Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

So I have the March update. Google Pay does indeed come up as an option when you press the power button. In my case it shows my most used credit card.

HOWEVER, when I used it today the phone was locked. And it allowed me to pay without using my PW or my fingerprint. That is not a good thing. Can anyone reproduce this? If this is the case, I can't find a security setting to ensure my credentials are entered before using GPay.
    03-04-2020 12:11 PM
    I'll have to try it next time I need to use it but mine DOES indicate at the top of the screen that I need to unlock to use it.
    03-04-2020 01:26 PM
    I just used it again. I can confirm that when the phone is locked I can use Google Pay without unlocking the phone.

I'll have to try it next time I need to use it but mine DOES indicate at the top of the screen that I need to unlock to use it.
    03-04-2020 07:54 PM
    I found the setting to turn off the feature. I've done so until there is an update that makes it more secure. Unless I'm missing something . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Google Pay from power button - security risk?-140354.jpg  
    03-04-2020 08:01 PM
    For me I can use Google pay without unlocking for $50 or less. If it's more then I need to unlock the phone with face unlock.

If I use the cards/passes feature with the power button, I need to unlock the phone with my face to change my credit card payment.
    03-04-2020 11:40 PM
    Thanks for responding. Both of my purchases were less than $50. I still prefer unlock for any purchase however.

For me I can use Google pay without unlocking for $50 or less. If it's more then I need to unlock the phone with face unlock.

If I use the cards/passes feature with the power button, I need to unlock the phone with my face to change my credit card payment.
    03-05-2020 07:42 AM
    Thanks for the tip
    I turned it off for now
    03-09-2020 08:19 AM
    Thanks for responding. Both of my purchases were less than $50. I still prefer unlock for any purchase however.
    We just had several fraudulent purchases made on one of our cards ... Visa Card Services called and asked if we had the card in our possession (Yes), if anyone else was allowed to use the card (No), and if we used the card on our phones or watches (No). I would think that using a card on a phone or watch would not really be safe, ESPECIALLY if you don't have to use a password. Just the thought makes me nervous!!
    03-10-2020 10:41 PM
    I turned off mine too, lose or get the phone stolen and easy way to get fraudulent charges through this method.

Thank you for alerting us of this.
    05-10-2020 02:59 AM
    Despite the claimed experience of others, I've never been able to use my Google Pay without unlocking my device.
    me just saying likes this.
    05-10-2020 07:06 AM
    Despite the claimed experience of others, I've never been able to use my Google Pay without unlocking my device.
    Been hit or miss but most of the time it would go through for me. No good if you value security.
    05-10-2020 09:03 AM
    So I have the March update. Google Pay does indeed come up as an option when you press the power button. In my case it shows my most used credit card.

HOWEVER, when I used it today the phone was locked. And it allowed me to pay without using my PW or my fingerprint. That is not a good thing. Can anyone reproduce this? If this is the case, I can't find a security setting to ensure my credentials are entered before using GPay.
    This definitely isn't normal behavior. My Pixel 2 tells me "Unlock your phone to load your payment info".
    06-03-2020 08:06 PM
    Never had this issue with Pixel 2, 2xl or 3 and I've been paying extra attention to see if it happens with Pixel 3 over last 2+ weeks. Always requires unlocking at Target, Rite Aid , CVS, etc.
    06-13-2020 11:41 PM
    To lock google pay when phone is locked, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Lock Screen, change to "Show sensitive content only when unlocked".

For more information, check https://support.google.com/pay/answer/9686224?hl=en
    07-03-2020 04:41 AM
    To lock google pay when phone is locked, go to Settings -> Privacy -> Lock Screen, change to "Show sensitive content only when unlocked".
    Except mine is set to show all content and I can't use Google pay when the phone is locked. Can I still see the cards? Yes, but there's not a whole lot that can be gleaned from that info as the numbers shown on the virtual cards on the screen are virtual numbers that were generated when the card was added to Google Pay.
    07-05-2020 02:59 PM