Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think the regular Pixel 3 will be at my sweet spot. Not sure I can deal w/ the size of the XL and the notch would drive my OCD crazy. Are their plans for this to be a Verizon release again? I've had an upgrade to burn for years as I got my Pixel and 6P through Google. I would rather subsidize this rather than fork out almost a G

Verizon offers a no interest payment plan instead of subsided or you can finance through Google

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Why are people so stressed out about the notch on the 3XL? You should be able to turn it off like on the other Android phones and then the forehead and chin will be symmetrical. Is it just another thing to complain about to justify not purchasing the phone when it hasn't even been out yet?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Why are people so stressed out about the notch on the 3XL? You should be able to turn it off like on the other Android phones and then the forehead and chin will be symmetrical. Is it just another thing to complain about to justify not purchasing the phone when it hasn't even been out yet?
Yeah, the WORLD is burning, lol. Sheesh.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the regular Pixel 3 will be at my sweet spot. Not sure I can deal w/ the size of the XL and the notch would drive my OCD crazy. Are their plans for this to be a Verizon release again? I've had an upgrade to burn for years as I got my Pixel and 6P through Google. I would rather subsidize this rather than fork out almost a G
Yeah the regular Pixel 3 looks good, though I'll have to read up on how the battery life is like and what differences (aside from screen size) it has from the 3 XL.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Verizon offers a no interest payment plan instead of subsided or you can finance through Google

Wait, Google does financing for these phones?? Awesome. I was unaware. I have an OG Pixel but only got it as a replacement for my 6P so I never outright purchased it from Google. When I bought my 6P I just paid the full amount. This is great news Google provides you w/ a finance option. I just went to their site and see it for the Pixel 2.

Thanks for the heads up!! Would much rather it come from Google than Verizon.

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the regular Pixel 3 looks good, though I'll have to read up on how the battery life is like and what differences (aside from screen size) it has from the 3 XL.

Battery life is a never ending battle so I doubt it'll be good enough lol. I don't think they'll put out a phone that performs poorly in that department since that is most people's number 1 gripe. This isn't saying it'll be up to desires b/c it won't but I'm sure it'll still be good. I've stated this many times before and I still stand firm; if someone gave us a phone that lasted 1.5 days on good use, people would still complain the battery life isn't good lol. Not talking about you but some of the crap I've read on here... sheesh, impossible to please!!

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If pixel 3 is indeed 5.3 inches,then I'd most likely go with it over xl. the pixel 2 was just too small for my liking. So 5.3 would be a lot better.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If pixel 3 is indeed 5.3 inches,then I'd most likely go with it over xl. the pixel 2 was just too small for my liking. So 5.3 would be a lot better.
I'm also considering the regular Pixel 3.

The 2 XL (and likely the 3 XL) are large to the point where it's uncomfortable to use one handed for me, and I have pretty large hands.

As long as there isn't some distinct advantage the XL model has, I might just stick with the smaller version.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
The P2 and P3 are almost the exact same body size, the main difference is a slightly thinner and taller display and smaller top and bottom bezels. If the P2 was too small, the P3 will be too.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Even though I just bought the Pixel 2 XL last week, I have a feeling I'm going to get the Pixel 3 XL and skip the new iPhone this year.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Great video from Android Central, "Pixel 3: 5 things Google needs to fix for its 2018 flagship"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-5JkZJEpo

1. Google Feed - This definitely needs an upgrade. Used to be great, but now has degraded a lot. Assistant panel would be much more useful.

2. One-handed mode - This would be nice. The 2 XL is very large and hard to use one-handed, a one-handed mode would. If this were implemented, then I might be tempted to go with the 3 XL as I'm currently leaning towards the 3.

3. Better P-OLED display - Agree, agree, AGREE!! Needs to be much, much better than what we got with the 2XL, especially for the price Google are charging. Really don't see Google getting away with a sub-par display in 2018.

4. Kick-*** low-light mode - Sticking with one camera lens at the back seems kind of risky, seeing as the competition have multiple lenses and have great features because of them. So really hope that low light performance in the P3 is superb. I would have liked a telephoto/wide-angle lens(es) too, but seems like Google are confident in their single lens...hope they're right.

5. Optional software buttons - Agree. The half-gesture, half-button system in Android P is not very good imo. Doesn't work well and feels half-baked. Either go completely gesture or stick with the buttons.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I watched that video last night and pretty much agree.

1. I actually like Google Feed, but can understand why the majority of users prefer the Google Now cards to the left of the homepage instead.

2. I don't use XL/+ sized phones, but could see the benefit in implementing this as a feature.

3. I'm not heavy on aesthetics, but agree Google needs to show better QC with the 3 series. Hopefully they've learned a lot from last year.

4. Agree with this a lot. If this year's Pixel does stay with a single camera, it's going to have to continue to be cutting edge and hopefully they haven't rested on their laurels.

5. This one, I think, is going to cause more issues than we can foresee with users. I look at Android P and see it disappointing a lot of people because of the lack of commitment in either direction. Both methods will end up feeling "short" to users and not fully satisfy either group. Half-measures rarely go well.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

The iPhone X is what I want in a phone when it come to size and screen ratio, hence why I think I am going with the Pixel 3 next time instead of the XL version.

1. I actually like Google Feed, but can understand why the majority of users prefer the Google Now cards to the left of the homepage instead.

2. I don't use XL/+ sized phones, but could see the benefit in implementing this as a feature.

3. I'm not heavy on aesthetics, but agree Google needs to show better QC with the 3 series. Hopefully they've learned a lot from last year.

4. Agree with this a lot. If this year's Pixel does stay with a single camera, it's going to have to continue to be cutting edge and hopefully they haven't rested on their laurels.

5. This one, I think, is going to cause more issues than we can foresee with users. I look at Android P and see it disappointing a lot of people because of the lack of commitment in either direction. Both methods will end up feeling "short" to users and not fully satisfy either group. Half-measures rarely go well.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I like the iPhone X size and so when I go to the next Pixel 3 I will not be getting the XL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12