Anyone planning on using Gestures?

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Well, I hate gestures. I turned them on so I could walk my mom through some of the steps of setting up her new Pixel 3A. I feel like I am swiping the wrong way constantly. Pages don't do what I want them to do and it's really hard to switch between a game I play and everything else. And FB messages chat heads are hard to move without moving everything on the screen. Plus I miss the back button.

On the one hand I feel like I should just get used to it bc they might not include the option to turn it off in the future, on the other, I want to go back to 3 button for ease of use.
Have you tried the 2-button nav?

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I moved back to 2 button, the gestures just doesn't feel natural to me and i miss swipes once in a while. i'll give Google an update or 2 to tweak it in

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I use Nova - just to confirm: when I move on to Android 10, I'll have the option for 2 or 3 button navigation?

I currently use & like the 2 button setup with the Pill & back arrow with swiping up.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, I hate gestures. I turned them on so I could walk my mom through some of the steps of setting up her new Pixel 3A. I feel like I am swiping the wrong way constantly. Pages don't do what I want them to do and it's really hard to switch between a game I play and everything else. And FB messages chat heads are hard to move without moving everything on the screen. Plus I miss the back button.

On the one hand I feel like I should just get used to it bc they might not include the option to turn it off in the future, on the other, I want to go back to 3 button for ease of use.

I think if enough folks stick to using 3 button nav they'll keep it around as an option ;-)

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I use Nova - just to confirm: when I move on to Android 10, I'll have the option for 2 or 3 button navigation?

I currently use & like the 2 button setup with the Pill & back arrow with swiping up.
Yup... I am using 2-button gestures on my OWN with Android 10.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm still using gestures. It just flows better for me. Single swipe up for app drawer and being able to swipe back regardless of which hand I'm using are what's keeping me on it. Still wish a simpler way to swipe down notifications existed like it does for the app drawer swipe up... That's the main issue I have with it.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I'm still using gestures. It just flows better for me. Single swipe up for app drawer and being able to swipe back regardless of which hand I'm using are what's keeping me on it. Still wish a simpler way to swipe down notifications existed like it does for the app drawer swipe up... That's the main issue I have with it.
When I did my weeklong trial of Pixel's Launcher after the new gestures came out, there were things I missed from Nova but the only thing that truly frustrated me while using was the inability to swipe down on the screen for notifications.

That said, what phone do you have?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
When I did my weeklong trial of Pixel's Launcher after the new gestures came out, there were things I missed from Nova but the only thing that truly frustrated me while using was the inability to swipe down on the screen for notifications.

That said, what phone do you have?
2XL, so it's a stretch to get that notification bar swipe... I typically use my phone with one hand so I either have to use my other hand or adjust my grip just to swipe it down. Kinda defeats the purpose of a gesture when you have change your grip to use it...

DustBow

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Don't forget you can use the fingerprint scanner to swipe down for notifications... Although it seems to work better on some phones than others.

I remember my old HTC M8 had the ability to customize a 4th button on the dock & I used that for notifications. It was absolutely great. I know the current trend is to go the exact opposite way & eliminate buttons altogether, but there's got to be a happy medium somewhere - especially with phones getting taller & taller

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
But to your point about needing a swipe down gesture for notifications, I wonder how Google expects Pixel 4 users to reach the notification shade. I wouldn't expect that waving your other hand down in front of the Soli sensor would be acceptable because it still requires your other hand; defeating the purpose of gestures as a one-handed method of using your device.
All that's to say that a gesture to swipe down for notifications would have been nice to have.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
2XL, so it's a stretch to get that notification bar swipe... I typically use my phone with one hand so I either have to use my other hand or adjust my grip just to swipe it down. Kinda defeats the purpose of a gesture when you have change your grip to use it...
I completely agree. One thing you can do, that actually is pretty cool, is swipe down on the fingerprint reader on the back (I have a 2XL as well). What do you think?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I completely agree. One thing you can do, that actually is pretty cool, is swipe down on the fingerprint reader on the back (I have a 2XL as well). What do you think?
It only works half the time and with my phone rested on my pinky my fingers can't reach the scanner without adjusting my grip even more awkwardly than swiping the notification bar. Lol.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
But to your point about needing a swipe down gesture for notifications, I wonder how Google expects Pixel 4 users to reach the notification shade. I wouldn't expect that waving your other hand down in front of the Soli sensor would be acceptable because it still requires your other hand; defeating the purpose of gestures as a one-handed method of using your device.
All that's to say that a gesture to swipe down for notifications would have been nice to have.
It is quite finnicky. For me it didn't work for the first 3 months I owned. Then, it just started working.

But I just tried now and, ironically (after just suggesting the feature to the OP here) it's not working! Lol. Seriously Pixel, swipe down anywhere for notifications is soooooo intuitive. #cmongoogle

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
It only works half the time and with my phone rested on my pinky my fingers can't reach the scanner without adjusting my grip even more awkwardly than swiping the notification bar. Lol.
Yeah, I was afraid of that. This is why 3rd party Launchers exist. Have you ever tried one?

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I was afraid of that. This is why 3rd party Launchers exist. Have you ever tried one?
Oh, definitely. I've used launchers since the EVO 4G (damn that HTC launcher was hideous...). I've been using Nova premium for a few years now but I wanted to give the stock launcher a shot with gestures being added.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2