Pixel 2, 3 or 3a while waiting for 4a

tori729

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
So my Pixel 3 suffered a tragic ending due to a combination of heating/charging issues I presume and is unusable.
I'm currently using a borrowed Moto G horrible Play on Android 6. Was planning on using it until the 4a came out but now it looks like that won't be for a few more months which puts me back at square one b/c I don't think I can deal with this phone for that long. What do I buy?

I was happy with the Pixel 3 overall but since we are a few months from a 4a which I'm very interested in for the larger battery, processor, fingerprint scanner (as opposed to the 4), smaller bezels, and headphone jack.

So my issue is: Should I just buy a cheap 2 to get by, a 3 again for longer term, or a 3a for in between?

Right now, my needs are: Better camera b/c I regularly sell online and need to be able to take good pictures. My hubby's Pixel 1 does fine w/ this so I know any Pixel I get would be sufficient. Faster processor/storage b/c I always have many apps installed and need it to be relatively fast. Fingerprint scanner
Wants are: headphone jack, possibly AR compatibility for a game my kids like to play, NFC for Google Pay

I don't care too much about water resistance and will not be using wireless charging. Battery life with the 3 was fine, I could usually go all day on one charge.

If I end up buying the 4a, I don't really care about long term Photos storage or OS updates

I'm leaning towards a 2, but that's one I skipped so I don't know how it compares to the 1 and 3.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm so sorry your Pixel met such a tragic end! To lose any phone is depressing, but to lose a Pixel? That is the Achilles heel of phones to lose, IMO.

As agonizing as it might be, maybe hold on to your Moto and wait for the 4a. That way, you won't have to invest in a temporary phone. In the meantime, is there another phone you could borrow?

And I totally agree with you. I LOVE that the Pixel 4a will have a fingerprint scanner!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nothing is concrete on the 4a right now. If you can wait, I'd wait until the 4a is announced to make a decision.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd probably get the 2 if you really need a phone right now. You can get it pretty cheap and it's more than good enough to get you through the next few months. Still have mine and it's great as a media device and backup phone.

zachthebomb13

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been thinking something similar. I'm on the OnePlus 6t from T-Mobile, but itching for a pixel. I was going to get a 4a, but was thinking about getting a pixel 3xl. On swappa I can get it for $250. Only concern I have is the 4 GB ram. Should I wait for the 4a, or get the 3?

wolfpack219

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
Using a Pixel 3XL currently and there is no issue with the 4GB RAM. The OS manages it well and allows many many apps to be open at the same time. I usually close ones I'm not using though anyhow. I have also been playing a lot of games like PUBG and COD which is a RAM hog with no issues using Game Booster software from the Play Store.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One reason to consider a Pixel 3 right now is that you'll still get unlimited Original Quality Google Photos backups until Jan 2022. (That ends for the Pixel 2 in January 2021, and of course is not an option with the 3a.)

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
Purchased a Pixel 3a during the Memorial day sale at Best Buy (Google Store also had the same price), $279. Did not have a desire to wait for the 4a - some stepped up specs from the 3a, but not a huge difference for my use.

The phone is great. First time having a finger print reader - it is fast, and select apps use this feature - no more entering passwords. Using Nova Prime launcher - mimics my Android tablet also running Nova. Thinking about getting some Moment lenses.