Gmail notification icon went away, can't bring it back

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I have a Pixel 3a but am posting in this more-active forum. Running Android 11, Build RQ2A.210505.002.

Sometime in the past week - can't put my finger on when, the "new gmail message" notification icon - looks like an envelope with the gmail "M" logo - stopped appearing in the top left notification area, even though I didn't knowingly change anything (HIGHLY unlikely I caused this to happen).

I also have a G Suite business gmail account. This notification continues to work, and yes, I normally can show two gmail notification icons, one for G Suite business, and one for gmail personal. This issue is because of the personal email.

My home screen gmail icon does continue to show a blue dot if I have new messages. But I'm rarely on the home screen; I'd rather have the always-visible top notification icon.

My notification settings (settings > apps & notifications > gmail > notifications) were and continue to be on for all. I tried turning them off, restarting the phone, turning them on, restarting the phone, but this didn't work.

In manage labels from gmail's settings, I've synced messages, and both boxes (label notifications, and notify for every message) are checked.

There are a multitude of other suggested fixes out there, most radical of which is to remove the account from my Pixel. I don't want to do that, or any of the other wild ideas. Simple fact is that the gmail notification icon was working for the life of the phone, and seemingly "just stopped" working, and I'd like it to work again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you checked this already, but just in case -- when you swipe down the notification panel, it doesn't show up there either? The notification bar can fill up pretty quickly with icons (since it can no longer extend into the top middle of the screen to account for notches), so all you might see is the overflow dot.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure you checked this already, but just in case -- when you swipe down the notification panel, it doesn't show up there either? The notification bar can fill up pretty quickly with icons (since it can no longer extend into the top middle of the screen to account for notches), so all you might see is the overflow dot.

Thanks, and you're correct, that's not it. I essentially limit my notifications to gmail, G Suite, and texts, so my notification area is never cluttered.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
As a test, try turning off the Workspace Gmail notifications temporarily and see if your personal Gmail notifications come through. Wondering if this is a glitch with having both kinds of accounts.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
As a test, try turning off the Workspace Gmail notifications temporarily and see if your personal Gmail notifications come through. Wondering if this is a glitch with having both kinds of accounts.

Thanks. Tried this and it did not work. Restored the workspace notifications, and they're back, but not the personal ones.

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Try clearing cache then force stop Gmail app.

I had tried clearing the cache previously and that did not work. Tried today, along with the force stop (how do I do this - I just clicked "force stop" in the app info under "Open - Disable - Force stop" - right?), and this did not work.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had tried clearing the cache previously and that did not work. Tried today, along with the force stop (how do I do this - I just clicked "force stop" in the app info under "Open - Disable - Force stop" - right?), and this did not work.
Correct , if that didn't work then try clear data then force stop. This will reset the app

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
Correct , if that didn't work then try clear data then force stop. This will reset the app

I did that, and then of course launching gmail I got screens like I was a new user. Had to re-enable syncing and notifications. Didn't look hard at other settings. Now although business G Suite still has notifications right, personal still doesn't show the envelope notification, and now the blue dot on the gmail icon has disappeared too.

FWIW, I'd systematically followed https://support.google.com/mail/ans...rm=Android&hl=en#zippy=,turn-on-notifications in trying to fix this, and those steps haven't worked either.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did that, and then of course launching gmail I got screens like I was a new user. Had to re-enable syncing and notifications. Didn't look hard at other settings. Now although business G Suite still has notifications right, personal still doesn't show the envelope notification, and now the blue dot on the gmail icon has disappeared too.

FWIW, I'd systematically followed https://support.google.com/mail/ans...rm=Android&hl=en#zippy=,turn-on-notifications in trying to fix this, and those steps haven't worked either.
The G Suite is it like a device administrator app ?