Help! Contacts not showing names on text messages after replacement from Google

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Google sent me my 4th phone via replacement today, Pixel 2XL. Unlike past exchanges, something is up with my contacts.

When pulling the messages app up, I have 95% phone numbers and 5% names. Weirdly clicking on a number it will then tell you the person's name but I can't just see the names from the messages screen.

I have turned off sync and re-enabled, I've also checked other contacts settings. First time I've had this issue and been unable to solve it.

Any tips? It's on Android 9, I feel like maybe I'm just missing something? This is a major PITA but all contacts show under contacts so I can work around it, but surely there's a way to fix it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you copy the data from the old phone directly, use a Google backup or setup as New?
If it's a big deal I'd suggest a Factory Reset and setup as New (you'll still get your contacts from your Google account).

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Did you copy the data from the old phone directly, use a Google backup or setup as New?
If it's a big deal I'd suggest a Factory Reset and setup as New (you'll still get your contacts from your Google account).
It's a brand new phone why would I need to do a reset again?

It followed the Google transfer instructions as I have done on the prior three pieces of ****

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Caved and called google Tech Support. Some sort of bug with copying info over, and the country code getting dropped on the transfer, after a lot of troubleshooting, I removed my google accounts from the phone, restarted, added my google account back and that solved it.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It's a brand new phone why would I need to do a reset again?
It followed the Google transfer instructions as I have done on the prior three pieces of ****
Because it was possible that something went wrong during the transfer process.
And it turns out from your final post that's exactly what happened. Hmm, go figure...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21