Is 3a xl an upgrade to pixel 2 xl?

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No way. Pixel 2 XL is still a superior phone to pixel 3a xl by a very long shot.

Completely disagree.

I think it depends on what you value. The 2XL is a solid device at this point still however....

The 3a XL has as good or better screen according to a couple of the reviews so far which was a big issue on the 2XL.

The 670 processor actually beats the 835 in most areas, better modem, better GPU, better ISP for pic processing. The only area the 835 wins is clock speed.

The battery will be new in the 3a XL, vs an old one or replacement in a 2XL and in most devices I've used with a 600 series they are always better on battery life than an 800 series.

Also don't forget you will get updates longer with the 3a XL.

3a XL has a headphone jack..... I don't use it much but I do occasionally need it and then I have to hunt down the stupid dongle...

Just my $0.02. unless you can get a 2XL significantly cheaper than a new 3aXL, I'd go with the 3aXL. Mint condition on swappa is as much or more for a 20ish month old phone model.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Completely disagree.

I think it depends on what you value. The 2XL is a solid device at this point still however....

The 3a XL has as good or better screen according to a couple of the reviews so far which was a big issue on the 2XL.

The 670 processor actually beats the 835 in most areas, better modem, better GPU, better ISP for pic processing. The only area the 835 wins is clock speed.

The battery will be new in the 3a XL, vs an old one or replacement in a 2XL and in most devices I've used with a 600 series they are always better on battery life than an 800 series.

Also don't forget you will get updates longer with the 3a XL.

3a XL has a headphone jack..... I don't use it much but I do occasionally need it and then I have to hunt down the stupid dongle...

Just my $0.02. unless you can get a 2XL significantly cheaper than a new 3aXL, I'd go with the 3aXL. Mint condition on swappa is as much or more for a 20ish month old phone model.

You can disagree but the Pixel 2 is a high end phone compared to the 3a which is a midranger therefore the 3a is not an upgrade. The 3a doesn't even have the Visual Core processor which gimps the camera. It is a newer phone but that's about it.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You can disagree but the Pixel 2 is a high end phone compared to the 3a which is a midranger therefore the 3a is not an upgrade. The 3a doesn't even have the Visual Core processor which gimps the camera. It is a newer phone but that's about it.
Fair enough. Yet it seems to be taking pics just as well as the pixel 3 from what I've seen so far. That visual core is just a co processor. I don't think the 2XL is a high end device at this point in it's lifecycle.

Doesn't make me wrong, doesn't make you right that you think it is. I think you are putting to much into the terms mid-range and high end and their initial pricing. At best it's the upper end of mid range and you can't argue with me about updates. The 2XL is way closer to EOL for software support and for even money I'll take one with full software support ahead of it and a new battery.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Fair enough. Yet it seems to be taking pics just as well as the pixel 3 from what I've seen so far. That visual core is just a co processor. I don't think the 2XL is a high end device at this point in it's lifecycle.

Doesn't make me wrong, doesn't make you right that you think it is. I think you are putting to much into the terms mid-range and high end and their initial pricing. At best it's the upper end of mid range and you can't argue with me about updates. The 2XL is way closer to EOL for software support and for even money I'll take one with full software support ahead of it and a new battery.

The Visual Core processes much faster. HDR+ is a turtle on the 3a

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
If someone gave me a new 3aXL I'd sell it and continue to use my 2xl. Front facing speakers, higher resolution screen, still fast/smooth, still excellent battery, and the panda back gives it a unique look.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting to see the specs of the 3A XL. Once verified I ordered a 2 XL. Nothing about it stood out and I really wanted 128 GB. Plus I found one in mint for $250 on eBay. Using it right now and it's super smooth.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Only 3 areas where the 3a XL DEFINITELY beats the 2 XL is when it comes to the (more recent) software updates, battery (3700mAh vs 3500mAh) and display. The 2 XL’s LG OLED panel was plagued by lack of vibrancy and poor viewing angles. And finally, the 3a XL has a headphone jack :)

When it comes to the processor it depends on what is more important to you. The Snadpragon 835 has a higher clock speed, so on paper it’s faster. However, the Snadpragon 670 has a better GPU (handles games better) and better modem (fast wifi speeds/handling). It also has a better ISP but the 2 XL has visual core, so I’d say they’re about even.

So the Pixel 3a XL isn’t really an upgrade to the 2 XL...if you have the latter then it’s a waste of money getting the 3a XL. However, if software updates and a better display + headphone jack really matter to you or if you’re coming from a really old phone, I’d recommend the 3a XL.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The 2 and 3 are flagship phones (800 series Snapdragons). The a is a 600 series Snapdragon, making it a mid-range phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you view the 3.5 jack as a plus that's OK, however it is technically incorrect to say that the 2XL does not have a headphone jack. It has a USB C headphone jack which works just fine with USB C headphones and works great for 3.5 jack headphones with the Dongle adapter .

In fact, if you care about sound, the DAC inside the adapter provides better sound than phones with a 3.5 jack except for some of the LG phones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The 2 and 3 are flagship phones (800 series Snapdragons). The a is a 600 series Snapdragon, making it a mid-range phone.
I agree , 3a is a midrange device which is probably best in its class but the other two , 2xl and 3xl are premium top spec flagship phones dont matter how they dice it for 3a .

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Very much depends on what you value.

I appreciate the IP rating on the 2XL. You get full quality picture backups on the 2XL as well. Visual Core improvements I am unsure of as it may or may not be something noticed.

As someone who spends a lot of time outside in the rain, that IP rating in particular is hard to give up. (always keep in mind that the IP should only be seen as an insurance on water...don't count on it).

If I were buying brand new now I think I would go with the 3axl. I dare say better battery life, and most of the rest is a wash. The longer update span is a plus for the 3a.

Hard to move 'up' to the newer 3aXL from the 2XL for me. I might keep an eye out for one on sale as a backup device. I see this as a very lateral move for the most part, unless you must have the headphone jack. I also have 128GB of space as a min for my daily driver so the 3a series ruled out for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can't compare features and call the 3a an upgrade except that it's newer. The 3a is simply not designed to compete in the flagship category. I no longer have a 2XL but if I was deciding between the two I'd have to get the 2XL because it's just a better device. If you are keeping the phone awhile the 3a has an edge because of future updates, however the 2XL has a 2 year warranty if that makes a difference.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
If you view the 3.5 jack as a plus that's OK, however it is technically incorrect to say that the 2XL does not have a headphone jack. It has a USB C headphone jack which works just fine with USB C headphones and works great for 3.5 jack headphones with the Dongle adapter .

In fact, if you care about sound, the DAC inside the adapter provides better sound than phones with a 3.5 jack except for some of the LG phones.

I’m really sorry but how??? A headphone jack is solely the 3.5mm circular port, which is completely different to using the USB C port to 3.5mm adapter!

So it is technically correct to say that the 2 XL DOESN’T have a headphone jack...and therefore you can’t charge your phone and listen to music via wired headphones at the same time.

Nobody every said that you can’t use wired headphones with the 2 XL...you can, but just via the USB C port and in most cases, with the adapter. And nobody said that audio was better on the 3a XL either.

If you still disagree, here’s the definition of a headphone jack:

“Definition of: headphone jack. headphone jack. The analog socket used to plug in a headset, earphones or headphones. The 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks have been used on cellphones and smartphones, while stereo and home theater equipment generally have a 6.3mm socket.”

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I’m really sorry but how??? A headphone jack is solely the 3.5mm circular port, which is completely different to using the USB C port to 3.5mm adapter!

So it is technically correct to say that the 2 XL DOESN’T have a headphone jack...and therefore you can’t charge your phone and listen to music via wired headphones at the same time.

Nobody every said that you can’t use wired headphones with the 2 XL...you can, but just via the USB C port and in most cases, with the adapter. And nobody said that audio was better on the 3a XL either.

If you still disagree, here’s the definition of a headphone jack:

“Definition of: headphone jack. headphone jack. The analog socket used to plug in a headset, earphones or headphones. The 2.5 and 3.5mm jacks have been used on cellphones and smartphones, while stereo and home theater equipment generally have a 6.3mm socket.”

Assuming I need a definition to tell me what a headphone jack is over the top. Using an old definition doesn't buy you anything because technology is evolving at a faster rate than the definition.. A USB C port is still a headphone jack when used with matching equipment. If you're using conventional headphones the dongle works just fine. I had no trouble adapting. If that's not your cup of tea than so be it. If you feel 3.5 works better for you than that's the route to take. A headphone jack is just one feature and I don't buy my phone's based on that. I have three types of phones with three different headphone ports. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying my devices.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I think that you’ve either missed the point, or just disagree (which is fine). My point was saying that while the USB C port can be used AS a headphone jack, objectively speaking it isn’t one. Another difference (albeit obvious) is that a USB C port is designed so you can use it to charge and transmit large amounts of data through it...the 3.5mm can’t do that.

I’m not saying it’s superior or inferior to the 3.5mm jack, I’m just saying that it’s technically different, that’s all.