Just got a new Pixel 3

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
After about 6 and a half years of using Blackberrys, my Keyone bit the dust, and I decided on the Pixel 3. I am a user of many Google services and I had always heard that the Pixels have a more pure Android experience so it seemed logical. So far so good. I do have some questions but I will save them for another thread.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Congratulations on the new phone. I have a Pixel 3 XL that continues to go strong, although the battery life is down to 89% (meaning it drains a little more quickly over the day than it did 2 years ago). Camera is still superb, and I love the continued Original Quality Google Photos backups until Feb 2022 (but it'll still get High Quality/Storage Saver quality backups for the rest of its life).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! As a fellow BlackBerry enthusiast, I too came to Android via a Google phone (the Nexus 5). So glad you are loving your Pixel 3! Going to a Google phone is a great way to start out your Android experience! I still have a friend who loves and uses his Pixel 3 - I think he's had it since launch.

Welcome again, and enjoy yourself around the forums! We'll do our best to answer your questions!

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for the welcomes, I started with a Blackberry Passport, which was Blackberry 10 system, which would run some Android apps, but by 2019 it was all but useless, with no updates. I found myself hunting for old APKs of APPs to get them to run so I went with the KeyOne, which was Android, but I think Android 8 was the newest version I could use on it. I did like it and but it began to reboot constantly, just reboot, reboot, reboot, and never stop.
Both the Keyone and the passport had one great feature and that was they were easy to work on. You could open both of them with a few tools. I changed the screen on the Passport twice, plus the battery once, and changed the battery on the KeyOne. Took about 10-15 minutes.

That all being said, the Pixel 3 works great.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After about 6 and a half years of using Blackberrys, my Keyone bit the dust, and I decided on the Pixel 3. I am a user of many Google services and I had always heard that the Pixels have a more pure Android experience so it seemed logical. So far so good. I do have some questions but I will save them for another thread.

I also came to the Pixel 3 from the KeyOne. I started with the 8830 World Edition eons ago and moved through any number of BB's including the slider Priv. I picked up the Pixel 3 just before a trip to China and went with Google Fi. I could not justify Verizon's charges for out-of-country data and calls. The Pixel and Google proved to be very successful in China offering services that other cell phone users could not use in China. Fearing data/phone compromise (maybe unfounded), I only had the phone, no laptop, and kept up-to-date on news and email and texting.

Enjoy.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcomes, I started with a Blackberry Passport, which was Blackberry 10 system, which would run some Android apps, but by 2019 it was all but useless, with no updates. I found myself hunting for old APKs of APPs to get them to run so I went with the KeyOne, which was Android, but I think Android 8 was the newest version I could use on it. I did like it and but it began to reboot constantly, just reboot, reboot, reboot, and never stop.
Both the Keyone and the passport had one great feature and that was they were easy to work on. You could open both of them with a few tools. I changed the screen on the Passport twice, plus the battery once, and changed the battery on the KeyOne. Took about 10-15 minutes.

I didn't know the BlackBerry Passport had the BlackBerry 10 OS. I loved that! Do you miss using features like the BlackBerry Hub?

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site

I have the Passport. I loved that phone. It's my favorite of all BlackBerrys. Pity it went the way of all great BBs. May they rest in peace and in found memories.
So welcome.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know the BlackBerry Passport had the BlackBerry 10 OS. I loved that! Do you miss using features like the BlackBerry Hub?

I still use the Hub on my Pixel 3. But while I had also been using the BB Keyboard, somewhere about 6 months ago, it stopped working. I miss it. Actually, I was still using BLEND till about three weeks ago on my Win10 desktop and laptop, it was getting crankier and crankier. In so many things BB was ahead of its time and superb.

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
I have the Passport. I loved that phone. It's my favorite of all BlackBerrys. Pity it went the way of all great BBs. May they rest in peace and in found memories.
So welcome.

It was my favorite also, in fact, when the KeyOne went down and I was waiting for the Pixel to come in I went back to the Passport, I could use the phone, texts and I had a browser on it called Browsey Browser and it worked. It was kind of fun to use it again.

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
I still use the Hub on my Pixel 3. But while I had also been using the BB Keyboard, somewhere about 6 months ago, it stopped working. I miss it. Actually, I was still using BLEND till about three weeks ago on my Win10 desktop and laptop, it was getting crankier and crankier. In so many things BB was ahead of its time and superb.

I miss the hub the most, but when I tried to install it on the Pixel it didn't work, just gave me a message saying it keeps stopping, I was bummed and I can't find something that does what the Hub does, I am surprised that someone has not come up with something to compete with it, seeing how useful the Hub is.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It was my favorite also, in fact, when the KeyOne went down and I was waiting for the Pixel to come in I went back to the Passport, I could use the phone, texts and I had a browser on it called Browsey Browser and it worked. It was kind of fun to use it again.

That's a great name for a browser! They should make one for Android called Browsey McBrowseface.:p

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I miss the hub the most, but when I tried to install it on the Pixel it didn't work, just gave me a message saying it keeps stopping, I was bummed and I can't find something that does what the Hub does, I am surprised that someone has not come up with something to compete with it, seeing how useful the Hub is.

If I recall, there's a workaround to install and get it working in Android. Drawing a blank on the programmer but he was Swiss. Info probably somewhere on the crackberry site.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

That's great that you are still using the Hub! Yes, I loved the BlackBerry keyboard too! I totally agree with you that BlackBerry was ahead of its time in many regards. I still think the Q10 was AMAZING. Physical keyboard AND a touchscreen? Like the Torch on steroids!

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
If I recall, there's a workaround to install and get it working in Android. Drawing a blank on the programmer but he was Swiss. Info probably somewhere on the crackberry site.

I figured it out, I first installed the Blackberry Hub and Services app, then installed the Blackberry Hub and Inbox and it works, emails, texts, and phone calls all appear in the Hub, just like on the Keyone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I figured it out, I first installed the Blackberry Hub and Services app, then installed the Blackberry Hub and Inbox and it works, emails, texts, and phone calls all appear in the Hub, just like on the Keyone.

Thank you for posting this! I'm sure OP and a lot of other users will find it helpful! Quite a few people around these parts use BlackBerry Hub!

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Just a heads up.
Unfortunately the Hub/Inbox force closes on Android 12 Beta. Unless there is an update to the Hub or a fix in the public release of A12 the Hub might be a thing of past.
Btw: I just installed both yesterday and no go. I try with every A12Beta update. I want it to work as any Hub fan.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up.
Unfortunately the Hub/Inbox force closes on Android 12 Beta. Unless there is an update to the Hub or a fix in the public release of A12 the Hub might be a thing of past.
Btw: I just installed both yesterday and no go. I try with every A12Beta update. I want it to work as any Hub fan.

Let us know.

My sadness is due to Blend pretty much dieing this last month or two. Which reminds me, I have not fired up my Playbook in ages and ages.

Smokeaire01

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Let us know.

My sadness is due to Blend pretty much dieing this last month or two. Which reminds me, I have not fired up my Playbook in ages and ages.
Funny thing when I do install both it does install just fine with logging in and setting up emails. It's the Hub app that force closes. If that would get fixed it would be great.