Google Maps in Landscape mode for navigation

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have my 2 set so that I can manually change orientation (the little rectangle pops up in the "lower right corner" when I rotate the phone. If I tap it, it changes orientation. It works if I have Maps on the screen. (I can't see using it that way - I have the map set for North-up, but I mostly use it for audible direction, so I want to see more north and south than more east and west.)

It should work on the 3 the same way. (And it's just a tap to rotate the screen, something you can get used to quickly. [Or you can have the auto-rotate quick icon in the pulldown to switch modes between auto rotate and manual rotate.])

I just notices - with autorotate on, Maps rotates to landscape mode automatically. (I'm running Android 11 - you should have updated by now.)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I must be having a stupid moment but I can't get the screen to rotate in google maps, no matter what I do. What am I missing?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Your Auto-Rotate is turned on, right?

Yes, but I just learned that the rotation is not instantaneous. It takes a few seconds to happen. I don't remember it taking so long but it works. Thanks for helping this impatient user but the rotation still doesn't work

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed the pause myself, and in the back of my mind was wondering if that was the problem! So are you saying it works or doesn't work? You said both in your last post.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, but I just learned that the rotation is not instantaneous. It takes a few seconds to happen. I don't remember it taking so long but it works. Thanks for helping this impatient user but the rotation still doesn't work
Some members have run into this issue , try safe mode .

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I noticed the pause myself, and in the back of my mind was wondering if that was the problem! So are you saying it works or doesn't work? You said both in your last post.

I know that I wasn't too clear on the issue. The problem began with me trying to run Google Maps in Landscape mode.
After suggesting that I check my ROTATION settings, because of the noticeable delay, I thought that my ROTATION wasn't working.
When I discovered that rotation was working, I tried Maps again and it still didn't work.
I have never tried landscape mode in Maps for the 6 years I've been using it. I had a situation where I thought I would try it. This is not a critical problem with me, but I still would like to know it worked in Maps. Somewhere in the back of my mind I feel that there's a maps setting that I need to change Maps to Landscape.
Perhaps I need to be actually driving for it to work. I've been testing while I'm in my chair in my Living room.
Thanks for helping me again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It shouldn't have anything to do with the difference between Maps and Maps Go, because I can definitely use my Google Maps while navigating in landscape.

Try clearing the app cache/data for Google Maps.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
It shouldn't have anything to do with the difference between Maps and Maps Go, because I can definitely use my Google Maps while navigating in landscape.

Try clearing the app cache/data for Google Maps.

That did it.
You would think that by now I would have learned that Clearing THE CACHE solves many strange problems.
Thank goodness for this Forum and the expertise of the moderators, especially you. Thanks again.