About the last half dozen times I've opened the camera app, it is locked up and I cannot tap the shutter button. Or I will be taking a picture and it will lock up and not respond at all. Can't close or swipe it away.

I ideas? Pixel 3 (with May update).

In spite of that I did take some hiking pictures today (g)
    06-09-2021 01:34 PM
    Is this the stock camera app or something else? Have you tried in safe mode?
    06-09-2021 03:50 PM
    Is this the stock camera app or something else? Have you tried in safe mode?
    It is the standard camera app.

I have not tried Safe Mode. If safe mode still blows away the placement of my icons and widgets I am not interested in using it. I've used it in the past and it was a real pain restoring order to my LIFE!
    06-09-2021 08:29 PM
    Does it still happen after a reboot? Did you already try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app in Settings>Apps​?
    06-09-2021 10:32 PM
    Does it still happen after a reboot? Did you already try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app in Settings>Apps​?
    Just did that. Still freezing. It won't even let me swipe to minimize it. Then it imploded/crashed.
    06-10-2021 01:04 PM
    Just did that. Still freezing. It won't even let me swipe to minimize it. Then it imploded/crashed.
    Can you open the camera from a different app (WhatsApp, Facebook, Telegram ...)?
    06-10-2021 01:12 PM

I have not tried Safe Mode. If safe mode still blows away the placement of my icons and widgets I am not interested in using it. I've used it in the past and it was a real pain restoring order to my LIFE!
    I haven't experienced going into safe mode doing that but seems you have , it worth to try otherwise it's a factory reset which either will be pain more so factory reset

Edit: can you uninstall the camera app update ? Long press the camera then tap info , I remember u could but I'm in Android beta 12
    06-10-2021 01:41 PM

Safe mode shouldn't mess with anything
    06-10-2021 02:08 PM
    Hopefully it's not this issue: https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/0...camera-issues/

If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then your next step may be a factory reset. If it still doesn't work, then if you have Preferred Care, contact Google about a replacement (who knows, maybe they'll send you a Pixel 5). If you don't, then it's unfortunately probably time for a new phone.
    06-10-2021 04:35 PM
    Can you open the camera from a different app (WhatsApp, Facebook, Telegram ...)?
    Bows head in shame

I don't have any of those apps!!!!

It just happened again on my morning walk. I even wound up with a totally white photo. One or two of my feet.

But I just did the June Security update and will see how it acts.
    06-12-2021 10:44 AM
    I haven't experienced going into safe mode doing that but seems you have , it worth to try otherwise it's a factory reset which either will be pain more so factory reset

Edit: can you uninstall the camera app update ? Long press the camera then tap info , I remember u could but I'm in Android beta 12
    I may give Safe Mode a try. As I wrote above, I just installed the June update. And the other day I did UNinstall the update. Still froze and then reinstalled it again. Oh, I have 15 gigs of space so it is not a storage problem.

It was flawless until about a week or so ago. Frustrating when it happens on a bike ride and the other person is ready to ship off and I'm still futzing with a locked up camera app.
    mustang7757 and Laura Knotek like this.
    06-12-2021 10:48 AM
    I may give Safe Mode a try. As I wrote above, I just installed the June update. And the other day I did UNinstall the update. Still froze and then reinstalled it again. Oh, I have 15 gigs of space so it is not a storage problem.

It was flawless until about a week or so ago. Frustrating when it happens on a bike ride and the other person is ready to ship off and I'm still futzing with a locked up camera app.
    Yeah I would definitely try that , so far they took that option out to uninstall on Android 12 , hope it won't be like that in final builds .
    06-12-2021 11:25 AM
    Yikes, I certainly hope you figure it out -- we can tell how much you love photography (and how good you are at it)!
    FF22 likes this.
    06-12-2021 11:36 AM