Google Pixel 3/XL wishlist(Specifically the Camera(s))

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Just looking at what Samsung made possible with the dual aperture camera system and Huawei did with the amazing P20 Pro camera setup has me thinking about the Pixel 3/XL. The Pixel 2/XL are still awesome and compete against everything available today with only one camera. They still have the best portrait mode for the rear and selfie camera. Firstly, I hope Google bucks the Apple and Samsung way of separating the regular and larger models with lesser hardware. Tied in with that idea I'm hoping to see Google finally break into the two camera setup. I hope they implement a longer 3x optical zoom with at the least a 12mp sensor. Seeing as Huawei was able to pack a whopping 1/1.7" sensor in such a slim form factor I'd like to see Google combine both hardware and software this year. Hopefully Google uses a larger sensor and bump up the mp count past the 12.2 threshold. I think 20mp is the sweet spot if they used a larger sensor and kept the pixel size close to 1.4 microns. That paired with Google's software wizardry would definitely put the Pixel 3 duo above everything else including the inflated DxOMark scores of the P20 Pro which appear to be somewhat deserved except for the high video score. As far as video I want to see 4k@60fps with no 5 minute cap. Don't really care for the 960fps@720p stuff but 1080p@480fps with no limits would just be magical. Their stabilization system is already top notch. Maybe increase the front camera to 10mp just because but Google has that on lock already.

Bonus: Finally I hope Google makes a camera for everyone like Samsung and Huawei (and my personal favorite LG). That means a pro mode built right into the camera app. I would love to have an amazing pro mode just a few taps away for long exposures or creative focus shots without having to rely on third party apps to do this. Point and shoot is great but give a little for the creatives out there too. Anyway, this probably won't happen but just some wishful thinking.

I'm excited about the two heavy hitters we have so far in the Galaxy S9/+ and P20 Pro with the P20 Pro catering more towards people like me.They should at least have some fuel and motivation from the competition to push their camera system even more. Knowing Google, they're going to hit back hard this fall with their third iteration of Pixel phones. If Google cooks up anything with a few ingredients from my small list above, it'll probably be my next phone. What do you want to see specifically from the Pixel 3 camera?

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL is still one of the best cameras, I do not expect Google to invest in upgrading this year unfortunately. From what I have seen this year it does not look like Google is really looking to change much with the phone at all expect updating the internals and going with glass over painted metal.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't care if it's one camera or two on the back, but better zooming would be appreciated. Other than the camera is already amazing.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Right now the camera better be a measurable, all-reviewers-agree, 100% hands-down major improvement over the current best crop of other Android phone cameras available in the US. I mean it needs to be clearly better than the S9+ in every situation in every photo comparison I see, do some crazy low-light shooting, slo-mo, etc.

Because right now that is the only thing that will cause me to get this phone - assuming all leaked images and stats are true. Which they probably are. Ugh.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If they don't improve the camera much, there would seem to be little to cause customers to come running at this price. For me, I want:

- A better display (it should be great at this price point, not just passable like my 2 XL)
- BIGGER battery. No explanation needed. Figure it out Google.
- Improved camera (this should always be on the list). It would have been nice to have the dual rear cameras, but that's not happening. No or little improvement in the camera would be a massive let down at this price.

The rest is gravy to me. I used to love wireless charging, but having gone without it the last 2 years, I have really not missed it one bit.

At $900+ Google needs to understand that they need premium specs and features here. We'll see though, I feel like they are sort of phoning this one in. Ridiculous notch, single rear camera, 4GB of RAM, average battery size. Doesn't add up to a premium $900 experience IMO. I'll still end up getting it I expect, but perhaps not ...

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If they don't improve the camera much, there would seem to be little to cause customers to come running at this price. For me, I want:

- A better display (it should be great at this price point, not just passable like my 2 XL)
- BIGGER battery. No explanation needed. Figure it out Google.
- Improved camera (this should always be on the list). It would have been nice to have the dual rear cameras, but that's not happening. No or little improvement in the camera would be a massive let down at this price.

The rest is gravy to me. I used to love wireless charging, but having gone without it the last 2 years, I have really not missed it one bit.

At $900+ Google needs to understand that they need premium specs and features here. We'll see though, I feel like they are sort of phoning this one in. Ridiculous notch, single rear camera, 4GB of RAM, average battery size. Doesn't add up to a premium $900 experience IMO. I'll still end up getting it I expect, but perhaps not ...

Well then you're part of the "problem" (I don't think there's a problem with anything that's leaked so far).

Complain about all the decisions they make, but yet buying the device anyway. Money talks, so if you think there's a problem, don't spend your money on it. Otherwise, based on sales, Google will be content with their effort.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Truth. I may do just this. We'll see how it looks when more is revealed.
Well then you're part of the "problem" (I don't think there's a problem with anything that's leaked so far).

Complain about all the decisions they make, but yet buying the device anyway. Money talks, so if you think there's a problem, don't spend your money on it. Otherwise, based on sales, Google will be content with their effort.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If the Huawei P20 Pro is such a great phone and camera, has any of y'all thought about getting it.

Sounds like y'all like the Pixel but the Pixel has a lot of things you don't like.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+
Don't like Bixby and when I disable it and hit the button on the side or it does a software update, its back.

I read that the camera has a brighter and better picture on the Samsung S8 than the Pixel 2.

What are your thoughts.

And Pixel don't have a SD card Slot. After looking at Googles stuff, After so much backup on googles cloud.
They want to start charging a monthly fee. Not interested in a monthly fee. That is why I like SD cards.

And pixel seems to not have a big enough battery.

Any thoughts on this.

Know the google Pixel 3XL comes out next month.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae