Pixel 3 owners: what's your next phone?

repairadam

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
An iPhone! I just read that Gmail is turning into a G Suite app. What about ppl who do not use G Suite? So sick of Google shoving all their crap down my throat. I originally went to android because it gave me options and let me choose what I wanted on my phone. Now Google dictates what they want us to use, no choice. Let me decide what to install on my device Google, listen to the consumers. Do not change the Gmail app into a G Suite machine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An iPhone! I just read that Gmail is turning into a G Suite app. What about ppl who do not use G Suite? So sick of Google shoving all their crap down my throat. I originally went to android because it gave me options and let me choose what I wanted on my phone. Now Google dictates what they want us to use, no choice. Let me decide what to install on my device Google, listen to the consumers. Do not change the Gmail app into a G Suite machine.

Welcome to Android Central! I think you're misinterpreting that news. Google is integrating Chat, Meet, and Rooms into the Gmail app for G Suite customers. It doesn't mean that non-business users will have to use this. At some point, Google will likely push some of these integrations into the Gmail app for non-business users as well, but not all -- I think only Meet is currently available to non-business users. But you don't have to use the Gmail app if you don't want that integration -- there are plenty of other email client apps you can install.

If this is what drives you to iPhone, then knock yourself out. But just wanted to make sure you understood what's actually happening.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/15/...-g-suite-chat-rooms-meet-integration-redesign

Robert Crockett

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
I held on to my Pixel 2 XL until a couple months ago. Prior Pixel and Nexus owner. After accidental water damage I needed to make a purchase quick and jumped to the One Plus 8 pro. I love the google line of products but some of the design language has seemed stale the last few phones. I hope the 5 is the phone that recharges the line. The One Plus has so far been extraordinary. Everything I loved about my Google phones and just a smidgen more.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone for work. I can't stand it. Granted it is an older model but it seems so less intuitive compared to the Pixel.

Mjfsobb

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
I will probably hold onto my 3 XL for another year. For me, one of the main issues is keeping the unlimited Original Quality backups in Google Photos.

When the time comes, I will most likely get the latest Pixel, and probably start a Google One plan for more storage.

I agree. 3a xl is just fine for now. No hiccups, great photos. I'll wait for Pixel 5

Edwin M

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
I have a 3a XL which has served me well and is in mint condition. I originally had plans on getting a pixel 5 XL. But if there is no XL model I might just wait for the next one. When I want something compact I just use my Galaxy Watch(wish Google would hurry up with a Pixel watch too). But I prefer a bigger screen phone wise. Depends on how slim they made the bezels as well. At this point I'll probably just be ok with waiting until next year for pixel 6 in the event there truly is no Pixel 5XL.

oakraidr

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
My 3xl is overheating when I am out in the heat of the day. I'm ready to buy. I want the 4a or OnePlus 7. Only 1 is available now and I don't think I can wait much longer.

Pkmax007

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
I still use a Pixel 2 and it is still a great phone. My next phone will be a Pixel 5/5XL unless a Pixel 6 is available when my 2 no longer gets updated.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
With much luck, I have a couple of years with my Pixel 3. I'm hoping Google can keep my interest with this Pixel line. OnePlus has been catching eye lately, if OnePlus adapts to what Apple is doing with producing a compact high end smartphone. I won't be able to say no to that!

Pravu

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
Considering the fact that Google doesn't launch flagships in India anymore, I will most probably switch out of pixel. I have been using Google devices from Nexus times, but it is a disappointment for me that we do not get the flagship and other accessories like the Pixel buds, etc.. Very disappointed with Google after the pixel 4 launch.

Jason Saylor

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
Pixel 3a XL currently, Pixel 4a 5G asap . The A series is the Biggest bang for the buck in the industry. And don't even get me started on the camera. The wife compares her iPhone camera to same condition/subject shots and calls her iPhone a Fisher Price toy for beginners. Pixel for life

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 6xl or Surface Duo
Yes, that one I was looking at as well... The Microsoft surface Duo tablet/phone running Android platform... One of the Pixel 5 XL 5G. My next phone whenever I buy my next phone, I wanted to be 5G, and possibly folding not sure about the folding. However I do want 5G infrastructure speeds. The problem is millimeter wavelength 5G isn't near ready for the masses yet. And LTE is where it's at for everyone for mobile data speeds. I mean I know I'm just repeating what everyone else knows but it's a truth. My Pixel 3 XL on Android 11 beta 2 does everything I needed to do. however for a few years into the future, that's when millimeter wavelength 5G will start to change and shape things. In that regard, I would want folding phones for more enjoyable YouTube/media playback experience on my phone etc etc

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've historically used many phones and I've been enjoying my pixel 4XL from launch and I'm over the whole new phone phase....I love pixels because they just work well. I've had no issues from the 4XL, and I can say I do a lot on my phones, probably more than most and it's been great. Tired of falling for the "oh this new phone processor is 10% faster, etc". It's like a new car that adds more horse power yet the new model is heavier thus it's actually slower in real world use. All smoke and mirrors, plan on keeping the 4XL for a while & will see how things are when/if Google actually steps up to make their own processor separate from Qualcomm!

I like your "smoke and mirrors" analogy. There will always be something "better" out there, but then how do you measure "better"? And is it even worth it if that "better" is just one small part of the entire package? Is it worth the heightened price, etc?

As consumers, only we can be the judge of that, but it still, to me anyway, makes me feel like I don't want to shell out a ton of cash for something that's not very different than what I'm currently using. That's why I often switch manufacturers when I upgrade so at the very least, I'm paying for a new and different experience.

Also, like you wrote above: Pixel works well. I found that too with my Pixel 2. No issues. It's a reliable manufacturer.

Phoenix Wilson

Jul 16, 2020
Visit site
Depends. Currently using a pixel 2 and very happy with its performance. The only 2 things I miss are wireless charging and a wide angle camera. If none of them have a wide angle camera and all have wireless charging then getting a pixel 4a. Else getting pixel 5 if it's the only one with wireless charging and/or wide angle camera. Either way I am getting a new pixel as Android 11 will be the last software update for my phone.

Last edited: