Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Really reaching now.

Reaching? That's literally what the Pixel 2 & LG G5 has. A metal unibody, coated with a primer then a coat of paint on top of that. Other metal phones have anodised aluminium which colour the metal itself, so you get that metal feel. No primer, no paint.

I'm not spreading misinformation, that's the truth of the matter.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
It's the same coating - metal with a primer over it, then paint over the primer. Your hand is not touching metal when you're holding a Pixel 2/2 XL, despite it being advertised as a metal unibody. It is a metal unibody, covered in a plastic coating.

So I'm sure a lot of people who were disappointed with the build of the Pixel 2 will be happier with the glass build on the Pixel 3 - and the wireless charging of the Pixel 3 is an additional bonus.

And I get it...you prefer metal. The fact that you like metal doesn't make it better for everyone.
"Paint" and "plastic" are not the same word.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's the same coating - metal with a primer over it, then paint over the primer. Your hand is not touching metal when you're holding a Pixel 2/2 XL, despite it being advertised as a metal unibody. It is a metal unibody, covered in a plastic coating.

So I'm sure a lot of people who were disappointed with the build of the Pixel 2 will be happier with the glass build on the Pixel 3 - and the wireless charging of the Pixel 3 is an additional bonus.

And I get it...you prefer metal. The fact that you like metal doesn't make it better for everyone.

It's not the same coating...the G5 has a thick coat of epoxy primer and then paint.

My hand is not touching metal? My hand doesn't touch metal when I touch my car than either....see how silly that sounds? Does your hand touch glass if you put a case on your phone?

I didn't say I like metal. Metal is more durable than glass. No one cares about feel unless they use their phone without a case.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
It's not the same coating...the G5 has a thick coat of epoxy primer and then paint.

My hand is not touching metal? My hand doesn't touch metal when I touch my car than either....see how silly that sounds? Does your hand touch glass if you put a case on your phone?

I didn't say I like metal. Metal is more durable than glass. No one cares about feel unless they use their phone without a case.

Well I don't think it's silly. I'm not touching the outside body of my car while I'm driving. I am however always touching the body of my phone every time I'm using it. So to me, I do want something that feels great in the hand. Didn't think the Pixel 2 XL felt great. Felt like a cheapish plastic phone to me and at $850, it certainly was not in line with other high-end smartphones around the same price range.

Metal is a fine material, but covering it in the coating was not a good idea imo. Not sure why it was added, maybe to hide the antenna lines, but I don't think it was worth it. Maybe Google don't think it was worth it either, hence why they're ditching it in the Pixel 3.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't think it's silly. I'm not touching the outside body of my car while I'm driving. I am however always touching the body of my phone every time I'm using it. So to me, I do want something that feels great in the hand. Didn't think the Pixel 2 XL felt great. Felt like a cheapish plastic phone to me and at $850, it certainly was not in line with other high-end smartphones around the same price range.

Metal is a fine material, but covering it in the coating was not a good idea imo. Not sure why it was added, maybe to hide the antenna lines, but I don't think it was worth it. Maybe Google don't think it was worth it either, hence why they're ditching it in the Pixel 3.

I'm done with this conversation. Point was your hand is still touching metal.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Some more fan renders by Phone Designer on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner/status/1006343021649121281
https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner/status/1006532430155649024
https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner/status/1007180729674076160

View attachment 285418
View attachment 285417

Look quite nice. The glass will be stunning and looks like the bottom part of the back of the phone will be a frosted/matte glass. I like the look of it quite a bit. Much more sophisticated/well thought than the previous Pixel.

I really like it! And I too think that it is very sophisticated-looking!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Roundup of Pixel 3 leaks so far from Android Central:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g53d8qKI23U

Good video. Agree with Alex Dobie's comment about hoping the display quality is a big step up from last year's lacklustre Pixel 2 XL display. And yeah, 4gb ram seems a bit odd. Hope that it's just an early prototype and the final moves towards 6gb. A lot of other flagship phones seem to have 6gb ram and 128gb, would be great if Google moves that way too.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Well it is my opinion that changing the back to all glass is better than before with the P2/2XL. I look nicer aesthetically, it allows for wireless charging which metal did not, and feels better in the hand over metal with plastic coating over it.

So knowing what the P2XL looks and feels like to knowing it's going to a glass build, imo it's a great change. Very glad Google aren't going with the P2/2XL metal/plastic coating this year. Plus wireless charging is a bonus. Maybe Google could bundle wireless chargers for those who preorder or something.

Why don't you just get an iPhone? Everything you post tries to turn everything into an iPhone. Are you an iPhone user? You sure sound like it.

WE DON'T WANT iPHONE CLONES. Glass backs are stupid. They break, they scuff, they require cases, they are dumb, stupid and idiotic. Here we go again with this "premium feel" trash that popped up last year.

Dr Claw

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
So what would you like to see with the 3 & 3 XL?

Since I've given up hope for a headphone jack, it's much of what you've already mentioned.
The #1 thing for me is a 256GB (or more) storage model. Without microSD expansion, that is the minimum that I will accept in a phone.

Signs point to a Pixel 3 with bezels similar to the 2XL, while in the smaller form factor. That is very much appealing.

More color options, none of them carrier specific (looking at Verizon).

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Since I've given up hope for a headphone jack, it's much of what you've already mentioned.
The #1 thing for me is a 256GB (or more) storage model. Without microSD expansion, that is the minimum that I will accept in a phone.

Signs point to a Pixel 3 with bezels similar to the 2XL, while in the smaller form factor. That is very much appealing.

More color options, none of them carrier specific (looking at Verizon).

Your phone options are pretty limited then.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Mods:

We're getting closer now, can we get a dedicated "Pixel 3" section in the "Upcoming and Rumored Android Devices" Forum?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois