So how many pixels have you returned?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any issues with Pixels -- even the 2 XL. Everyone belly-ached about the screen, and I was perfectly happy with it. No current issues with 3 XL.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I guess if you get a pixel that works good your fine, but once you start getting replacements is when it goes downhill.

It has been the most frustrating experience ever. Each time I get a replacement, I get the line that we thoroughly test all of our replacement units for defects, but I always seem to get one that stops working after a month or two. Try to explain that to the rep but that gets me no where. I love the software, hate the hardware.

When you start getting "refurbished" replacements you're basically getting someone else's problem, that's why the replacement process becomes such a pain.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As a recovering BlackBerry Storm owner, I can totally relate to this thread! Fortunately I had good luck with the Pixel devices that I owned. :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to make that choice, isn't it?!
Not if the 4 has as much "improvement" over the 2 as the 3 had. If that's the case, I'll stick to my original plan - stay with the 2 until at least S comes out. If there's still no big improvement or addition, I'll just stay with it. The only difference I see between the 2 and the 3 is the camera app, and since I'm running cstark's Pixel 2 port of it, there's no difference. (I went from a Note 3 to a Pixel 2 - because I needed some security, like the FPS.) "It's a new phone" doesn't push my buttons.

If they really want my money, put back a replaceable battery (the S5 has a removable back cover - and is IP67 rated) and add an SD card slot (or a dual tray with the second slot in the tray for the SD card). The SD card would save me a lot of time and the replaceable battery would save me a lot of money. (UBreakIFix is over a 2 hour drive from here. Amazon is a 2 second web page from here.)

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Still on my original Pixel 2 XL. Debating grabbing a 4 this Fall or wait until the 5 next year...

Oh man! ... I'm starting to wonder about that, too! My phone has been totally fine, runs just as good as it did at the beginning ... however, I would sure like the latest and greatest when my contract is up at Christmas! My last phone's battery fizzled out at 2 years, I paid to put a new one in, and it lasted another 2 years. So, you wonder if the new batteries are any better than older ones???

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not if the 4 has as much "improvement" over the 2 as the 3 had. If that's the case, I'll stick to my original plan - stay with the 2 until at least S comes out. If there's still no big improvement or addition, I'll just stay with it. The only difference I see between the 2 and the 3 is the camera app, and since I'm running cstark's Pixel 2 port of it, there's no difference. (I went from a Note 3 to a Pixel 2 - because I needed some security, like the FPS.) "It's a new phone" doesn't push my buttons.

If they really want my money, put back a replaceable battery (the S5 has a removable back cover - and is IP67 rated) and add an SD card slot (or a dual tray with the second slot in the tray for the SD card). The SD card would save me a lot of time and the replaceable battery would save me a lot of money. (UBreakIFix is over a 2 hour drive from here. Amazon is a 2 second web page from here.)
Remember the s5 stupid flap over the charger port for water resistant , broke like 4 of them lol

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Oh man! ... I'm starting to wonder about that, too! My phone has been totally fine, runs just as good as it did at the beginning ... however, I would sure like the latest and greatest when my contract is up at Christmas! My last phone's battery fizzled out at 2 years, I paid to put a new one in, and it lasted another 2 years. So, you wonder if the new batteries are any better than older ones???

I highly suspect all the manufacturers are purposely putting in lower quality batteries that won't last as long, because the smartphone market overall has slowed down a ton.....and planned obsolescence is always the manufacturers way of forcing our money out of us.

Once we let them seal the phones we screwed ourselves. That's on us :-(
I'm extremely good at squeezing the maximum life out of my batteries though, so I still only pick up a phone every 3 or 4 years......then it's a flagship for half price.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Can you just become a phone manufacturer?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I just need to raise about $20 billion. You wouldn't happen to have that lying around as spare change, would you? (Even Chinese manufacturers, who have immediate access to component manufacturers and almost-free labor, need tens of millions.)

(And we'd still need someone to develop the equivalent of the Visual Core chip - without infringing on any patents. And I'd have no idea how to do that - I've never designed silicon.)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I highly suspect all the manufacturers are purposely putting in lower quality batteries that won't last as long, because the smartphone market overall has slowed down a ton.....and planned obsolescence is always the manufacturers way of forcing our money out of us.
Battery replacement isn't thatexpensive. And that's not what's making phones obsolete, it's improvements in technology that are. If I could have "downloaded" another 2GB or RAM, and a fingerprint sensor to my Note 3, I'd still be using it - if Samsung would keep writing vendor code for it. (Although I really do prefer having an unlockable bootloader.)

Besides, the reason batteries got sealed is for waterproofing. The reason they started getting lower capacities is because we wanted thinner phones.

Once we let them seal the phones
We virtually demanded that they seal them. Waterproofing, remember. The S5, as mustang7757 reminded us, never completely waterproofed the USB entry point.

I'm extremely good at squeezing the maximum life out of my batteries though, so I still only pick up a phone every 3 or 4 years......then it's a flagship for half price.
I don't mind paying for a battery replacement - If I'm going to keep the phone for a while. A $60 battery job is a lot cheaper than a $1,000 phone. Especially if the new phone has nothing to offer over the old one. Which is why I didn't buy a Pixel 3, and I probably won't buy a Pixel 4, 5 or 6. By then, it may be time.

Where's the real obsolescence? In vendors not providing updates for as long as the phone will handle them. Even a Note 3 (2013) should be able to run Pie. It runs Lineage 16, if you don't have an N900A. TWRP wold be nice too, not not for the A variant.)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sure, I just need to raise about $20 billion. You wouldn't happen to have that lying around as spare change, would you? (Even Chinese manufacturers, who have immediate access to component manufacturers and almost-free labor, need tens of millions.)

(And we'd still need someone to develop the equivalent of the Visual Core chip - without infringing on any patents. And I'd have no idea how to do that - I've never designed silicon.)

Unfortunately I couldn't even tell you what having $1000 looks like - let alone $20 billion!

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Returned my Pixel 2 about a year in due to a problem with the charging cord not seating correctly and falling out. Easy return and haven't had any issues with the new one.

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My original Pixel (in blue which I LOVED). I returned it due to the famous faulty mic issues with the first production units and was sent a refurbished device with slight screen bleeding. Regardless I kept it as it was not that much of an issue for me. A couple of months ago this same phone had a motherboard crash and died.

I am now using a Pixel 3 that I just mailed back to get a replacement device. Had too many boot looping issues and unable to connect to Wifi network.

Either Pixel phones don't really have a rigorous quality control or I am just plain unlucky.

I hope the device I get back will be new and not refurbished but I am not keeping my hopes up there.

I must be a masochist because besides all this I still love using Pixel phones!

Bryan Estrada

Jun 27, 2019
Visit site
I returned my pixel 3XL a month after I purchased it. It was overheating too much even with one app running, then it wasn't charging at all. Got a new one, haven't had problems since then