Google Pixel 3 / 3 XL 2018

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. You laid it out better than I did.
We don't have to discuss price relative to the individual. All you have to do is show that other $900 dollar phones have more RAM or storage. Or show that even cheaper phones have more RAM. Google can afford more RAM and more storage if they wanted to in their similarly priced devices. They don't want to, and that's what's unfortunate.

Anyone see the Note 9 announcement from today? You can do the same thing here. The Note 9 looks like a way better value at $999 versus say the iPhone X at the same price with less features/specs. We don't need to mention whether $999 is worthwhile or not for me or anyone else to notice this.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm over the fact that the Pixel 3 models will only have 4GB, but the above poster is right, it's absurd to assume that going with 4GB of RAM means the money saved automatically makes other areas improve due to re-allocated resources. You don't know this. Nobody knows except Google, how resources are allocated. I'm confident Google could have found some way to fund an additional 2GB of RAM without sacrificing quality elsewhere. Why so little faith in a multi-billion dollar company? Isn't RAM affordable these days? You're saying Samsung can do it, but Google can't?

It's also silly to keep bringing up the iPhone with 3GB of RAM. So what? That's a different OS. Isn't Android multi-tasking much better than iOS' anyway? Doesn't it make sense to compare something closer, like another Android device? And why compare down? Why not compare up, say like MKBHD does with the OnePlus 6? Why are we setting the bar to "good enough?"

Heck, let's just discuss the Pixel 2 XL -- MKBHD and others have already said the RAM affects real world usage. Why do we keep ignoring this when they're telling us point blank?

And as I said before, if limited RAM means I have to wait for apps to reload, then that is slower. If I can use an app right away versus seeing a big white screen and then waiting for the content to reload before I can use it, that is slower. You can argue that the wait to reload is tiny or that you yourself don't use so many apps that you often see reloads, but none of that changes the fact that it is slower.

The Pixel 3 models will have 4GB of RAM. We all have to come to terms with that and then make our own decisions with our own wallets, but some of the arguments and excuses made here for Google are unfortunate. Google doesn't need your defense. What Google needs to do is compete better, plain and simple.
I think the biggest difference is twofold:

1) Samsung is a hardware company that is notorious for sucking at software. They corrupt resource management in Android and try to solve their bad software by throwing hardware at it. Rinse repeat for LG, Huawei, OnePlus, etc.

2) Google is a software company that wrote everything we recognize as Android and they excel at doing far more with the same level of hardware as others.

Google is invested in software. Every single other OEM is invested solely in the hardware game.

Google, and Apple, in a slight different manner, are doing more with less because they use their respective OS resource management as they are intended to be used and optimization is part of the nature of the game. Other OEMs can't do this because they're playing a different game.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I think the biggest difference is twofold:

1) Samsung is a hardware company that is notorious for sucking at software. They corrupt resource management in Android and try to solve their bad software by throwing hardware at it. Rinse repeat for LG, Huawei, OnePlus, etc.

2) Google is a software company that wrote everything we recognize as Android and they excel at doing far more with the same level of hardware as others.

Google is invested in software. Every single other OEM is invested solely in the hardware game.

Google, and Apple, in a slight different manner, are doing more with less because they use their respective OS resource management as they are intended to be used and optimization is part of the nature of the game. Other OEMs can't do this because they're playing a different game.

I hear ya. Samsung does hardware exceptionally well. Google does software exceptionally well. Apple does a sort of happy medium of both hardware and software.

Google is making hardware now. I don't believe they need to sacrifice any software prowess to make good hardware. Just like we and tech blogs urge Samsung to improve their software and updating process, so should we be critical of Google and encourage them to improve and catch up on hardware.

Anyway, at the end of the day, what do I know? :) I just want to see Google compete better for the betterment of us all. That's all. Thanks for the friendly banter.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I hear ya. Samsung does hardware exceptionally well. Google does software exceptionally well. Apple does a sort of happy medium of both hardware and software.

Google is making hardware now. I don't believe they need to sacrifice any software prowess to make good hardware. Just like we and tech blogs urge Samsung to improve their software and updating process, so should we be critical of Google and encourage their improving their hardware.

But at the end of the day, what do I really know? I just hope to see Google compete better. That's all. Thanks for the friendly banter. :)
I agree with you a lot on this. I'm probably trying to be too fair by explaining what I perceive reasoning as their perspective and not describing what I think they ought to do or what I would want them to do.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
We all got a wish list and opinions about what Google should do with the Pixel. I get the hardware argument, just see the solution through down another path.

I'm not interested in seeing them start turning the guns on other OEM partners and marketing against them. So when we talk about competing, it begs the questions against and for what prize? If that answer is another Android OEM and cannibalizing each other for the same market share, I don't see the point in that.

Can the aesthetics be improved? Sure, why not? Would I like them to work on their own silicone ..? yep. I just don't think that where their offering is today is as flawed as some posts would suggest. Advancement on the optimization, the software side, their strength is where I want time and resources spent.

...and AI above it all!:p

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Looks like google is placing a smaller battery in the Pixel 3 xl. This is on the front page of Android central. 3,430 mAh battery. SMH

Yeah I remember telling everyone that was probably going to happen with the battery back in June. Here's the post for that. https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=892204&p=6270146&viewfull=1#post6270146

One thing about the new leak is that the screen size is VERY different. The difference between 6.3 or 6.4 and 6.7 is pretty different. That's a good reason to always take leaks with a grain of salt.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Looks like google is placing a smaller battery in the Pixel 3 xl. This is on the front page of Android central. 3,430 mAh battery. SMH

Maybe the newer processor will be even more apt at handling battery life than the processor on the 2. At this point though, it's still speculation. We'll see what's happening soon!

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Updated the June list as follows for everything we "know" that's been leaked spec wise:

Update:

"Confirmed"

Snapdragon 845
4 GB LPDDR4X RAM
1 rear camera, 12 MP
2 front cameras, 8 MP
6.3" OLED display, resolution 18.5:9 aspect ratio, might be 6.7", 1440 x 2960 resolution, 494 PPI
UFS 2.1 storage, 64 & 128 GB options confirmed, other options not likely
Dual front facing stereo speakers.
USB type C charging port
No headphone jack
Rear fingerprint sensor
Android 9 (Pie)
Notch
Glass back, wireless charging
Battery size 3430 @ 3.7V
Active Edge
Black color option, white color opttion with light blue/green power button
SIM card slot, on the bottom

Last edited:

Nauga

Nov 9, 2017
Visit site
The difference between 6.3" and 6.7" display is .22" wider and .35" taller, which is quite a bit bigger device - 2in^2 area difference.
Wider sounds good to me, but it's gonna be one helluva tall phone given the 18.5:9 aspect ratio. 6.5" tall at least, no?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Looks like we have battery size and default onboard storage size.

Google continues being frugal.
This.
We've got other phones with 4,000mah batteries in smaller packages, 6gb ram, 128gb storage. Can't believe they're sticking with 64gb internal storage and putting an even smaller battery in the 3XL than they did with the 2XL. The nearly bankrupt HTC can put in better specs in their phone than Google, one of the biggest companies in the world, yeah ok.

I was tossing up between the 3 and 3XL, now I'm going to hard pass on the 3XL. This is a joke.

I'll wait and see what the Pixel 3 has.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
This.
We've got other phones with 4,000mah batteries in smaller packages, 6gb ram, 128gb storage. Can't believe they're sticking with 64gb internal storage and putting an even smaller battery in the 3XL than they did with the 2XL. The nearly bankrupt HTC can put in better specs in their phone than Google, one of the biggest companies in the world, yeah ok.

This Pixel 3XL doesn't really fit the bill for a2018 flagship. If it has a Snapdragon 835 then it'd be the Pixel 2 XL again.

I was tossing up between the 3 and 3XL, now I'm going to hard pass on the 3XL. This is a joke.

I'll wait and see what the Pixel 3 has.

Pixel 3 is almost definitely the same thing, somewhat miniaturized, with a smaller battery, no notch and a 1080p display.