Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

hancered

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I know it may sound weird but I really want a white phone. Yes I put a case on my phone but I prefer clear or partially clear cases and I will still see the white. I hated the thought of a 2 tone phone on the xl but I couldn't do the smaller pixel 2. I k ow that not everyone loves the same colors so most are generic so I was floored by that ugly orange button.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I know it may sound weird but I really want a white phone. Yes I put a case on my phone but I prefer clear or partially clear cases and I will still see the white. I hated the thought of a 2 tone phone on the xl but I couldn't do the smaller pixel 2. I k ow that not everyone loves the same colors so most are generic so I was floored by that ugly orange button.

I too gravitate towards white phones and will use clear or at least translucent cases. So I definitely understand your thinking.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I do like a lot of your suggestions! I feel like I'm the only one who actually loved bezels and therefore really loved the look and feel of the Pixel 2.

I do agree with you that it would be cool if a 5.5-inch variant of the Pixel 3 could exist; OR that Google makes three variants: the small Pixel 3 (5"), the medium Pixel 3 (5.5"), and the large Pixel 3 XL (6"). That would tickle my fancy - they could even make the three variants different colours like before. Sure, they could trim down the bezels; but I just don't understand the surprising amount of disdain for bezels. But that's why maybe Google could eliminate more bezels for one or two of the versions and let the other version have a bit more.
5.5 inch with new skinny ratio would look pretty tiny

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I do like a lot of your suggestions! I feel like I'm the only one who actually loved bezels and therefore really loved the look and feel of the Pixel 2.

I on the other hand disagree with almost the entire list. It seems to lose track of the plot while trying to turn the best phone in the market into just another spec sheet *****/ xda fanboy monstrosity with no thought towards the purpose of the lineup.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
So now that I/O is here, LETS BRING ON THE P3 LEAKS!
Yeah this.

Google is 110% all in with AI and machine learning, which is really exciting to think what features the Pixel 3 will have. I wonder if it'll have many Pixel exclusive things or if they want all their features available for all Android users.

On a side note, apparently Google will release a Pixel smartwatch this year, probably launching alongside the Pixel 3: https://www.androidcentral.com/goog...nounce-pixel-smartwatch-alongside-pixel-3?amp

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I agree that would look awesome but really want to know where the speakers and camera and sensors are. But there is a major rule about Forbes.

Always, wait no, never trust anything Forbes has to say about the tech industry. They're very close to bgr level nonsense with their inability to keep things honest.

Their "source" said the first prototypes have a notch. lol, yes there are prototypes with and without notches. Also, the majority of the design is final already because it's already too late to make major changes.

The decision to notch or no notch would have to have been made months ago, possibly in 2017 because that is a central part of the design of the device and where to house the components. If you don't have a notch, the front camera isn't going in the center, which means internal components are in different places, which means the where and in some cases what of internal components would still be in flux which would mean you can't place orders on parts.

If things go like last year, there are several people already testing the P3s with final or near final design as their daily drivers now and within 5-6 weeks there will be many more people testing it out for the two-three months run-up to launch. Once those devices go into tester hands, it'd usually too late to make any hardware changes unless there is an extreme issue that can't be fully solved or mitigated by software.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Leak showing supposed Pixel 3 and 3XL screen protectors: Google Pixel 3 and notched Pixel 3XL tempered glass protector film surfaces « SLASHLEAKS

a064e803gy1fqtmvvgd41j20qo0qodmm.jpg

The Pixel 3 screen looks somewhat normal, but the P3XL screen looks a bit wacky to me. Notch size is fine, and even though I know people hate them, this one isn't too big, however the bottom chin looks a bit big. I guess they're keeping the dual front facing speakers, but having the top pretty much bezel-less, then the bottom with a bezel and the top speaker grille small then the bottom one big just looks odd to me. I like symmetry, so the smaller Pixel 3 looks more appealing to me based on these screen protectors. Have to wait to see final design of course - who knows if these are even real.

Here's hoping the Pixel 3 has a 5.5" screen and a decent sized battery (~3,300mah would be fine). If it does, then I'll get that, unless the design of the P3XL looks substantially better in its final design.

Other than that, dual front facing cameras look like they could be great. HTC has dual front facing cameras for the U12+, so wonder if the P3 has been influenced here by that phone. Anyway, looks like it's leak season for the Pixel 3. If I remember correctly, June/July was when solid Pixel 2 leaks came out, so we should be seeing more and more of the phones in the coming months.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Leak showing supposed Pixel 3 and 3XL screen protectors: Google Pixel 3 and notched Pixel 3XL tempered glass protector film surfaces « SLASHLEAKS

View attachment 284813

The Pixel 3 screen looks somewhat normal, but the P3XL screen looks a bit wacky to me. Notch size is fine, and even though I know people hate them, this one isn't too big, however the bottom chin looks a bit big. I guess they're keeping the dual front facing speakers, but having the top pretty much bezel-less, then the bottom with a bezel and the top speaker grille small then the bottom one big just looks odd to me. I like symmetry, so the smaller Pixel 3 looks more appealing to me based on these screen protectors. Have to wait to see final design of course - who knows if these are even real.

Here's hoping the Pixel 3 has a 5.5" screen and a decent sized battery (~3,300mah would be fine). If it does, then I'll get that, unless the design of the P3XL looks substantially better in its final design.

Other than that, dual front facing cameras look like they could be great. HTC has dual front facing cameras for the U12+, so wonder if the P3 has been influenced here by that phone. Anyway, looks like it's leak season for the Pixel 3. If I remember correctly, June/July was when solid Pixel 2 leaks came out, so we should be seeing more and more of the phones in the coming months.

Interesting designs. Can't wait until we know more!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
While I think the Pixel 2 / 2 XL were excellent phones, they were obviously hammered by the media and fans for different issues - the mediocre screen quality and poor calibration of the 2 XL's screen

I had to read this several times to make sure this was actually what was said. You are alleging that the P2XL display was inaccurate? The fact that it was accurate was exactly what the most ignorant of reviewers hated - they wanted the oversaturated, inaccurate colors like Samsung's default settings.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I had to read this several times to make sure this was actually what was said. You are alleging that the P2XL display was inaccurate? The fact that it was accurate was exactly what the most ignorant of reviewers hated - they wanted the oversaturated, inaccurate colors like Samsung's default settings.

It was colour accurate to the DCI-P3 colour gamut which is fine. I'm saying the Pixel 2XL screen isn't quality OLED screen when compared to Samsung's offering. The myriad of issues it has were all highlighted and are all known issues with the display. Add to that the screens polarisation layer causes very noticeable blue shift.

For the price the phone is and the phones it's competing with, the screen just isn't competitive with the competition. Not for $850.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It was colour accurate to the DCI-P3 colour gamut which is fine. I'm saying the Pixel 2XL screen isn't quality OLED screen when compared to Samsung's offering. The myriad of issues it has were all highlighted and are all known issues with the display. Add to that the screens polarisation layer causes very noticeable blue shift.

For the price the phone is and the phones it's competing with, the screen just isn't competitive with the competition. Not for $850.

I posted because it said, "...and poor calibration of the 2 XL's screen". I get that you think the P2XL displays are poor quality. I don't think that is true, but I do understand that's your opinion. I'm trying to understand why you said it is poorly calibrated.