Google sent me my 4th phone via replacement today, Pixel 2XL. Unlike past exchanges, something is up with my contacts.

When pulling the messages app up, I have 95% phone numbers and 5% names. Weirdly clicking on a number it will then tell you the person's name but I can't just see the names from the messages screen.

I have turned off sync and re-enabled, I've also checked other contacts settings. First time I've had this issue and been unable to solve it.

Any tips? It's on Android 9, I feel like maybe I'm just missing something? This is a major PITA but all contacts show under contacts so I can work around it, but surely there's a way to fix it.
    03-15-2019 08:34 PM
    Did you copy the data from the old phone directly, use a Google backup or setup as New?
    If it's a big deal I'd suggest a Factory Reset and setup as New (you'll still get your contacts from your Google account).
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-15-2019 09:33 PM
    Did you copy the data from the old phone directly, use a Google backup or setup as New?
    If it's a big deal I'd suggest a Factory Reset and setup as New (you'll still get your contacts from your Google account).
    It's a brand new phone why would I need to do a reset again?

It followed the Google transfer instructions as I have done on the prior three pieces of ****
    03-15-2019 09:43 PM
    Long press messages app. Select app information. Select permissions. Give the app permission to access your contacts.
    03-16-2019 08:22 AM
    That's already on. I disabled and re-enabled. To no avail.
    03-16-2019 10:07 AM
    Caved and called google Tech Support. Some sort of bug with copying info over, and the country code getting dropped on the transfer, after a lot of troubleshooting, I removed my google accounts from the phone, restarted, added my google account back and that solved it.
    03-16-2019 11:30 AM
    It's a brand new phone why would I need to do a reset again?
    It followed the Google transfer instructions as I have done on the prior three pieces of ****
    Because it was possible that something went wrong during the transfer process.
    And it turns out from your final post that's exactly what happened. Hmm, go figure...
    J Dubbs likes this.
    03-16-2019 12:28 PM
    Because it was possible that something went wrong during the transfer process.
    And it turns out from your final post that's exactly what happened. Hmm, go figure...
    Glad I didn't have to go that route but appreciate the suggestion.
    03-16-2019 12:58 PM