Pixel 2 and 2017 Nexus phones Spec Leaks

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Pixel 2, XL, XXL (HTC)

This is what I expect of Google "Taimen" this November!

Most realistic specs they must reach to compete against iPhone 8 & Note 8 top hardware this fall.

With 70 Million iPhone 8 using Samsung Infinite 3K OLED displays Google has got there hands on New LG 6th generation OLED Mobile displays in an $880 Million dollar deal.

I would expect 6 gen LG OLED to be 4K since they are the kings of 4K OLED displays for UHDTV's.

Pixel in 2016 used Snapdragon 821 (MSM8996 Pro) last year! So I would expect the same for Pixel 2 in 2017 to use the upcoming Snapdragon 836 (MSM8998 Pro)

As with Samsung Note 8 using Snapdragon 836 & 6GB of RAM I also expect Pixel 2 to have 6GB of RAM.

Pixel 2 must have better specs then what Samsung Galaxy S8 had 8 months before it!

My opinion.

I wouldn't expect any of that except maybe the Snapdragon 836.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea, but LG loves to oversharpen their camera images.

I'm sure the LG OLED TVs are fine, but those aren't smartphone displays and LG has used cold display temperatures for their smartphone displays. It's not like LG had to use the cold display temps because of LCD technology limitations.

That's fine for LG phones. But this rumored Nexus/Pixel is not an LG phone. It's a Google phone. LG oversharpening images is irrelevant.

I think we can all safely assume the upcoming Nexus or Pixel made by LG will use an AMOLED display (Daydream, the LG Display deal with Google). Google will be involved in tuning. And you can't name an LG smartphone with an LG AMOLED display and LG has tuned cold.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Size of the Big Phone

The LG one is 5.99" 2:1 display, so it'd be roughly 2.68" wide and 5.36" tall (the display part only).
This would put it at the just shorter than the width as a 5.5" 16:9 display (Pixel XL is 2.70" wide) and the height would be about the same as a 6.15" 16:9 device, which would be slightly longer than the Nexus 6 was. So width of the Pixel XL, height a little bigger than the Nexus 6.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Uploading a photo of the display compared to the last 3 Google big devices and the S8+ for context. These are displays only:

taimen size.jpg

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have four concerns with the LG-made Nexus version.
  1. The device will be poor quality like most LG phones
  2. The camera will oversharpen images like LG cameras
  3. The display will not be flat like I want
  4. The display will have a gross cold temperature like other LG displays

First one will always be a concern until LG can prove that they've moved past the motherboard issues that have plagued several of their recent phones. It's too early to tell with the G6 if they've righted that ship.

Final three points... LG has no say over the camera software or processing, the topology of the display nor its calibration. They will assist Google, of course, but it's Big G's call.

Like someone said, the LG made Nexus 5X didn't have any sharpening issues, not in the slightest. (oh, it did have that pesky boot loop issue though)

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
And several more devices with details of display area:

View attachment 262658

in the picture you show she Taimen as being wider than the S8+, but in this chart it shows the Width of the Taimen and Nexus 6 as being smaller than the S8+?

or is that "width" not really a width? i just want a wider phone, S8+ is too narrow. I need the original Nexus 6 or a LG V20 sized phone

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
in the picture you show she Taimen as being wider than the S8+, but in this chart it shows the Width of the Taimen and Nexus 6 as being smaller than the S8+?

or is that "width" not really a width? i just want a wider phone, S8+ is too narrow. I need the original Nexus 6 or a LG V20 sized phone

So the columns are transposed, the smaller number is width and the larger number is height on phones. When I originally created the sheet I use to calculate everything, it was using computer monitors in landscape.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's fine for LG phones. But this rumored Nexus/Pixel is not an LG phone. It's a Google phone. LG oversharpening images is irrelevant.

I think we can all safely assume the upcoming Nexus or Pixel made by LG will use an AMOLED display (Daydream, the LG Display deal with Google). Google will be involved in tuning. And you can't name an LG smartphone with an LG AMOLED display and LG has tuned cold.

We'll see, I guess. I hope you're right.

Size of the Big Phone

The LG one is 5.99" 2:1 display, so it'd be roughly 2.68" wide and 5.36" tall (the display part only).
This would put it at the just shorter than the width as a 5.5" 16:9 display (Pixel XL is 2.70" wide) and the height would be about the same as a 6.15" 16:9 device, which would be slightly longer than the Nexus 6 was. So width of the Pixel XL, height a little bigger than the Nexus 6.

That's a massive phone.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If true, the Taimen screen is not as bad as I thought it would be. Still prefer the width of the Nexus 6 but not bad. S8+ is so tall and skinny lol.

That's one of its better qualities. That allows it to fit well in the hand and pocket. Plus it prevents the lame on-screen navigation bar from taking up a large portion of the screen.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That's one of its better qualities. That allows it to fit well in the hand and pocket. Plus it prevents the lame on-screen navigation bar from taking up a large portion of the screen.

Still prefer a wider screen. I have no issues with the N6 size and my hands aren't even that big. Lol

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
And several more devices with details of display area:
As I said before, expect the Taimen's display to resemble the 6P's and not the Nexus 6's. Just look at the final Area column: the Taimen is closer to the 6p than it is to either the S8+ or N6. The sad fact, though, is that the S8+ display, despite its 15.12 Area, still looks small compared to the N6, and it's all due to the difference in width (well, Height on the table).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, no chance the majority of stuff on that list will happen.

0% chance it'll have a micro SD card slot and 4k screen is madness - it won't happen.

Don't know what OP is going on about how it 'needs' those specs to compete with the iPhone. Even with those specs it won't hold a candle to the iPhone 8 sales. I don't think specs will really win over customers. The iPhone is by far the most popular high end smartphone and it doesn't win on specs compared to Android phones, yet consumers are more than happy to purchase and continue to purchase iPhones.

I think Google should focus on things they can do that no other company can - their strength in AI and the Google assistant, unlimited Google photo storage when using the Pixel, it's awesome camera and possible machine learning abilities like removing objects blocking images etc. Saying 'hey guys we have 6gb ram' no one is going to care except for forum dwellers. But if they show hey, you took a photo through a chain link fence? Our phone can remove that fence from the image for you, instantly without you having to do anything.

They should pay to their strength, not some artificial spec race which will get them nowhere.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Just read it's going to be an edge-to-edge display also.

If there is a 5.5 variant, I will more than likely ditch this wonderful 6P I own for one. Dual camera is a must also so we look good there.

Norgoth

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

They ruled out a 5.5 variant. The large one will have edge to edge. The small one will continue with the large bezels, which is a disappointment to me. I am hoping the rumors are false. I am one of those people that like a new phone every 6onths, but if the new Pixel is the same as my present Pixel phone, I will be psychologically unable to continue with Pixel. Which is unfortunate because I really like this Pixel.

odin09

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

If the smaller Pixel 2 has the bezels I may just look for a used Pixel on ebay. If that is the case the only thing that could draw me in would be an actual all day battery.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

It just feels like there are too many things on that list that don't seem right.

The first is a MicroSD card slot. The Nexus 5, 5x, 6p, Pixel & Pixel XL don't have one so would be weird to see Google add one in.

The 4K display, has a tiny chance of happening. I'm sure they will stick to 1440p. Just requires so much processing power for almost no again. 😃

6GB RAM also seems quite high for Google.