Hi all,

I am using my Pixel 2XL to record an hour long video each week and posting to youtube. I have the video settings set to 1080p, 30 frames per second. Because the video is so long, the Pixel cuts the video into clips once the file reaches about 3.6gb. An hour-long video usually produces 3 of these clips.

Since the video is cut into clips, I have to do quite a bit of editing to get the clips joined together into one file, and compressed down to a manageable size. Even then, there is a slight hiccup in the video where one clip stops and the other starts.

Is there a better way?
    03-21-2019 11:29 AM
    Not really. You could change camera angle when the video stops, or change the position of the people on the set, or do something else that would account for the sudden cut, but it is going to cut. You might find a camera app designed for long videos, although I haven't actually looked for one.
    03-21-2019 12:47 PM
    Because the video is so long, the Pixel cuts the video into clips once the file reaches about 3.6gb. An hour-long video usually produces 3 of these clips.
    What I've read indicates that Android should be using the ext4 filesystem, which has a 2TB file size limit. So the issue shouldn't be the filesystem, which leaves the Camera application as the culprit.
    I suppose you could try looking for another camera application, preferably one that implements the Camera 2 APIs, and see if you can get past this arbitrary ~4GB file size boundary.
    You could certainly pose this question over on XDA - someone there may know if Google has imposed an addressing scheme that only allows the filesystem to deal with 4GB files.
    03-23-2019 12:50 AM
    Thanks for the replies
    03-23-2019 07:38 AM
    You could try VideoKit+. I use it to compress video file size to attach to email or even MMS. However not sure about the long clips and merging together. The videos I've compressed are only a few minutes long.

The app UI isn't the most intuitive and I had to learn how to use it, but it does work. I haven't used it much since getting my Pixel 2XL since Google Photos works so well for sharing.
    04-14-2019 10:11 PM