Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So there have been codenames leaked for the Google Pixel 3 phones, Crosshatch and Wahoo. Unclear of which is the Pixel 3 and which is the 3 XL as of yet, still very early days.

While I think the Pixel 2 / 2 XL were excellent phones, they were obviously hammered by the media and fans for different issues - the mediocre screen quality and poor calibration of the 2 XL's screen and the large bezels of the 2. I think Google really need to spend more time on design and really spend more time focusing on creating beautiful hardware.

Here's what I'd like to see with their next phones:

- Small bezels for the Pixel 3, something akin to what a 2018 phone should be and reduce the bezels even further on the XL. Yes they have dual front facing speakers, but to be honest, other phones sound better with a bottom firing speaker and have better designs.
- Screen no larger than 5.5" for the Pixel 3, 6" again for the 3 XL.
- Move to a Samsung AMOLED screen or move to an LCD screen. I don't believe LG could have fixed up all the issues with their OLED screens in one year, don't want another mediocre screen on their flagship in 2018.
- A secondary camera either with wide-angle or optical zoom.
- A much nicer physical design - get those HTC employees coming up with something special. I still think the Pixel phones are ugly and I have never liked that glass window at the back. it serves no purpose and IMO looks ugly.
- In-screen fingerprint scanner.
- Having one manufacturer for both phones so they don't have different design cues like the 2/2 XL have.
- Remove the plastic coating on the back of the phone; if you're going to build a metal phone, have it feel like metal.
- Get rid of the rounded corners of the screen. I don't know why but I just don't like them at all.
- All the usual internal improvements, Snapdragon 845, 4-6gb ram, larger battery yadda yadda yadda.

So what would you like to see with the 3 & 3 XL?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do like a lot of your suggestions! I feel like I'm the only one who actually loved bezels and therefore really loved the look and feel of the Pixel 2.

I do agree with you that it would be cool if a 5.5-inch variant of the Pixel 3 could exist; OR that Google makes three variants: the small Pixel 3 (5"), the medium Pixel 3 (5.5"), and the large Pixel 3 XL (6"). That would tickle my fancy - they could even make the three variants different colours like before. Sure, they could trim down the bezels; but I just don't understand the surprising amount of disdain for bezels. But that's why maybe Google could eliminate more bezels for one or two of the versions and let the other version have a bit more.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I do like a lot of your suggestions! I feel like I'm the only one who actually loved bezels and therefore really loved the look and feel of the Pixel 2.

I do agree with you that it would be cool if a 5.5-inch variant of the Pixel 3 could exist; OR that Google makes three variants: the small Pixel 3 (5"), the medium Pixel 3 (5.5"), and the large Pixel 3 XL (6"). That would tickle my fancy - they could even make the three variants different colours like before. Sure, they could trim down the bezels; but I just don't understand the surprising amount of disdain for bezels. But that's why maybe Google could eliminate more bezels for one or two of the versions and let the other version have a bit more.

I think the large bezels of the Pixel 2 just make it look like an old phone, not like a 2017 flagship. I think the disdain is that we're looking for extremely sleek, better screen-to-body ratios. I like having a nice size screen, but don't want it in a huge phone. Smaller bezels means I can have a bigger screen in a smaller overall body. I mean imagine the Pixel 2 XL with the Pixel 2's bezels, that'd be borderline unusable.

And yeah, if there was a 5.5" Pixel 3, that would be perfect for me and I'd get that over the 6" model. Love your 3 screen size suggestion, but unfortunately, I don't see it happening.

Also these are just hardware quibbles I have with the phone. I think the Pixel have far and away the best software on any phone on the market, so I like the direction Google is heading with it and don't have any real issues.

Here's a great article from Joe: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3

Sums up my thoughts exactly. While this year will see the S9/S9+, LG G7, HTC U12, Note 9 etc all before the Pixel 3 and they'll all be great, it's the Pixel 3 that I'm really looking forward to. If Google can up their hardware this year and bring it up a notch (with even implementing just a few of the suggestions I had), it'll be a blowout win to me.

The one thing I believe Google cannot screw up with this year is the screen. That alone really hurt the Pixel 2 XL. Whether it was warranted or overblown is irrelevant - the damage was done. The Pixel 2 XL will forever be tarnished with the reputation of having a 'bad' screen. This cannot happen again. So move to Samsung, move to an LCD screen, do whatever, just don't repeat the same mistake.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the large bezels of the Pixel 2 just make it look like an old phone, not like a 2017 flagship. I think the disdain is that we're looking for extremely sleek, better screen-to-body ratios. I like having a nice size screen, but don't want it in a huge phone. Smaller bezels means I can have a bigger screen in a smaller overall body. I mean imagine the Pixel 2 XL with the Pixel 2's bezels, that'd be borderline unusable.

And yeah, if there was a 5.5" Pixel 3, that would be perfect for me and I'd get that over the 6" model. Love your 3 screen size suggestion, but unfortunately, I don't see it happening.

Also these are just hardware quibbles I have with the phone. I think the Pixel have far and away the best software on any phone on the market, so I like the direction Google is heading with it and don't have any real issues.

Here's a great article from Joe: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-pixel-3

Sums up my thoughts exactly. While this year will see the S9/S9+, LG G7, HTC U12, Note 9 etc all before the Pixel 3 and they'll all be great, it's the Pixel 3 that I'm really looking forward to. If Google can up their hardware this year and bring it up a notch (with even implementing just a few of the suggestions I had), it'll be a blowout win to me.

The one thing I believe Google cannot screw up with this year is the screen. That alone really hurt the Pixel 2 XL. Whether it was warranted or overblown is irrelevant - the damage was done. The Pixel 2 XL will forever be tarnished with the reputation of having a 'bad' screen. This cannot happen again. So move to Samsung, move to an LCD screen, do whatever, just don't repeat the same mistake.

I definitely agree with all of your points. And though I *do* love my bezels, I get what you're saying about having more screen real estate in a smaller body. That is ironically something I want too, despite the contradiction with my love of bezels. It's just that this entire movement towards phablets is not as relevant to me; as I have small hands and would rather have a phone within the 5.2"-5" range. The Pixel 2 is a little outside that range but it is pretty much the same size as my 5.2-inch Honor 8. But I'd love to see three different sizes so those users (a small amount maybe) who do enjoy smaller phones will be able to have that option. I agree with you though - having three different sizes probably won't happen.

Yes, the Pixel 3 will absolutely have to have a good screen - I have a feeling that reviewers and users alike will not be as forgiving or as intrigued by the Pixel 3 if it does not have a screen that is "widely acceptable." While I've seen great Pixel 2 XL screens and think the blue shift is a minor issue for the most part on most devices, you're right in that it has indeed given a stigma to the 2 XL. Hopefully the next iteration will really combat against that and people won't think of "blue shift" or "screen issues" with the Pixel 3 line.

All in all, I too am the most excited for what Google will do with their phone line this year. Next in line is HTC and then LG; but yeah, I'm truly excited to see what Google has in store.

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I think they will be getting rid of the duel speaker with them buying that new technology where the sound comes from the screen.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Well here's some good news: The Google-HTC deal has completed and it looks like Taiwan will be the focus for design and engineering for Google's hardware products: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-has-officially-completed-its-11-billion-htc-deal

This is great. HTC have made absolutely beautiful phones in the past, so hopefully closing this deal will check off two points in my OP; nicer hardware design and one manufacturer for both phones.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well here's some good news: The Google-HTC deal has completed and it looks like Taiwan will be the focus for design and engineering for Google's hardware products: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-has-officially-completed-its-11-billion-htc-deal

This is great. HTC have made absolutely beautiful phones in the past, so hopefully closing this deal will check off two points in my OP; nicer hardware design and one manufacturer for both phones.

I love HTC - this is super exciting!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
pixel 3 and 3XL will get micro sd? Or never in Google pixel's line and beyond?

Extremely unlikely.

Google haven't had an SD card slot in the Nexus phones since the original Nexus One?

I wouldn't count on the Pixel 3 having micro SD card slots.

As long as Daydream is AMOLED, Google won't do LCD Pixels.
The Daydream doesn't have a screen. It uses the phone screen.

And the reason why Daydream only works with OLED screens is because OLED pixels can change state instantly, from on to off right away. LDC's delay and will result in laggy image retention.

I personally don't care for Daydream, but if Google are persistent in having their phones work with Daydream, then they should move to Samsung's AMOLED screens rather than stick to LG's OLED ones.

David404

Aug 27, 2017
Visit site
Don't own a Pixel 2 so cant comment from personal use but high probability that my next handset will be a Google device...

Number 1 and you may think this frivolous but I'd love Google to remove ALL branding from the device as Esential have.

Number 2 slightly larger screen 5.2" to 5.5"

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Extremely unlikely.

Google haven't had an SD card slot in the Nexus phones since the original Nexus One?

I wouldn't count on the Pixel 3 having micro SD card slots.

And the reason why Daydream only works with OLED screens is because OLED pixels can change state instantly, from on to off right away. LDC's delay and will result in laggy image retention.

I personally don't care for Daydream, but if Google are persistent in having their phones work with Daydream, then they should move to Samsung's AMOLED screens rather than stick to LG's OLED ones.

He knows Daydream uses the phone. He was making a shorter point that you elaborated on regarding why OLED is required for VR.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As long as Daydream is AMOLED, Google won't do LCD Pixels.

Yes.

Which means as long as LCDs aren't Daydream-compatible, there is zero chance of an LCD Pixel 3.

- Move to a Samsung AMOLED screen or move to an LCD screen. I don't believe LG could have fixed up all the issues with their OLED screens in one year, don't want another mediocre screen on their flagship in 2018.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So there have been codenames leaked for the Google Pixel 3 phones, Crosshatch and Wahoo. Unclear of which is the Pixel 3 and which is the 3 XL as of yet, still very early days.

While I think the Pixel 2 / 2 XL were excellent phones, they were obviously hammered by the media and fans for different issues - the mediocre screen quality and poor calibration of the 2 XL's screen and the large bezels of the 2. I think Google really need to spend more time on design and really spend more time focusing on creating beautiful hardware.

- Small bezels for the Pixel 3, something akin to what a 2018 phone should be and reduce the bezels even further on the XL. Yes they have dual front facing speakers, but to be honest, other phones sound better with a bottom firing speaker and have better designs.
- A much nicer physical design - get those HTC employees coming up with something special. I still think the Pixel phones are ugly and I have never liked that glass window at the back. it serves no purpose and IMO looks ugly.
- Having one manufacturer for both phones so they don't have different design cues like the 2/2 XL have.
- Remove the plastic coating on the back of the phone; if you're going to build a metal phone, have it feel like metal.
- Get rid of the rounded corners of the screen. I don't know why but I just don't like them at all.
- All the usual internal improvements, Snapdragon 845, 4-6gb ram, larger battery yadda yadda yadda.

If you look at ALL Pixel products and see what their brand represents, you'll get an idea of what's to come. Google (like all their products) always provides the most basic yet top notch software with very little frills.. their Pixel line is supposed to be the luxury brand for geeks, top-notch hardware and software with minimal extras. I don't think Google will ever work with Samsung again.. don't think Google wants to spend extra for Samsung's screens.. Huawei will never work with them again because they want some branding exposure. I'm not expecting to see dual cameras yet on the next phone, but instead probably a AI CPU that can do augmented reality.. Google, again, is trying to provide the most basic, yet premium hardware and stellar software experience with nothing else. Don't expect crazy innovative features, Google doesn't do that and aren't known for that.. I do expect them to create hype and limit the amount in the beginning to make it "sold out" to create value.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

What I would like will never happen. I want ir blaster and a flat screen with small bezels. I also want the traditional HD screen ratio not the long skinny monstrosities pushed by everyone these days

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you look at ALL Pixel products and see what their brand represents, you'll get an idea of what's to come. Google (like all their products) always provides the most basic yet top notch software with very little frills.. their Pixel line is supposed to be the luxury brand for geeks, top-notch hardware and software with minimal extras. I don't think Google will ever work with Samsung again.. don't think Google wants to spend extra for Samsung's screens.. Huawei will never work with them again because they want some branding exposure. I'm not expecting to see dual cameras yet on the next phone, but instead probably a AI CPU that can do augmented reality.. Google, again, is trying to provide the most basic, yet premium hardware and stellar software experience with nothing else. Don't expect crazy innovative features, Google doesn't do that and aren't known for that.. I do expect them to create hype and limit the amount in the beginning to make it "sold out" to create value.

They'll have to work with Samsung if they don't want Pixel displays by LG being called out as trash.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Google working with Samsung is out of the realm of possibility. Apple sued Samsung for a billion dollars and they still work together getting displays on the iPhone X and other components on Apples phones. Google can do the same.

I just think if LG haven't drastically improved their OLED screens (doubtful they could improve it that much in 1 year), then Google should just procure Samsung's screens. Or just move to LCD. Forget Daydream, not everyone who buys a Pixel will buy a Daydream, but every person who buys a Pixel will be looking at the screen. They can't get away with mediocre screens 2 years in a row.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac