Defective Google Play Services Update

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
My camera stopped working in September, no resolution from Google support. This week, while poking around the phone settings, I noticed a flag for Google Play Services under the Security menu. My Pixel 2XL is running the September update for Google Play Services (December patch for Android 10). I went through the update process. After reboot, my handset shows October patch for Google Play Services. Within 80 seconds the handset reboots spontaneously, afterward Google Play Services is back to the September patch. Contacted Pixel support. Repeated process while screen sharing with Google tech three times. Tech stated that it's a glitch, escalated service ticket, and suggested a factory reset. I did the reset. Still can't update Google Play Services and the home screen menu has reverted to the three button layout (Back/Home/App Switcher). Very strange, waiting to hear back from Google.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Good idea. I've sent Google the bug reports they requested. Supposedly, they will get back to me with what they find. I'm calling a truce until after the New Year. Then I'll tinker with the handset or move onto something else . . .

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Google did get back to me a few weeks after submitting the bug reports. Their answer was that my handset was "performing within expected parameters" no further action needed.

Checked this again today and saw a Google Play Services update for January 2020 (previous attempt was to install September 2019 patch). Installed it, and everything works. Prior to this, Amazon, YouTube, and Google Translate wouldn't load. Now the apps are all fine. (BTW camera was working after I had hardware replaced and before I updated Play services). My Pixel 2 XL is doing great right now. I can see getting another year out of it easily.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great, thanks for the followup! Too bad it took a while, but at least it got fixed eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37