Android 12 now officially available

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Installing now... Hoping all the beta bugs have been squashed.

Been eagerly waiting for this OS refresh, especially since I won't be able to order a Pixel 6 anytime soon (not available in SG).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-090938.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-090938.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 35

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
Hmm... Feels sluggish and laggy so far.

Might need to give it some time, phone is a bit hot from the update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm crashing this thread since I have a 3a XL, but so far things seem smooth! Haven't done a deep dive yet into the new features.

rexxsor

Oct 31, 2018
Visit site
I'm crashing this thread since I have a 3a XL, but so far things seem smooth! Haven't done a deep dive yet into the new features.

That's cool, 3 and 3a same phone family to me... Haha

My Pixel 3 is now better after cooling down. Though it still doesn't seem as responsive as Android 11. Might be the new animations.

Really refreshing look though. Also really love the auto-theming based on your wallpaper.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
12 on my 3XL is rock solid, and smoother and faster than 11. Everything works perfectly, love the animation tweaks, and I like the new features and privacy controls. Still not sure how I feel about the look though. I like the fact it's different than the basic look I've been staring at since Android 6, but I kinda miss the vibrant colors and livelier look of 11. 12 looks a little barren in comparison lol.

bcumings

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
If I install, will I get any updates to fix the inevitable bugs? Concerned I'll get stuck with a buggy phone since updates technically end at the end of the month.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good question, I'm not sure how Google would handle that. Manufacturers have been known to push updates past the end-of-life for crucial fixes, but minor bugs might remain unpatched.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
If I install, will I get any updates to fix the inevitable bugs? Concerned I'll get stuck with a buggy phone since updates technically end at the end of the month.

It's not guaranteed that you'll get bugs, the majority of folks don't. My 3XL is running 12 flawlessly...better than 11 actually. I've updated from 5 all the way to 12, over different phones, and never had issues bad enough to break my ability to use the phone. I had a couple irritating bugs that I probably could have fixed, but I chose to factory reset instead because I'm ocd lol. But if you restart your phone before the update, and a couple times after, you shouldn't have any issues if you're not having any now ;)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I've heard the term FACTORY RESET to solve bug problems many times.
There have been a few times I considered doing it, but backed away for fear that the process is cumbersome, long, and full of problems. My pixel 3 has had some annoying issues that I'm toid a FACTORY RESET would fix, but I've resisted the urge.
From folks out there that have done it, what is your experience? Thanks.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
It wipes all your personal data, settings and apps you installed and loads a fresh clean copy of the operating system (OS). So its like opening the box on a new phone, in a way. Is it cumbersome and takes long? Depends on your definition of long and your definition of cumbersome. Is it cumbersome to buy a new phone and set it up for the first time?

I have factory reset many phones, many times and I don't find it too difficult to setup again. And it can solve some software related problems.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've heard the term FACTORY RESET to solve bug problems many times.
There have been a few times I considered doing it, but backed away for fear that the process is cumbersome, long, and full of problems. My pixel 3 has had some annoying issues that I'm toid a FACTORY RESET would fix, but I've resisted the urge.
From folks out there that have done it, what is your experience? Thanks.

Factory resetting can usually fix most problems, and make your phone run better overall. And like Scott said, it's the same as setting up a new phone... it's not really too cumbersome or time consuming, unless you've changed lots of things on your phone like different launchers, lots of customized folders on your home screen, lots of apps you've installed etc.

But you might not even need to go that far, a lot of problems can be solved without doing a factory reset. Let us know the problems you're having, maybe we can help you ;)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the offer to help.
Over the past 3 years, many minor issues have surfaced. I have created workarounds for most and avoided others I have changed many apps and installed many others.
I think I'll leave "sleeping dogs lie" and plod along with what I have.

royphotog

Jun 22, 2021
Visit site
Installed it this morning after reading the above threads. So far so good, no issues. Seams to be as fast as 11 and I like the new material you colors it selects. I'm going to delve a little deeper today.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was just "offered" 12 but I'm a bit reluctant. My phone seems to run fine and I would like it to continue to do so. Pixel 3.

I've done the various security updates over the two years and one month I've had this phone. Actually, I don't recall, did I even update between Android 10 and 11 in that period????? But still, I'm OLD and of the mind - if it ain't broke, well. don't break it now!!!

So, with that intro, has anyone run into any show stoppers?

Do I really want to move to Pixel 6 or something else if security updates will be ending soon? What initially triggered this entire Pixel trip and Google Fi was a planned trip to China and wanting to have the least hassles visiting that, well, interesting country with an Android device and Verizon service. The Pixel 3 and Fi worked flawlessly. While others on the trip had troubles connecting and gaining unrestricted access to the web and email, I had no problems. Google Maps worked, Gmail worked. That trip was two years ago last week. I visited Yahoo news daily. Of course, I did not use wifi or connect to any hotels or other sources.

I wish I had been as smart on a later trip to the Dolomites and Munich. I'm still getting a ton of German language spam either from Germanic Northern Italy or Munich. Gmail has been good about sending it all to spam but it is irritating, for sure.

So back to Android 12 - what has irritated you the most or maybe nothing.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Android 12 was totally fine on my 3a XL. Whether you like the UI changes or not will depend on your own taste -- some people love them, some people just hate them, but I'd say most of us accept them and move on.

I just transitioned over to my new 6 Pro, which is great so far, although there have been a few minor glitches here and there that have seemed to clear up pretty quickly -- these are more likely related to the phone rather than Android 12 itself.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Android 12 was totally fine on my 3a XL. Whether you like the UI changes or not will depend on your own taste -- some people love them, some people just hate them, but I'd say most of us accept them and move on.

I just transitioned over to my new 6 Pro, which is great so far, although there have been a few minor glitches here and there that have seemed to clear up pretty quickly -- these are more likely related to the phone rather than Android 12 itself.

Thanks for the info.

Just a nosy question - any reason you stuck with Pixel and did not go with another brand? Did you explore others? I was Blackberry until the Pixel.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

Just a nosy question - any reason you stuck with Pixel and did not go with another brand? Did you explore others? I was Blackberry until the Pixel.

Nope, I bleed Pixel.:p The two main reasons I've stuck with Pixel have been the camera and the reliable updates and support. Other reasons include zero bloatware and the big leap forward that is the Pixel 6 line.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I like andriod 12