Pixel 2 (128 GB)

Apparently I am having some issues with sensors on my phone. I first noticed the issue when trying to use Sky Map. I get the message, "Bad news! Unfortunately your device might not have one of the sensors that Sky Map needs. . . ." I then tested 2 different compass apps and they aren't working. Previously Sky Map and the compass app worked fine. I also just tested with Google Maps. GPS is working fine, but the compass doesn't seem to work there either.

I downloaded Sensors Multitool app by weRed Software. This app seems to indicate that all the sensors are working. However, it doesn't seem to have a magnetometer and I'm guessing that's where the problem lies.

Is there anything I can do with the phone of does it need to be repaired?
    01-16-2019 12:22 PM
    Try GPS Status & Toolbox - it shows the compass heading (you may have to rotate the phone 3 times around each axis to calibrate it to get an accurate heading).

If it indicates that there's no compass, contact Google support - the 2 is still under warranty.
    waynomo likes this.
    01-16-2019 01:30 PM
    What do you mean by "compass doesn't seem to work"?

If you mean that it functions but is inaccurate, then you probably need to calibrate it - something that must be done regularly. In fact, really, anytime you want to use it; this is a quirk of the technology used to create solid-state compasses.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-need...-a-compass-app

https://support.google.com/maps/answ...DAndroid&hl=en (click the "Calibrate your phone or tablet" header)
    01-16-2019 01:34 PM
    The different compasses always indicate straight north regardless of which way the phone is turned. (N, E, S, W)
    I've calibrated it at least 6 times.
    01-16-2019 02:19 PM
    Reboot your phone and see if that helps. If not, try a different app.
    Good luck!
    01-16-2019 07:57 PM
    Reboot your phone and see if that helps. If not, try a different app.
    Good luck!
    Rebooted many different times. I've tried several different compass apps.
    01-17-2019 12:05 PM
    Do you have your phone in a case? What sort of case? Does it have a magnetic closure such as some folio style cases? Do you have a metal plate inserted between the case and the phone back for use with a magnetic car mount?

Any or all of these things can cause the compass to "malfunction" - try removing your case entirely and test the compass again.
    01-20-2019 07:00 AM