So how many pixels have you returned?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Only had to return the first Pixel 2xl after a few months due to various screen issues. The replacement was pristine and came with a new 2 year warranty. Haven't had any problems over last 8 months.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Replaced the first one because I bricked it doing a manual update (using USB 3.0, which is a no-no) and I didn't know how to fix it (I do now).

Asked to have the second one replaced when the FPS stopped working. The four replacements didn't work either, and they couldn't replace my finger, so I kept the one I had. (That's the "dry, shriveled skin in the winter" problem.) Just before I got the 4th one, the original one (which is a replacement, but new, not refurb) started working again, so 4 phones, talking to customer support, tech support, then finally development (in California) and the result was no replacement needed.

Started running the Q beta, manually installed. By the second bets, there were too many apps that I depend on that wouldn't work, so I flashed the then-current Pie ROM - and the phone bricked. It turned on in the bootloader (which has been unlocked since day one, since I run TWRP and Magisk), would power off if no power was applied and would show me the barcodes. Any other choice stayed in the bootloader. And there was no USB connection! The PC didn't see the phone. So call for another replacement. It didn't work, so they sent another one - and while waiting for it to arrive, I learned how to unbrick a Pixel 2 - just hold the power button in until the phone vibrates - about 30 seconds. Booted boot.img and the phone was all there, TWRP included. Booted to the bootloader, flashed boot.img, flashed Magisk, (and a few modules that I use), and the phone is now up to the June Pie update. Waiting for the July update in a little over a week.

So, bottom line, I'm on my second one, but I returned 7 of them, a few through a shipping store, a few I just refused delivery (by Google's direction). Not bad, considering that I could have (now that I know how) fixed the first one and not have replaced any.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to need a new Pixel unit. But it's something that's always nagging me in the back of my mind - partially because I didn't get Google insurance...

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
My first p2 was perfect but I dropped it. Got a new replacement with a bad camera, got a third replacement that I had to send back but at this point I can't remember why. 4th p2 was perfect. Now I have a used 2XL with no issues at all.

GeorgesBlazah

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I guess if you get a pixel that works good you're fine, but once you start getting replacements is when it goes downhill.

It has been the most frustrating experience ever. Each time I get a replacement, I get the line that we thoroughly test all of our replacement units for defects, but I always seem to get one that stops working after a month or two. Try to explain that to the rep but that gets me nowhere. I love the software, hate the hardware.

Last edited by a moderator:

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
And there was no USB connection! The PC didn't see the phone. So call for another replacement.

Hey that reminded me of my experience with my Pixel 2XL. I spent a while going back and forth with Google's helpful staff sending logs etc...but I discovered from a blog post somewhere that on my set up with a 2018 MAC Mini, that DROPBOX and ONEDRIVE were interfering. Once I disabled those the Pixel connected like a charm. On Beta build QPP4 .019 the issue seems to have gone.

Ben_70

May 31, 2017
Visit site
I returned one 2xl. It had squeeze issues (Assistant would start up randomly on its own). Replacement is what I'm using today and I've had it for a year and a half without issues.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800