How do I reset system update?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the constant circling of the preparing message. Once the system detected the phone was in use and paused the update it then continued on when I told it to resume.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Whoa, that don't look good.:-\ Does that weird loop persist after a reboot?

G Hardy

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Whoa, that don't look good.:-\ Does that weird loop persist after a reboot?
Thank you for replying :)
Yep. Only been happening for a week or so. The only reason I discovered it is because my battery life went overnight from 2½-3½ days down to between 5-6 hours, even when I'm not using the phone. (It's why you see a power monitoring app in the video.) It gets warm in my pocket, which suggests an app is draining the battery. I became a developer, disabled auto system update, rebooted the phone and the battery life was restored.

I think there must be a cache somewhere that I need to clear to fix it, but I don't think the system cache reset is available in the boot options on this handset.

G Hardy

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
I had the constant circling of the preparing message. Once the system detected the phone was in use and paused the update it then continued on when I told it to resume.

I've had that before, but this is different. The video isn't speeded up, that's what it's actually doing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, there's no system cache partition to wipe, since the Pixels use the dual A/B partitions. You might try clearing the app cache for Google Play Services first, and possibly Google Services Framework.

I'm looking through the system apps, and you might also try clearing the cache for Dynamic System Updates (not exactly sure what that's for, to be honest).

G Hardy

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
[Solved] Re: How do I reset system update?

Unfortunately, there's no system cache partition to wipe, since the Pixels use the dual A/B partitions. You might try clearing the app cache for Google Play Services first, and possibly Google Services Framework.

I'm looking through the system apps, and you might also try clearing the cache for Dynamic System Updates (not exactly sure what that's for, to be honest).

Yup, definitely different from what mine was doing.

Do you have a computer handy? You could always use the ADB option to update. The instructions and files are all on this page - https://developers.google.com/android/ota

Thanks both of you, you both fixed it. B Diddy your advice got it to a point where it was stuck in the loop hallux described, but periodically flashed up on screen for a split second that there were no updates available. Then I went for the ADB option and that updated it to January's image. So it's now back to normal and not killing the battery.

Thank you for your help :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12