Notification bar comes down when on a call?

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a 3xl problem that I have been annoyingly dealing with for a long time where when on call after pulling the phone away from my ear the notification bar will be pulled all the way down and I have to swipe it up to end the call etc. Before I re arranged items off the bar I used to inadvertently disable my BT or enable airplane mode etc. whatever my ear would randomly touch. Anyone else seeing this behavior? I am all up to date. Stock launcher.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't replicate it in safe mode. Re booted and now I can't get it to happen in normal mode LOL. It does happen more often than not. I'll try again and report back. I did want to mention that when on the phone and it's against my head the screen does go dark and light back up when moved away from my head. It's just that it seems more often than not when I move the phone away from my ear often the app draw is down. I'll pay more attention as to what I exactly do when it happens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Couldn't replicate it in safe mode. Re booted and now I can't get it to happen in normal mode LOL. It does happen more often than not. I'll try again and report back. I did want to mention that when on the phone and it's against my head the screen does go dark and light back up when moved away from my head. It's just that it seems more often than not when I move the phone away from my ear often the app draw is down. I'll pay more attention as to what I exactly do when it happens.
Ok no problem
Also make sure no case or screen protector causing issues with proximity sensor

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a screen protector but I do have a very thin Spigen case. Where is the proximity sensor in question?

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Never mind. i see it's at the top by speaker. so to test i made a call and would bring my finger close to at and screen goes black. move finger away and screen lights up. I can do this back and forth multiple times and the screen reacts accordingly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Never mind. i see it's at the top by speaker. so to test i made a call and would bring my finger close to at and screen goes black. move finger away and screen lights up. I can do this back and forth multiple times and the screen reacts accordingly.
Ok so seems to be working

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
It just seems odd because it requires a pull down motion from the top to get the notification / quick settings to show. and its these quick settings that get toggled sometimes by my ear touching them.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It just seems odd because it requires a pull down motion from the top to get the notification / quick settings to show. and its these quick settings that get toggled sometimes by my ear touching them.
Somehow something happened

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is at least a small possibility that the particular motion you use when bringing the phone to your ear causes a downward swipe an instant before activating the proximity sensor and disabling the screen.

Let's say that the tip of your ear brushes against the corner of the screen before the center of the screen gets close enough to trigger the sensor.

Just a thought. :)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If you accidentally touched the fingerprint sensor, it can pull down notification bar as well if your finger slides down on the sensor.

ccps

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm aware of the gesture on the fingerprint sensor and I can say with absolute certainty that I'm not accidentally touching the sensor. As to the tip of my ear that is a possibility since it's my ear that is touching the phone at the ear speaker area when it happens. But shouldn't I be able o have my phone to my ear when on call?

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site

I have noticed a similar behavior which might be related. Right after exiting certain apps, when I touch any part of the screen (not even pulling down), the notification shade also comes down. It doesn't happen often, so I don't really think much of it.

I'm thinking might be some moisture somewhere on the screen? Might be affecting the screen input somehow.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm aware of the gesture on the fingerprint sensor and I can say with absolute certainty that I'm not accidentally touching the sensor. As to the tip of my ear that is a possibility since it's my ear that is touching the phone at the ear speaker area when it happens. But shouldn't I be able o have my phone to my ear when on call?

Start a telephone call, preferably to someone you know that you won't have to waste time actually speaking to. Call your wife's phone, or maybe a time service like this one https://www.aarp.org/work/on-the-jo...rvatory's time,by the U.S. Naval Observatory.

Anyway, once the phone initiates dialing, sit it down on the table and hover your finger over the proximity sensor (near the speaker) to determine it's range and, in particular, it's side-to-side sensitivity.

I find that on my 4XL I can easily drag down the notification bar from near the left side of the screen without triggering the proximity sensor. This approximates the motion I first suggested, your ear tip contacting the edge of the screen before the proximity sensor is close enough to be triggered.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan