happens with your charging port. It's likely that you've got some lint forming on the port.

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey folks, I'm back

A blast of air had no affect

I was able to take wooden toothpicks, break them along the grain to make long thin slivers, from there I was able to get inside next to each side of the electronics and pulled out quite a bit of picket lint/crud

My charging connector makes a much better connection now

:)
Rick

axllebeer

Trusted Member
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Had this problem several weeks ago. Although I was hesitant to use something metal that would potentially cause a short circuit, I turned my Pixel off and then cleaned it out carefully with a sewing needle. Worked like a charm for me. No issues and that was about a month ago.

Tayloj92

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Had this problem several weeks ago. Although I was hesitant to use something metal that would potentially cause a short circuit, I turned my Pixel off and then cleaned it out carefully with a sewing needle. Worked like a charm for me. No issues and that was about a month ago.

I was about to say the same thing. When i had my note 5 i finally just bought a plug for the charging port and just used wireless charging. But that's not possible for obvious reasons with the pixel 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol