I'm Back, Dumped the Pixel 4 XL

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I loved my Pixel 2 XL, but bought a Pixel 4 XL because I like to get a new Pixel/Nexus every other year. I got the Pixel 4 XL on sale for Black Friday and used it for 2 weeks. The dang Face Unlock never worked consistently for me. Maybe because I wear glasses? I did all the suggested remedies, finally gave up and sent it back today.

The Pixel 2 XL is still an excellent phone, so why not continue to use it.

I'll be first in line for the Pixel 5 XL.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I just couldn't see enough of an improvement in the 4 to justify the cost for me personally. The P2 is still an excellent device and will easily get me thru to the Pixel 5 debut release. Still really enjoy using my P2. If the P5 looks lackluster then I'd consider the Moto Razr 2nd gen. If I'm going to spend a lot I'll get something new and exciting.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Wife on pixel 2 xl and I'm on 3 xl. Nothing there for us on the pixel 4 line.

Staying put until pixel 5 xl. If it does not interest me, probably going Note 11 :)

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Welcome back. For me, as long as P2XL is getting monthly updates. I am looking forward for next year for Microsoft Duo, Pixel 5 XL and unlocked version on Moto Razr 2

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I loved my Pixel 2 XL, but bought a Pixel 4 XL because I like to get a new Pixel/Nexus every other year. I got the Pixel 4 XL on sale for Black Friday and used it for 2 weeks. The dang Face Unlock never worked consistently for me. Maybe because I wear glasses? I did all the suggested remedies, finally gave up and sent it back today.

I don’t know about the 4 xl but I have an iPhone XR and the face unlock works flawlessly (I wear glasses). Perhaps it’s a software issue Google needs to work on.
Either way at least your happy again!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just couldn't see enough of an improvement in the 4 to justify the cost for me personally.

This is an opinion that I share. Phones these days just don't have that reason to upgrade every year. Even at 2 years it's getting more difficult to justify.

The only thing at 2 years that I can't counter is if the battery is not performing as well as it used to. Given that some batteries and repair shop bills can add up to about half a new device, sometimes it doesn't pay to fix it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
This is an opinion that I share. Phones these days just don't have that reason to upgrade every year. Even at 2 years it's getting more difficult to justify.

The only thing at 2 years that I can't counter is if the battery is not performing as well as it used to. Given that some batteries and repair shop bills can add up to about half a new device, sometimes it doesn't pay to fix it.

Yeah , agree about the battery. With my P2 just over the 2 year mark I’m hoping the battery will see me thru till next falls releases. I’ve never been a fan of breaking open factory sealed phones for battery replacements. It may be time to downgrade temporarily to my old iphone7 if the pixels battery gets to bad to see me thru.
Years ago when Nokia was releasing phones all year long with innovative new software and hardware it was fun to step up to the next device every 2 or 3 months. Those days of rapid innovation are long gone and for the past few years phones IMHO have kind of stagnated and gotten way more expensive to boot. The new Moto Razr is changing things up and I’d be real interested in seeing how the Razr 2 looks. Might be time for a big change that’s actually innovative.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
IMHO have kind of stagnated

You mention the Razr, and that's what it will take to get stagnation off the table. But, it will only last for so long. Until the hardware gets smaller, physically, will we have another round of innovation. The Cicret Bracelet might have been on to something there, just a little bit before it's time.

The new Moto Razr is changing things up

I've seen some stuff, but haven't followed it closely. In it's folded form, does the face have a screen too? If so, that is true innovation. Hopefully, they do the flexible screen better than Samsung.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
You mention the Razr, and that's what it will take to get stagnation off the table. But, it will only last for so long. Until the hardware gets smaller, physically, will we have another round of innovation. The Cicret Bracelet might have been on to something there, just a little bit before it's time.

I've seen some stuff, but haven't followed it closely. In it's folded form, does the face have a screen too? If so, that is true innovation. Hopefully, they do the flexible screen better than Samsung.

Tons of initial reviews on you tube, very preliminary info but a good first look. I would love to see hardware get smaller but remain in a phone I carry in my pocket not a wearable. Phones used to be small, now most want giant, bigger is better phones. That’s what attracts me to Razr, the small, when folded size. As for the screen the small folded up screen is for notifications, clock , not sure what else, but it does not mirror the larger unfolded screen. The Moto hinge is what is cool allowing the phone to fold flat and hopefully no crease line. Some of the vids show how the screen actually slides(very slightly)under the bottom chin, this prevents the crease when folded in combination with the innovative hinge design. Real world, long term usage will tell the screen tale. The Samsung fold creases immediately on first use or soon after.
The big attraction for me is to be able to easily pocket carry and not feel it so much. I’m not a big stare at my phone all day long power user but I do like to be able to do some light web browsing, searches, maps, emails and texts besides calls. I’m hoping one can respond to texts and emails from the front screen by voice. To many unknowns yet. Looking forward to hearing from some real world users after its avaiLable for sale.

Nikholas Pappas

May 14, 2019
Visit site
I lost my OnePlus 7 Pro while on a work trip and needed an unlocked Dual Sim phone ASAP. So I picked up the Google Pixel 4 XL and while I do like a few things, most notably how the phone feels in hand, the One Plus in my opinion was a better phone.

I notice occasional lag when opening apps on the Pixel that I never saw on the OnePlus. Along with inferior battery life, slower charging speed, and the super annoying lack of fingerprint reader without full support for the face ID. Day to day use of the phones, I much preferred the OnePlus.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! I too did not see enough of a justification to get the Pixel 4 over my Pixel 2 - so I got an S10. I too will wait for the Pixel 5.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with wearing different pairs of glasses? Does face unlock get confused?

superprime

Mar 18, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have experience with wearing different pairs of glasses? Does face unlock get confused?
No I haven't had that problem. I've been able to do it with glasses on or off, also with my sunglasses. Also, when I setup face unlock I had a thick beard, but after shaving, it was still fine. I'm pretty happy with it.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No I haven't had that problem. I've been able to do it with glasses on or off, also with my sunglasses. Also, when I setup face unlock I had a thick beard, but after shaving, it was still fine. I'm pretty happy with it.

That's a pretty intuitive Face Unlock! Sounds like it has different points of contact besides the eyes/facial hair/etc.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I loved my Pixel 2 XL, but

Ditto on the 2XL. I was just thinking the other day how smooth it runs and the FPS may be last weeks tech, but it is still quick and reliable and we've had Android 10 for some time now. My only gripe now is that not all my contacts have RCS enabled.

2 generations old but still ahead of most other devices.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ditto on the 2XL. I was just thinking the other day how smooth it runs and the FPS may be last weeks tech, but it is still quick and reliable and we've had Android 10 for some time now. My only gripe now is that not all my contacts have RCS enabled.

2 generations old but still ahead of most other devices.

I agree. The Google Pixel 2 line has phenomenal cameras and fingerprint scanners. I love my S10 but I miss my Pixel 2.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Never seriously considered the Pixel 4 or 4xl. Not a fan of the overall design and I really like having the fingerprint sensor. Went with the Pixel 3 when it was time to upgrade from the 2xl. It's been quite nice having a phone that's basically a better Pixel 2 which was one of my favorite phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Never seriously considered the Pixel 4 or 4xl. Not a fan of the overall design and I really like having the fingerprint sensor. Went with the Pixel 3 when it was time to upgrade from the 2xl. It's been quite nice having a phone that's basically a better Pixel 2 which was one of my favorite phones.

What a great way to coin the Pixel 3 - a better Pixel 2. The 3 tempted me way more than the 4 ever did.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
What a great way to coin the Pixel 3 - a better Pixel 2. The 3 tempted me way more than the 4 ever did.
Yep, agree with both. Got pixel 3 xl MINT just about a month ago now and glad I did. Dirt cheap and pixel 4 XL never did it got me. Had pixel 2 XL Panda that I handed over to my wife. She loves it. Will see what Pixel 5 XL brings and upgrade both of us to that if there is enough camera improvements by then. Otherwise, riding pixel 3 xl all the way to pixel 6 LOL. Google unlimited storage is active on this phone until Feb 2022, might as well just ride with it until then hehehe.

Last edited: