Android 10 - problem with fingerprint unlock

• Thread starter Deleted member 3124237
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3124237

Hi,
After I upgraded to Android 10, the fingerprint unlock feature stops working from time to time. The fix is to reboot the phone. The fingerprint still works on apps and if I go to fingerprint setup it still detects my fingerprints. At the same time it doesn't even recognize my finger swipe when I try to unlock th the phone. Thus it isn't the sensor. I deleted my fingerprints and re-saved them. No change. I don't see any action that is causing this. Any ideas? Anyone having this problem?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I had it on Pie, when the weather got cold (to the point that I jokingly asked tech support if they could replace my "defective" finger). Try cleaning the sensor with alcohol (some things, like the system, might need a better match than others, like some apps). I found it happening again, with stifling hot weather, again with only one finger, so I deleted that finger, to add it again - and it keeps failing.

Fingerprint sensor technology, at least the kind that Google uses (infra-red might be different) still isn't ready for prime time. (And the only reason I bought the phone was for the fingerprint sensor, to safeguard my password manager, bank account and Walmart Pay. Next phone, the FPS gets thoroughly banged on and if there's any problem, even slight, the phone goes back due to a faulty FPS design.)

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine works 98% of the time w/o any issues, had the same experience with Pie. My wife's hasn't changed either since the upgrade

YMMV

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
After I upgraded to Android 10, the fingerprint unlock feature stops working from time to time. The fix is to reboot the phone. The fingerprint still works on apps and if I go to fingerprint setup it still detects my fingerprints. At the same time it doesn't even recognize my finger swipe when I try to unlock th the phone. Thus it isn't the sensor. I deleted my fingerprints and re-saved them. No change. I don't see any action that is causing this. Any ideas? Anyone having this problem?

I haven't had this problem . I always use the fps to unlock phone.
As well for any apps that allow fps scan to be used instead of using password.

So you still have an issue ? If so, and that was my phone I would contact Google Support via,, settings>tips & support > and connect though chat or phone option

Ztid

Nov 19, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Yes...I have the exact same issue. Worked 100% of the time until upgraded to A10. Now it works only for a little while post reboot and then just stops...but all other functions that use the fingerprint will keep working. Luckily (/sarcasm) A10 also had made my phone reboot randomly 2-3 times a day so I luck out a little bit.

Question for you...what Launcher do you use? Ive been looking for a fix for this since the day I upgraded and cant find anything except maybe its related to a launcher. I currently use Nova.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes...I have the exact same issue. Worked 100% of the time until upgraded to A10. Now it works only for a little while post reboot and then just stops...but all other functions that use the fingerprint will keep working. Luckily (/sarcasm) A10 also had made my phone reboot randomly 2-3 times a day so I luck out a little bit.

Question for you...what Launcher do you use? Ive been looking for a fix for this since the day I upgraded and cant find anything except maybe its related to a launcher. I currently use Nova.

It isn't the norm but sometimes when you upgrade to a new os version it can bring fairly major problems along.....in those cases a factory reset will fix them and leave your phone running better than ever. In the end it can be a lot easier than living with the problem or fighting with fixes that don't work.

I always did a factory reset after an os upgrade up until my last 2 phones. My pixel's running Android 10 fine, but my last Moto phone could use a reset.... it has a couple annoying bugs from the os upgrade that should be fixed :O but I'm getting lazy ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781