Why wont android update from 8 to 9?

Drandy35

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I just reviecied a warranty replacement Pixel 2XL which has stock Android 8 running.

It has picked up that it wants to update to version 9. However, it starts the process and then just says download paused.

I tried restarting it but the same result and left it all night connected to WiFi but nothing?

Any ideas? The only thing I haven't done is put a sim card in, but does it need that to update?

Cheers

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It shouldn't need a SIM card to update (you shouldn't even have to setup your Google account during setup) but it certainly won't hurt to try.
You could try booting into Safe mode to see if it makes a difference; since it's a replacement you might even want to try a Factory Reset.
But if it was me I'd just flash the latest firmware from the Google developer website.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
But if it was me I'd just flash the latest firmware from the Google developer website.

I was going to suggest that. (lol, I went to open a tab to find the links, forgot what I was doing and went down a rabbit hole)

Here are the links to the Google pages with the images and instructions -
OTA images (in-place update, same as gets sent over the air) - https://developers.google.com/android/ota
Full image (to start over from scratch with the new version) - https://developers.google.com/android/images

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
When I first got my phone I updated and installed the apps on wifi no sim card. Shouldn't need it.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
The SIM is a Subscriber Identification card. How do you expect them to id the phone as theirs to update? I'm sure you could manually force it, but Ota, I haven't seen.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi

I just reviecied a warranty replacement Pixel 2XL which has stock Android 8 running.

It has picked up that it wants to update to version 9. However, it starts the process and then just says download paused.

I tried restarting it but the same result and left it all night connected to WiFi but nothing?

Any ideas? The only thing I haven't done is put a sim card in, but does it need that to update?

Cheers
As above, not ota, but doable. This is for the S9. Ymmv.

If you purchased the Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+ from a carrier then you may need their SIM card to download a new OTA update unless you follow these steps.

Wireless carriers will hold a number of sales for a smartphone during its life cycle in an attempt to draw in more people to its service. Sometimes these are sold at a profit but sometimes they are so low in price that the company is hoping they’ll make their money on the monthly wireless plan payments. These companies try to keep the phones pinned down to their service by requiring you to have a SIM card for that company in your device. This isn’t always the case for all wireless providers, but there are some that do.

Thankfully, there are a couple of different ways that we can get around this and I’ll be showing you the easiest method here. This guide will also be useful for those who don’t have a reliable connection to a WiFi network. These new OTA updates can be many gigabytes in size and slow or spotty WiFi networks can take hours downloading the update only to find out that it errored out toward the end. Today we will be installing a new OTA update on the Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+ using the Samsung Smart Switch PC program.

Updating the Galaxy S9 without a SIM Card

Download and install Samsung Smart Switch to the PC

Launch the Smart Switch program

Then connect your Galaxy S9 to the PC with a USB cable

Smart Switch should then detect which phone you have

So that it can check online to see if you have a new OTA update waiting for you

If you do, you’ll see a blue Update button appear right below the name of the phone

Click this Update button and wait for the update to download to the PC

It will then be copied over to the Galaxy S9

And then it will be installed just like any other OTA update

[https://i]

Explanation

The actual update process will be the same as if you had downloaded the OTA update over a WiFi connection. The installation is the same it’s just that we have changed the way that update is being delivered to the Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9+. As I mentioned, this is one of two methods that we can use to manually install a new update on the phone. There’s actually a third method using Odin but this will wipe your device clean and while that is something that some people want, it’s generally not the most ideal way.

So to start, we need to download and install the Samsung Smart Switch to the PC. Not only will this provide you with a way to create backups, do restores, or even sync with Microsoft Outlook. Smart Switch will also install the Samsung USB drivers that you’ll need to handle things like ADB/Fastboot, Odin, and anything else that we do over a USB connection. Once the program has been installed then you can go ahead and open it up. You’ll be told to connect your smartphone to the PC with a USB cable.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I should have been more specific. It came with Android 8, and it updated to Android 9 on wifi.

Same here, except I went from Android 7 to 9 straight out of the box with no sim installed. I've done my last several Android phones that way, because I like to get the new phone completely up and running before I switch out the sim so I know the new phone is good to go.

Sometimes you can actually get an update quicker if you pull the sim out.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Same here, except I went from Android 7 to 9 straight out of the box with no sim installed. I've done my last several Android phones that way, because I like to get the new phone completely up and running before I switch out the sim so I know the new phone is good to go.

Sometimes you can actually get an update quicker if you pull the sim out.
That's great for the 2 of you, but the op isn't as fortunate. The statement
' These companies try to keep the phones pinned down to their service by requiring you to have a SIM card for that company in your device.'
is correct. If you are not updating without the sim card installed, troubleshooting leads to putting in the card. It shouldn't be an issue at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21