09-27-2020 10:55 PM
184 ... 678
tools
    After a chat with they guy at my local Costco's wireless section yesterday, I'm no longer debating whether to upgrade from my 3 XL. Only questioning to which phone I should go. Aside from the fact that my battery is degraded to only 35% of its original capacity in 20 months (it now lives on a charger when I'm at work, in the car, and at home overnight), he pulled up a speed test on his S20 5G and clocked nearly 200Mbps, a pretty impressive improvement over my 3 XL's best local performance of 55.2Mbps (and average of 20-25Mbps (both phones running same test on T-Mobile).

Seems like, at least for T-Mobile users, it will be important to get a phone that supports "standalone" 5G. Will have to figure out which (hopefully some) Pixels/Samsungs support that, along with 600/mid-band/mm-wave (though I don't anticipate my market seeing any of the latter that would be impactful before I replace this next phone).
    09-24-2020 10:11 AM
    I'm on Verizon. They want to "upgrade" my plan to one with 5G every time I'm window shopping handsets. Where I live, that would be like them just stealing my money at this point.
    09-24-2020 01:00 PM
    I'm now leaning more toward the Galaxy S20 FE than the Note 20. It seems very Note-like, just without an S Pen. I'll do a side by side comparison once the FE is officially unveiled.
    Talking to myself. Certainly a sign of madness.

I keep going back anf forth between the S20 FE and Pixel 5 now. I could get an S20+ for an additional $300 off (plus my 3 XL trade in and 100 device dollars). That would bring it down to around $650, but even though it's a much more expensive phone, the $90 difference in what It would cost me for the S20 FE isn't worth it as I look at the specs of the phones (and consider things like size and that the FE has a flat screen). The Note 20 5G I'd been considering is way off the table with the difference in price now, too.

At least while the Verizon variant of the S20 FE is on sale for $699 (goes up to $750), it appears the FE and Pixel 5 will be the same price for me.

I like the idea of trying something new (though I have used the S7 Edge in the past...and how I know I don't want a curved screen).

I don't like the idea of missing the software experience on the Pixels. Primarily the immediate OS updates and the ability to participate in betas (Verizon users can't participate in Samsung betas).

Does Samsung's One UI change the appearance of Google dark mode? I use dark mode 24/7 on any app that has it, and have "override force dark" set in Developer options for apps that don't. I assume all that is still possible on a Samsung. It appears a lot of stuff is actually black and not dark in the One UI (that's a good thing...I just don't want things I have dark now to be white).

Am I going to miss a physical fingerprint reader for the in-screen Samsung option?
    09-25-2020 08:18 AM
    At least while the Verizon variant of the S20 FE is on sale for $699 (goes up to $750), it appears the FE and Pixel 5 will be the same price for me.
    Strange that the Verizon version retails for $50 more than the unlocked... Is it actually somehow different other than perhaps having some pre-installed VZ apps? If not, it's worth noting that Amazon and BB are both currently taking orders for the S20 FE unlocked version for $599.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking at the S20FE, Pixel 5..... and the Pixel 4A5G.
    09-25-2020 03:40 PM
    Strange that the Verizon version retails for $50 more than the unlocked... Is it actually somehow different other than perhaps having some pre-installed VZ apps? If not, it's worth noting that Amazon and BB are both currently taking orders for the S20 FE unlocked version for $599.

I'm in the same boat as you, looking at the S20FE, Pixel 5..... and the Pixel 4A5G.
    I think it is some rip off $50 activation fee. I never buy anything from Verizon anymore, always unlocked direct
    09-25-2020 03:51 PM
    Strange that the Verizon version retails for $50 more than the unlocked... Is it actually somehow different other than perhaps having some pre-installed VZ apps?
    It's because they have their own flavor of 5G. Their version of the original S20 was/is more than the other versions (unlocked and other carriers), as well. At least the S20 FE is rolling out at the same time. Their S20 was later then the others.
    09-25-2020 05:01 PM
    The physical fingerprint reader has been excellent on my Pixel 3. I also have the Note 10+ and it is intermittently reliable for me.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-26-2020 09:58 AM
    I think it is some rip off $50 activation fee. I never buy anything from Verizon anymore, always unlocked direct
    It's $50 more even without activation, direct from Samsung.

It's because they have their own flavor of 5G. Their version of the original S20 was/is more than the other versions (unlocked and other carriers), as well. At least the S20 FE is rolling out at the same time. Their S20 was later then the others.
    Good catch - I didn't realize it supports millimeter wave. Justifiable cost increase, though few Verizon users would actually benefit from it anytime in the near future.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    09-26-2020 09:24 PM
    Well, I just ordered the S20 FE from Verizon today. Looks like that's my next phone.
    bkdodger2 and gendo667 like this.
    09-27-2020 10:55 PM
184 ... 678