Google play system update

HyperM3

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got a notification on my phone to reboot for the update to take effect. I'm still showing a September update date. Hopefully another one will happen soon and bring it up to October.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was just discussing this with a few other people, and also asked JR Raphael about it. It sounds like Google Play Services updates are now requiring a restart (or at least, this one did). It's not the same as the Google Play Security Update (which you can find in the Settings>Security​ menu), nor is it the same as the monthly system updates.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just updated my Pixel 3 XL to this update. Has anyone else noticed any changes or improvements at all?

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I received the notification last night. For whatever reason it does seem like some Play Services updates now require a restart. A lot of times we can't see any differences with these Play Services updates, sometimes it's all background stuff that's updated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay, yeah, that part makes sense. However, if you don't have a Chromebook, and use from browser on Windows 10 laptop, would that Android notification hub app still work?

I edited my previous post right while you were typing, I think. That Phone Hub thing is only with the beta Play Services update, so I think I spoke too soon.:-\

Good question about Chrome on Windows, I'd have to look into that more ...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I edited my previous post right while you were typing, I think. That Phone Hub thing is only with the beta Play Services update, so I think I spoke too soon.:-\

Good question about Chrome on Windows, I'd have to look into that more ...
Haha dude, talk about quick reaction times! Lol well we shall see what the near future hold in store for all of us hahaha

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Okay, yeah, that part makes sense. However, if you don't have a Chromebook, and use from browser on Windows 10 laptop, would that Android notification hub app still work?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the new Phone Hub is only going to work on a Chromebook running Chrome OS. I'm excited for it since I use s Chromebook almost exclusively for personal use. I'm waiting for the Nearby Share to work between my phone and Chromebook, along with other new functionality. I don't think any of that will sync between phone and the Chrome browser on Windows, but could be mistaken.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but I think the new Phone Hub is only going to work on a Chromebook running Chrome OS. I'm excited for it since I use s Chromebook almost exclusively for personal use. I'm waiting for the Nearby Share to work between my phone and Chromebook, along with other new functionality. I don't think any of that will sync between phone and the Chrome browser on Windows, but could be mistaken.
That's cool, I mean the nearby share sounds cool and theory, but what's the difference between just using that versus messaging someone a link or a picture or anything else that it maybe you know what I mean? Yeah, unfortunately I use a high powered Dell latitude 7400 Windows 10 pro laptop for work which uses my personal laptop as well.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
what's the difference between just using that versus messaging someone a link or a picture or anything else that it maybe you know what I mean?

I think you'll be able to share large files quickly. If you share a picture via MMS or other messaging platform, the photo will often be downsized (or not even sent, if it exceeds the MMS filesize limit).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you'll be able to share large files quickly. If you share a picture via MMS or other messaging platform, the photo will often be downsized (or not even sent, if it exceeds the MMS filesize limit).
Well being able to transfer files is a little bit nicer, but that's what Google drive is for. I understand that part of it...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Well being able to transfer files is a little bit nicer, but that's what Google drive is for. I understand that part of it...

True, but a couple of minor advantages:

1. Transfer speeds might be faster than wi-fi upload speeds. I saw in an Android Police article that Nearby Share transfer speed was around 20 Mbps, while my upload speed on my Xfinity wi-fi connection is around 10 Mbps (but obviously YMMV).

2. It can be done without a web connection. Granted, a Chromebook user will usually be using a web connection, but it might be helpful in a situation where you're on the move and don't have wi-fi network to connect to, and just want to transfer a file over.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I use Drive now to share files between phone and Chromebook, and it works great. But nearby share will be a lot less clicks....two clicks and the file is shared right to the other device. That's why I have been waiting for it. But there is nothing wrong or broken about using Drive, I use my Google Drive every day for something.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use Drive now to share files between phone and Chromebook, and it works great. But nearby share will be a lot less clicks....two clicks and the file is shared right to the other device. That's why I have been waiting for it. But there is nothing wrong or broken about using Drive, I use my Google Drive every day for something.
True, but a couple of minor advantages:

1. Transfer speeds might be faster than wi-fi upload speeds. I saw in an Android Police article that Nearby Share transfer speed was around 20 Mbps, while my upload speed on my Xfinity wi-fi connection is around 10 Mbps (but obviously YMMV).

2. It can be done without a web connection. Granted, a Chromebook user will usually be using a web connection, but it might be helpful in a situation where you're on the move and don't have wi-fi network to connect to, and just want to transfer a file over.
Well, at least in my opinion, here's the problem that I have with nearby sharing. Unless you have two different Android phones up-to-date on software, nearby share doesn't work. IOS has their own version of near by sharing called airdrop of course which isn't compatible with Android of course. I guess what I'm saying is I just wish more apps were cross-platform compatible or features were cross-platform compatible Of course. I mean that's a separate conversation as well. That's why I stick with messaging services because most of them are cross-platform compatible,. I mean you're right, Google drive is a few more clicks, but iOS and Android it works with.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2