Any Pixel 3 users holding off until the 6?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
@Jeremy8000, thanks for the reminder about Amazon Photos! It's definitely a good option for Prime subscribers. But do you know how tightly integrated it is into the system if you want to share or attach a photo? One nice thing about Google Photos is how I can treat the photos backed up in that cloud as if they're actually saved locally on my Chromebook when I want to attach them to an email.

(I actually did sign up for Amazon Photos when they offered a few bucks credit to my Prime account for uploading my first photo, but I'm not using it on a regular basis.)

I haven't really ever used it, just recalled it when reading the thread and thought I'd share what I rediscovered.

Just checked it out - looks like sharing is pretty simple, and is via link.

Capture.JPG

I can't tell any difference between an actual original file from Google that I uploaded to Amazon, and both continue to share identical 'File Info" in terms of size, resolution, aperture, ISO, device, etc - doesn't appear like Amazon is applying any compression whatsoever, though I'll drop links to both below in case someone else can spot any difference.

Photo as stored in Original format (taken by Pixel 3 XL) on Google Photos

Same photo uploaded to Amazon Photos

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
For me the P5 would have to be a secondary phone as it is a downgrade in all ways from my S10+. I may opt for the 4a 5g cos I do miss having a Pixel. But it wouldn't be until this time next year when the 5a will be out instead. So it will probably be the 5a 5g or P6 in my sights.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Was going to update from my Pixel 3XL but not sure now. Mid range processor and a smaller device hardly seems like an upgrade.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
The 765g is supposed to have the same processing power as the 845 in the Pixel 3 series. So it wouldn't be an upgrade, more a sideways move. It is an upgrade to someone with a Pixel 2 series phone or a 3a.

Seagu11

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
I'm waiting it out. I purchased my Pixel 3 back in Fed 2019 and it's still chugging along. I have 89% battery health as of today. With my usage, I can get about 1 day and 6 hours out of one charge. So, I'll hang around to see what Google will cook up next year regarding the Pixel 6.

The 5 is gorgeous (love that sorta sage) but I don't trust it. The cheap build materials, the processor, and the speaker choice on this phone has me bothered. I'm curious to see how the 5 will hold up during the 1st year of launch.
I purchased mine back in Feb of 2019 too. I'm definitely waiting to see what the 6 has in store before I upgrade.

VikingCowboy

Oct 13, 2020
Visit site
I was waiting excitedly for the Pixel 5, but for now I'm done with Google. I absolutely loved my Pixel 2 XL. I paid it off in April, 2020 and not 5 months later, in early September, the camera just stopped working. Google was no help. A factory reset was no help. From what I can determine, the Pixel 5 will NOT be any kind of an upgrade. Maybe even a step backwards.
I'm strongly considering the Samsung Galaxy S20 FE.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I've got a Pixel 3 that I purchased Sept 2019. I have to be honest, I know nothing about the "photo storage" aspects of this phone. I believe I turned off what I'll term "sharing" with Google the first time I got a prompt showing a photo I took and it showed where it was taken and if it could be shared with the world!!!! I was aghast that Google was identifying where I was and offering that share option. Color me old fashioned (maybe just OLD) and a bit more private. I found where to stop the upload but I've not considered it since. So have I been giving up a great feature for storing, at this point, a year's worth of full quality or ORIGINAL quality photos including trips to China and the Dolomites as well as other more routine hiking pictures, etc?

Thanks for any info including pointing me to the backup options and a way to backup but keep Google from identifying what/where and offering to share them. Or is the backup tied to being willing to share?

You really should consider using Google Photos backup. One of the best features the Pixel 3 has that the successors don't.

Also, I turn off location settings (disable Save Location) in my camera app. You can do the same if you don't want location to be stored.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I'll probably hang onto my 3 XL since I don't want to lose the unlimited Original Quality Google Photos backup. That ends in Feb 2022, so I'll probably aim for the 6 late next year.

This is what has made keeping my Pixel 3 for at least 3 years an easy decision. Keeps temptation away since I know the newer Pixels won't have this awesome benefit.

Regarding the Pixel 5:
- I don't really mind the upper midrange processor used since it helped lower the price while still being 5G capable.
- Battery life looks set to be amazing with Google finally putting in a decent sized battery.
- Build quality seems interesting. Metal back with wireless charging available when needed.
- Most importantly, since I take a ton of photos... Wide angle camera. Finally.