I just received a notice that my Drive storage is almost full. I did a search about what was stored... one file of photos, and TONS of files of phone calls and text messages. Does one need to KEEP those phone call and text files, or can they be safely deleted, and not affect my phone useage?

Thanks!
    12-10-2019 04:15 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Are you talking about Google Drive?

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...community.html
    12-10-2019 04:24 PM
    I just received a notice that I was about to run out of my free storage. I looked at what was in there ... 1 file of photos, and TONS of files of phone calls and text messages. Is there a problem with deleting these files of phone calls and text messages? Or is it better to save them and purchase more storage?
    Thanks!
    12-10-2019 06:16 PM
    Duplicate threads merged. From what you're describing, I'm guessing you are talking about Google Drive. Are the tons of files of phone calls and text messages backup log files? Can you show us a screenshot of those files? http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html
    12-10-2019 06:33 PM
    Yes, it is Google Drive. I would assume that the files are backups ... each one has a long number underneath it. I'm sorry, I don't know how to do a screenshot on my computer ... I've not had an occasion to do it!
    12-10-2019 06:48 PM
    If they're not important to you, then you could delete them. Are you able to total up the space taken up by those files alone?
    12-10-2019 06:52 PM
    Google gives every Android user 14GB of free Drive cloud storage, unless they changed that policy. It sounds like you have Backup To Drive enabled in your phone and are creating phone backups often to your Drive storage. If so, deleting backups from Drive won't affect your current phone. You'll just delete old backups. Would you restore from an old backup or a recent one? Probably a recent one. So deleting the old ones should be OK. Your phone will function fine independent of Google Drive, it doesn't "need" Drive to operate, those are probably just lots of old backups taking up space.

But that's also weird, my backups only take up minimal space. And that's years of backups. How often are you manually selecting the Backup Now option?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-10-2019 06:57 PM
    Keep in mind that your Gmail storage also counts toward your Drive allotment. So if you have tons of saved emails in your Gmail account, that can all add up.
    Scott337 likes this.
    12-10-2019 07:01 PM
    I've only done Backup Now maybe 4 times in 2 years. Maybe I'll just cross my fingers and delete most of the files and see what happens.
    12-10-2019 09:18 PM
    Okay ... just reduced the calls files by about half. Now I just wait to see how much trouble I've put myself in!!
    12-10-2019 09:45 PM
    If you use WhatsApp, you should delete the unwanted files, pictures and videos. The backup is done daily to your drive
    12-11-2019 06:08 AM
    Okay ... just reduced the calls files by about half. Now I just wait to see how much trouble I've put myself in!!
    If you deleted things you need, you've lost them. But if you deleted things you don't need ... it's like taking the trash out. You don't "miss" the plate scrapings from last night, do you?
    12-11-2019 02:26 PM
    If you deleted things you need, you've lost them. But if you deleted things you don't need ... it's like taking the trash out. You don't "miss" the plate scrapings from last night, do you?
    I'm praying that it's just "plate scrapings" that I deleted ... I'm sure that I'll know soon enough!!

Thanks!
    12-11-2019 03:03 PM
    Did you happen to see how much Drive storage might be taken up by Gmail, as I previously suggested?/
    12-11-2019 03:14 PM
    I don't see ANY Gmail files (I use Gmail very little) ... just the one photos file, and lots of calls and sms files. I moved a whole bunch of the calls files into the Trash, but haven't been able to permanently delete them. In Trash I will right click on a file and be given the option to restore or permanently delete it. I click permanently delete and nothing happens. Rather frustrating! I think my predicament started when I had an app that backed up my calls and texts weekly. Was not needed, in my case, but sounded good at the time!
    12-13-2019 06:37 PM
    Update: Google Drive looks a little different on my 2 computers. I was trying to permanently delete files on one computer, and couldn't. On my other computer, I could! I have NO idea why. So now it looks like I can get rid of all of those backup files and get my free storage back and not have to buy more! Woo-Hoo!!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-13-2019 06:54 PM
    Glad you were able to figure it out! FYI, the storage that Gmail takes up isn't listed in Google Drive. You can see more details if you go to your Google account page (myaccount.google.com) and click Manage Storage.
    12-13-2019 08:31 PM