Camera App locks up almost completely

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
About the last half dozen times I've opened the camera app, it is locked up and I cannot tap the shutter button. Or I will be taking a picture and it will lock up and not respond at all. Can't close or swipe it away.

I ideas? Pixel 3 (with May update).

In spite of that I did take some hiking pictures today (g)

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is this the stock camera app or something else? Have you tried in safe mode?

It is the standard camera app.

I have not tried Safe Mode. If safe mode still blows away the placement of my icons and widgets I am not interested in using it. I've used it in the past and it was a real pain restoring order to my LIFE! :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it still happen after a reboot? Did you already try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app in Settings>Apps​?

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does it still happen after a reboot? Did you already try clearing the app cache/data for the Camera app in Settings>Apps​?

Just did that. Still freezing. It won't even let me swipe to minimize it. Then it imploded/crashed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I have not tried Safe Mode. If safe mode still blows away the placement of my icons and widgets I am not interested in using it. I've used it in the past and it was a real pain restoring order to my LIFE! :D
I haven't experienced going into safe mode doing that but seems you have , it worth to try otherwise it's a factory reset which either will be pain more so factory reset

Edit: can you uninstall the camera app update ? Long press the camera then tap info , I remember u could but I'm in Android beta 12

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Safe mode shouldn't mess with anything

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you open the camera from a different app (WhatsApp, Facebook, Telegram ...)?

Bows head in shame :)

I don't have any of those apps!!!!

It just happened again on my morning walk. I even wound up with a totally white photo. One or two of my feet.

But I just did the June Security update and will see how it acts.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't experienced going into safe mode doing that but seems you have , it worth to try otherwise it's a factory reset which either will be pain more so factory reset

Edit: can you uninstall the camera app update ? Long press the camera then tap info , I remember u could but I'm in Android beta 12

I may give Safe Mode a try. As I wrote above, I just installed the June update. And the other day I did UNinstall the update. Still froze and then reinstalled it again. Oh, I have 15 gigs of space so it is not a storage problem.

It was flawless until about a week or so ago. Frustrating when it happens on a bike ride and the other person is ready to ship off and I'm still futzing with a locked up camera app.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I may give Safe Mode a try. As I wrote above, I just installed the June update. And the other day I did UNinstall the update. Still froze and then reinstalled it again. Oh, I have 15 gigs of space so it is not a storage problem.

It was flawless until about a week or so ago. Frustrating when it happens on a bike ride and the other person is ready to ship off and I'm still futzing with a locked up camera app.
Yeah I would definitely try that , so far they took that option out to uninstall on Android 12 , hope it won't be like that in final builds .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yikes, I certainly hope you figure it out -- we can tell how much you love photography (and how good you are at it:))!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles