Many restaurants are not giving out menus any longer and ask you to point your camera to a QR so you can see the menu. Everyone else with other Android phones simply turns on their camera and the page pops up. When I do that, absolutely nothing happens on my 3 XL.

I did go into the camera settings and turn on Google lens, which made no difference. I checked all the other Google settings and couldn't find anything that could be stopping this. Does anyone have a pixel 3 that works as it should it have an idea what I need to do?
    08-27-2020 09:10 PM
    I have a 3 XL, and if I point the camera at a QR code, the link will show up after about a second.

Go to the Camera settings -- is Google Lens Suggestions turned on? (Not sure if that's what you meant when you said you turned on Google Lens.)
    08-27-2020 09:12 PM
    Yes, it is turned on.
    08-27-2020 10:52 PM
    See if it works in Safe Mode: https://support.google.com/pixelphon.../2852139?hl=en

Also, if you use the actual Google Lens function of the Camera app and take a picture of the QR, does it give you a link?
    08-27-2020 11:46 PM
    It doesn't work in safe mode. It does work using the Lens function when the camera app is on. Would still like to just point it like everyone else I know does.
    08-28-2020 09:51 PM
    Your system is up to date, right? Also make sure your Google Play Security Update is current (which is different from the system update -- go to Settings>Security and tap Google Play Security Update to see if there's anything for you there).

Also make sure Android System Webview is fully up to date -- search for it in the Play Store and see if there's an Update button showing.
    08-28-2020 11:38 PM
    Thanks for trying to help. All of those things are up to date. Just done quirk of my device I guess.
    09-03-2020 09:48 PM
    You may need to download a specific QR code scanning app. There are some available in the Play store
    09-03-2020 09:50 PM
    Try joining the beta version of the Google app. Go to the Google app's page in the Play Store and scroll down to the Join Beta option.
    09-03-2020 10:50 PM
    Well, I just checked mine, too. Does not work and Google Lens is enabled in the Camera Settings. A third party app does work. Just focusing does nothing, nor does taking a picture of the code.

All is up to date.

And Safe Mode killed by Blackberry Keyboard app the other day so I won't try that again unless a very important reason pops up. QR code is NOT important enough since the 3rd party app works.
    09-04-2020 11:05 AM
    Hmm. Do either of you have another browser besides Chrome installed? If so, and if it's set as the default browser, I wonder if that could be interfering. This is just speculation, but when I use the Camera app as a QR scanner, the link that appears always has a Chrome icon next to it, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    09-04-2020 12:11 PM
    I only have the Chrome browser that came with the phone. Went to a restaurant a few days ago with my girlfriend who has a Nokia 7 something and hers doesn't work either, but my son who has a Galaxy S9 just points the camera to the QR at the restaurant and the menu link pops up immediately. It appears this is widespread.
    09-05-2020 12:10 AM
    The native QR scanning feature isn't available on all stock camera apps. This article says that it's currently only on Pixels, Samsung, and some Android One phones: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/0...es-on-android/

If this is important enough for you, then it might be worth trying a factory reset.
    09-05-2020 01:39 AM
    I'll just deal with a third party app. I do have Firefix but Davidoo only has chrome apparently and that is not the deciding factor. But these quirks do tend to make one nuts or MORE nuts! (g)
    09-05-2020 12:52 PM
    Downloading Android 11 now. Maybe this will make it work better.
    09-08-2020 04:26 PM