, Dedicated microphone key

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever explored the possibility with SWIFTKEY of adding a dedicated microphone key that doesn't share a key with the COMMA. SwiftKey hasn't responded to a support question. Thanks.

Mikey D_PhD

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that there is only so much real estate that the keyboard can occupy and that a comma is used much more frequently than the microphone, hence the long press is needed for added functionality.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
If you notice the 3rd row of the keyboard, the one that the A key begins with, you'll see a space at the far left side and far right side. If that line of keys were rearranged, a standalone Microphone would fit in the newly created space. Just a thought.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I use this keyboard also , couldn't find a way to change this . But a( tip ) the new update let's the space bar by long pressing it become a cursor

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you notice the 3rd row of the keyboard, the one that the A key begins with, you'll see a space at the far left side and far right side. If that line of keys were rearranged, a standalone Microphone would fit in the newly created space. Just a thought.

I've been using Swiftkey for years. I wish (and suggested to them before they were owned by Microsoft) they had a layout like you describe. it's what I call the BlackBerry layout, with the 3rd row of characters flush to the sides. I make fewer typos with that layout.

I think Fleksy is the only virtual keyboard other than the actual BlackBerry keyboard that has that alignment. Maybe take a look at that and see if there is an option to do what you want with the mic key (I don't think there is). I've tried Fleksy many times, and even have it installed now, because I want that BlackBerry layout, but I keep coming back to Swiftkey for other reasons.

Yes, I've used the actual BB keyboard, too. I like it less than Fleksy.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I Hope I'm not taking this off on a tangent but reassigning keys is kind of a macro reassignment function. As the Blackberry Keyboard was mentioned, I miss the macros I could assign to keys. For instance, a V-blank (v followed by a space) would change to the Question Mark (?) and a G-blank (g followed by a space) would change to (g). I had some others and BB had some defaults like typing BB would expand to Blackberry. And there were date, time macros, too.

Anyone have a suggestion for a keyboard that allows such assignments or as I've called them MACROS. For some reason, I lost the BB keyboard with the update to Android 11. While the predictions still appear, swiping on those keys does not produce any results. But my macros still worked. Odd. But losing the predictions really made typing hard on my Pixel 3. So I disabled the BB Keyboard.

Ideas, suggestions, help appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planina91