Is 3a xl an upgrade to pixel 2 xl?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think that you’ve either missed the point, or just disagree (which is fine). My point was saying that while the USB C port can be used AS a headphone jack, objectively speaking it isn’t one. Another difference (albeit obvious) is that a USB C port is designed so you can use it to charge and transmit large amounts of data through it...the 3.5mm can’t do that.

I’m not saying it’s superior or inferior to the 3.5mm jack, I’m just saying that it’s technically different, that’s all.

I'm not missing any point. If it can be used or functions as one, it is one. It's different and some might not like the differences. In any event we aren't going to change each other's minds and I think we have veered to far off topic for longer than need be.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You’re not missing any point...in your opinion.

But yeah, sure, we won’t change each other’s minds...this debate doesn’t need to continue.

Have a good day! :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You’re not missing any point...in your opinion.

But yeah, sure, we won’t change each other’s minds...this debate doesn’t need to continue.

Have a good day! :)

We are way off topic here.

No... I'm not missing any point. Please don't tell me what I know or think or don't know.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I was all set to trade in my pixel 2xl for the 3a xl. Just received the 3a xl and I must say I prefer the 2 xl. Besides, I dropped the phone right out of the box and it fell about two feet and slid across a wood floor. Two scratches now on the front, so this dragon glass or what ever its called is a poor substitute to gorilla glass. The only real advantage of the 3a is that its newer and will be officially supported longer. But I'm returning the 3a xl and staying with the 2 xl. Just hope the scratches won't effect the return.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was all set to trade in my pixel 2xl for the 3a xl. Just received the 3a xl and I must say I prefer the 2 xl. Besides, I dropped the phone right out of the box and it fell about two feet and slid across a wood floor. Two scratches now on the front, so this dragon glass or what ever its called is a poor substitute to gorilla glass. The only real advantage of the 3a is that its newer and will be officially supported longer. But I'm returning the 3a xl and staying with the 2 xl. Just hope the scratches won't effect the return.

Are you sure it wasn't just the Oleophobic coating that came off?

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
What Mike Dee said could be an explanation. If the scratches are quite obvious then it might affect whether you can return it. But Dragontail glass is better than nothing, even if it’s not as good as Gorilla glass.

Maybe next time you might want to be more careful when opening a new phone from a box, like maybe over a carpet or something XD?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope they were two scratches, clearly visible, I could even feel them with my finger. Just waiting to see what google does to my refund besides the 35$ restocking fee.

That's pretty strange that a wood floor wood do that. Not saying it didn't happen that way...just baffling.
I don't know what their policy is but I would think they would refuse the return since it's damaged unless they are poor at examining returns.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty strange that a wood floor wood do that. Not saying it didn't happen that way...just baffling.
I don't know what their policy is but I would think they would refuse the return since it's damaged unless they are poor at examining returns.

That's just it, I never use screen protectors on gorilla glass phones and I've never had a scratch. Then a two ft drop onto a wood floor and maybe a 2 inch slide, resulted and two deep scratches. I admitted to the drop, but complained about the phone not having gorilla glass. The return policy does say the refund may be less depending on damage. Hopefully they will let it slide knowing they went with a less proven glass to save money. If not, I'll just sell it and get something back at least.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's just it, I never use screen protectors on gorilla glass phones and I've never had a scratch. Then a two ft drop onto a wood floor and maybe a 2 inch slide, resulted and two deep scratches. I admitted to the drop, but complained about the phone not having gorilla glass. The return policy does say the refund may be less depending on damage. Hopefully they will let it slide knowing they went with a less proven glass to save money. If not, I'll just sell it and get something back at least.
I admire your honesty but it may hurt you. I was going to suggest that a Whitestone dome screen protector might hide the scratches because of the liquid glue that they use but since you don't like screen protectors that might not be an option for you.

Some of those liquid screen protectors might also hide the scratches but I don't believe that they do anything as far as actually protecting the screen some cracking. Some include a warranty so that could be another option.

Maybe Google will let it slide.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Good luck with your return. But yeah, maybe next time if you have any concerns about your phone’s screen durability then buying a screen protector would be wise...they’re cheap and protect your screen from scratches (budget) to shattering (more expensive ones)

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Very few mentions of build quality. Some of the specs may be comparable but the 2xl has flagship build quality and the 3a is plastic with no gorilla glass.

Argos in the uk have new 2XLs right now for £349 (64gb) and £379 (128gb)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Good luck with your return. But yeah, maybe next time if you have any concerns about your phone’s screen durability then buying a screen protector would be wise...they’re cheap and protect your screen from scratches (budget) to shattering (more expensive ones)

I was intending to get a screen protector because it wasn't gorilla glass. Just a freak thing dropping it while just taking it out of the box. Still I was very surprises to see two deep scratches from the short slide across the floor. Yeah I should've just said it came that way, I doubt they'd call me a liar. Again even if they refuse or really low ball me on the return, I can always sell it myself. I mean it works, just has two scratches towards the top. Hurts resell value, but I know someone who sold their s7 with a cracked screen and still got a couple of hundred for it on Ebay.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
Very few mentions of build quality. Some of the specs may be comparable but the 2xl has flagship build quality and the 3a is plastic with no gorilla glass.

Argos in the uk have new 2XLs right now for £349 (64gb) and £379 (128gb)

Some consumers actually prefer plastic, and a few things that are better on the 3a XL than on the 2 XL: Newer software, headphone jack and a better display.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think that's more or less a combination of an objective and subjective point of view. Looking at the specs, it is probably not a justifiable upgrade, at least in my opinion. However, on the subjective side, it all boils down to the potential consumer's take on the two products.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
The only thing the 3a xl has over the pixel is the longer update cycle. I was intending to trade in the 2 xl, but having tried the 3a xl for a bit, I prefer the 2 xl

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag